Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Engine RPM Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 12:44 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine RPM Question

Hello

Per many of your wonderful instructions on here, I took out the throttle body and the idle air valve and gave them both a good cleaning due to fluctuating RPM.

After the clean, the car has alot of extra power and runs on the freeway fine and can climb hills much better. But I have noticed couple of things since the clean.

1. When I start the car, the RPM goes up and then falls to about 1.5x1000 RPM, but does not fluctuate as it did before, but the RPM does go up to about 2x1000 and then drops to 1.5 where it stays in idle.

2. When I put the car into reverse to get out of the garage, the RPM jumps back up to about 2x1000 before dropping back down. (The only fluctuation)

3. When I hit the brake and release it, the RPM goes up slightly and then falls back.

The crazy up and down RPM has stopped since the clean but the above 3 things that I have listed exist. Is this part of normal operation? Is there something wrong?
Old 03-02-2009, 12:53 AM

Default Re: Engine RPM Question

did you take the tb off the manifold? if so did you replace the gasket? if so are you sure you got the right one or installed it properlly?

it sound like you may have a small vacuum leak, there is a screw at the very top of your tb facing towards where your battery and about half an inche in size.

that screw adjusts your idle play with it and see if you can adjust it down to 700-800rpms at idle and see if that helps. mark the initial placement of the screw so you can go back to where it was before if it gets worse(probably wont go bad and very easy to fix if it does)
Old 03-02-2009, 12:57 AM
New User

Default Re: Engine RPM Question

Originally Posted by V8 Eater
did you take the tb off the manifold? if so did you replace the gasket? if so are you sure you got the right one or installed it properlly?

it sound like you may have a small vacuum leak, there is a screw at the very top of your tb facing towards where your battery and about half an inche in size.

that screw adjusts your idle play with it and see if you can adjust it down to 700-800rpms at idle and see if that helps. mark the initial placement of the screw so you can go back to where it was before if it gets worse(probably wont go bad and very easy to fix if it does)
Yes took the TB off the manifold. Yes the gaskets were all replaced. Got all replacment from Honda, and we reversed all the steps that we took it off.