Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Engine sat for over a year, engine block still good? *Pics*

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 04:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine sat for over a year, engine block still good? *Pics*

I was wondering if this block is still good... or if it can be cleaned or is it a total loss?

Old 07-10-2006, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Engine sat for over a year, engine block still good? *Pics* (fms1day)

I would definitely hone the block. It's not at a loss.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Engine sat for over a year, engine block still good? *Pics* (BlueIntegraBoy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueIntegraBoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would definitely hone the block. It's not at a loss.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 07-10-2006, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Engine sat for over a year, engine block still good? *Pics* (JRLOCC)

Id hot tank and hone it personally. But that means gutting the motor down to minimum and starting over.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:50 PM

Default Re: Engine sat for over a year, engine block still good? *Pics* (Luserkid)

Definately clean it up real good and it should be fine
Old 07-10-2006, 06:00 PM

Default Re: Engine sat for over a year, engine block still good? *Pics* (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Id hot tank and hone it personally. But that means gutting the motor down to minimum and starting over. </TD></TR></TABLE>

By gutting you mean?

Because I'm upgrading rods and pistons... so taking the oil pan and bearings and all that is already in the menu... all hoses and water pump and etc too right?

Btw guys... sorry for the engine building noobness but what exactly is honing?

And hot tanking?

Rather have the meaning of it embedded in me than to just go to a shop and say I want this honed and hot tanked; they do it; and I still don't know wtf they did.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:10 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Engine sat for over a year, engine block still good? *Pics* (fms1day)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fms1day &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">By gutting you mean?

Because I'm upgrading rods and pistons... so taking the oil pan and bearings and all that is already in the menu... all hoses and water pump and etc too right?

Btw guys... sorry for the engine building noobness but what exactly is honing?

And hot tanking?

Rather have the meaning of it embedded in me than to just go to a shop and say I want this honed and hot tanked; they do it; and I still don't know wtf they did.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hot tanking is a cleaning process involving a vat of high-temperature chemicals.

Honing is where they take a precise machine and re-round your cylinders so that the new rings seal properly.

Old 07-10-2006, 06:11 PM

Default Re: Engine sat for over a year, engine block still good? *Pics* (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Hot tanking is a cleaning process involving a vat of high-temperature chemicals.

Honing is where they take a precise machine and re-round your cylinders so that the new rings seal properly.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks... and the avg cost for this?
Old 07-10-2006, 06:26 PM
Farts in the shower

Hot tank and maybe hone the block and you should be golden!
Old 07-10-2006, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine sat for over a year, engine block still good? *Pics* (.ken)

the price depends on who is doing it. also depends on if your are just honing or if your boring it. i would say average cost if you already have the short block disassembled would be somewhere between 500-800 with everything.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:05 PM

Default Re: Engine sat for over a year, engine block still good? *Pics* (veganstraightedge)

wow...
Old 07-10-2006, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Id hot tank and hone it personally. But that means gutting the motor down to minimum and starting over. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yar.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:34 PM

Default Re: Engine sat for over a year, engine block still good? *Pics* (veganstraightedge)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by veganstraightedge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the price depends on who is doing it. also depends on if your are just honing or if your boring it. i would say average cost if you already have the short block disassembled would be somewhere between 500-800 with everything. </TD></TR></TABLE>

thats expensive.

Take the motor apart yourself using some sort of service manual. I know machines shop from where I live that will bore/hone a motor for $20 a cylinder. Its even cheaper if you just want a hone.

After a hone you will need new rings, roughly $24 a set for one piston from Honda.

Hot tanks are usually free after they bore/hone.

You can even get your motor bored oversized($80), get new pistons with rings ($200), and bearings ($100 for mains and rods), get your wrist pins pressed into your new pistons ($25? usually free if you get oem spec pistons from your machine shop.) The total of that is less then veganstraightedge's $500.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Engine sat for over a year, engine block still good? *Pics* (Djaric)

shop around dude...My machine shop "jet washed" a head for $12 and it came out very nice! It shouldnt cost much more to do a block...I paid ~ $125 for a bore and hone too...Decking the block should run $20-$50...Total machine work for my engine was about $300, which i think is not excessive.

But first, wipe the cylinders with a rag and wd40..If its not too bad, wipe it with a little scotchbrite. Generally speaking,if you cant catch a finger nail on it, its probably ok...
If you want to be really sure, put the head on it and do a leakdown test.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine sat for over a year, engine block still good? *Pics* (PyroProblem)

i've seen worse, even used blocks with scores in cylinder 3
Old 07-10-2006, 07:56 PM

Default Re: Engine sat for over a year, engine block still good? *Pics* (Br1anPham)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Br1anPham &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

thats expensive.

Take the motor apart yourself using some sort of service manual. I know machines shop from where I live that will bore/hone a motor for $20 a cylinder. Its even cheaper if you just want a hone.

After a hone you will need new rings, roughly $24 a set for one piston from Honda.

Hot tanks are usually free after they bore/hone.

You can even get your motor bored oversized($80), get new pistons with rings ($200), and bearings ($100 for mains and rods), get your wrist pins pressed into your new pistons ($25? usually free if you get oem spec pistons from your machine shop.) The total of that is less then veganstraightedge's $500.</TD></TR></TABLE>

PM'ed!
Old 07-10-2006, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nah, wipe it down with some lube, clean it good by hand

it will be fine
Old 07-10-2006, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Sketch_hs)

its usually like 15-20 bucks a cyl. for a hone and hot tank is like 50 bucks.

whoever said 500 is an idiot.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:59 PM

Default Re: (Sketch_hs)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sketch_hs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nah, wipe it down with some lube, clean it good by hand

it will be fine</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah I'll probably try to wipe it down so that when i bring it for a hone and hot tank.. the shop wont use the ecessive dirtiness as an excuse for extra charging.. like "oh that's a lot of corrosion, we'll need to do alot more to it" blah blah blah crap
Old 07-10-2006, 09:11 PM

Default Re: (fms1day)

I bought a civic from auction a while back the block was sitting without the hood on it and there was some rust on the cylinder walls. I wiped it off the best I could them rotated the crank a couple times and it came clean
Old 07-10-2006, 09:30 PM
dotmichael to you

Default Re: (Ls_V_TurboSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by veganstraightedge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the price depends on who is doing it. also depends on if your are just honing or if your boring it. i would say average cost if you already have the short block disassembled would be somewhere between 500-800 with everything. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Who said anything about boring?
Old 07-10-2006, 11:14 PM

Default Re: (. M i c h a e l)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by . M i c h a e l &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Who said anything about boring?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Heh, true. Just need to hone and hot tank...according to the heads here on H-T. Thanks a bunch guys.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:32 PM

i wouldnt even touch it until you have all the torque specs for that motor
Old 07-10-2006, 11:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (slkleltlclh)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slkleltlclh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i wouldnt even touch it until you have all the torque specs for that motor</TD></TR></TABLE>

Because he can't look it up later?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Djaric &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yar. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Someone just watched Pirates of the Caribean...
Old 07-11-2006, 11:50 AM

Default Re: (slkleltlclh)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slkleltlclh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i wouldnt even touch it until you have all the torque specs for that motor</TD></TR></TABLE>

I Have a HELMS. THanks.

Quick Reply: Engine sat for over a year, engine block still good? *Pics*