Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Engine Noises and Bad Coolant Leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Noises and Bad Coolant Leak

My 95 civic is having some problems D16Z6 engine, I've put a ton of money into this car at shops.. I'm getting tired of it

Anyways, somehow my radiator is losing all of it's coolant in one day. I drove about 50-60 miles yesterday. Before I left I filled up my radiator
When I got home the engine was making a whining type sound, and a turbine type sound almost like a belt was going out, but it's not a belt. I checked the radiator it was empty so I filled it up and the sounds are gone I can't find a leak anywhere.

Here's the thing, about 4 days ago I was driving at about 45mph in 3rd gear and heard a loud pop sound come from my engine, I shifted into fourth and it didn't seem like it caused a problem, but the problems above started after that. I was losing coolant before that but not this bad.

I won't lie i've been beating on this car for a while, I'm not surprised something is messed up.

Any tips? I googled this and only found results for a miata which didn't help me much

It has about 165,000 miles on the engine if that helps any

Thanks

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the car isn't overheating, well at least it says its not.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Engine Noises and Bad Coolant Leak

If you lost all your coolant in 50-60 miles, it's going *somewhere*... and fast. Any white smoke out the tailpipe? Check hoses for cracks or leaks? What does your oil look like?

What exactly did you google?
Old 07-08-2014, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=slogfilet;49825335]it's going *somewhere*... and fast. Any white smoke out the tailpipe? Check hoses for cracks or leaks? What does your oil look like?QUOTE]

I second this! Sounds like blown head gasket, but without more information we wont know.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I googled this "honda loses all coolant in a day and makes a squeeling noise" haha
And oil is fine I just had it changed less than a month ago 10w30 synthblend. I have had a small amount of smoke from the exhaust.

Work I've had done lately though is:

Full clutch replacement including all bearings resurfaced fly wheel and new pressure plate
New clutch master and slave cylinder
New valve cover gasket
New distributor
New vtec seal
Fuel injectors were cleaned
Oil and transmission fluid was changed

Have a small leak from my oil pan still, not bad though but I plan on getting it replaced.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No hoses are leaking, white smoke does come out when I rev up high..

But here's 1 thing that is probably important to note when I heard that pop noise it was right after redlining 1st and second I was up to about 70mph slowed down and shifted into 3rd, then pop. It was a scary sound lol
Old 07-08-2014, 02:50 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If you're not leaking it you're burning it. And just because the oil is clean doesn't mean it's not the headgasket. I don't know where people get the idea that mixing oil and coolant or white smoke from the tailpipeares the only signs of a headgasket issue. I'm dealing with a minor HG issue and have neither. But I am burning coolant.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by YoungWisdom
white smoke does come out when I rev up high..
And from what you're saying, you like to rev it quite a bit. A little white smoke? A lot of white smoke? This strongly suggests you need a new head gasket.

You may have changed the oil in the last month, but take a at the dipstick and underneath the oil cap. You can also get a block testing kit to check for a head gasket failure... but losing all your coolant with no leaking hoses (if that is correct) suggests a head gasket. Do you know a good machine shop?

Also, that is a terrible google search.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
I don't know where people get the idea that mixing oil and coolant or white smoke from the tailpipeares the only signs of a headgasket issue.
That's actually a really good point... those symptoms tell you that you may (likely)have a head gasket issue. *Not* having those symptoms does not mean your hg is fine.

Similar to bad wheel bearings... if your wheel doesn't wiggle side to side, you haven't ruled out a bad bearing.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea a little white smoke not a lot, engine sounds a bit tinny, doesn't sound healthy to me to be honest.. I think a rod bearing is going out as well. I've been checking hoses all day nothing is leaking. I don't know of a machine shop around here.

My google search did suck haha...

So signs point towards the head gasket?

i'm looking into doing an engine re-build soon. But I need to figure this out so I have a car for now.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:02 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

We're 9 posts in, and no one has told OP to do a compression test yet? HT, I am disappointed.

OP, do a compression test. After you've done that, put the car on jack stands, start it up, and let it run. See where the coolant is going. I seriously doubt you're burning an entire radiator system worth of fluid in 60 miles, without any adverse reactions.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't know how to do a compression test lol i'm not positive it's every bit of coolant that I'm losing but it's a lot, can't say for sure that it is losing all of its coolant.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:13 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Google it. This is the information age.
If it's not on the ground then it's being burned. Compression test it. You can rent them from an autoparts store.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Google it. This is the information age.
If it's not on the ground then it's being burned. Compression test it. You can rent them from an autoparts store.
Ok, i'll look it up, thanks for the help!
Old 07-08-2014, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

SO lol i went to check the exhaust again, obviously by myself I couldn't see it while reving but here is a video my mom took for me, liquid and some nice smoke is coming out lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtuD...ature=youtu.be
Old 07-08-2014, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

After watching that video a few times, I'm kinda thinking that was alll liquid coming out?? I can't tell what do ya'll think? Just the way it sprayed seemed like liquid to me.

Any input helps!
Old 07-08-2014, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Pretty sure that is a headgasket leak... You can take off your radiator cap, make sure the radiator is full of fluid, turn the car on, and give it gas. If the fluid bubbles and spews out, then compressed air is getting from the engine into the radiator, also indicating a headgasket.

Compression test would be (free) and easy to do if you go to AutoZone and rent the tester. I think they also rent out block testers for free. If you do a compression test, write down all the results dry and wet (wet meaning you pour about a capful of oil into the spark plug holes, one-at-a-time before testing each cylinder).
Old 07-08-2014, 10:19 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Smell it. Don't just stick your nose down there - hold your hand over it with the car running, then sniff your hand. What does it smell like? If it smells sweet, you have coolant in your exhaust. If it doesn't smell sweet, it's condensation.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:27 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that is nowhere near enough smoke to kill a gallon + of coolant in 50 miles. ive had cars with verrrrryyyyyy bad blown head gaskets, they smoke out the neighborhood. OP- have you checked your water pump? could be leaking at the weep hole while running.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:31 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

also, if the whining is quieted by the addition of coolant, it is def. the water pump. the bearings are likely smoked, the coolant lubricates the pump.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If the coolant is leaking through into the cylinder but not into the oil then you won't see the milkshake phenomenon.

An easy test you can perform is to buy or borrow a laser thermometer. Shoot the laser onto each of the exhaust manifold runners and check the temp of each. I did this on a car once and it instantly told me a cylinder was running colder than the rest which means...you guessed it...water in the cylinder cooling it down....which therefore means bad head gasket.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Compression test, how to do it, and explained. Ten minute video, but if you're looking for how and why, it's a good watch. http://youtu.be/X_tbksFYhl4
Old 07-09-2014, 01:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by eghatch9295
also, if the whining is quieted by the addition of coolant, it is def. the water pump. the bearings are likely smoked, the coolant lubricates the pump.
The whining is completely silenced by adding coolant. I'll check the water pump i'm also gonna do a block test..

Car still drives fine honestly I haven't noticed any loss in power or any extremely horrible sounds or backfires or anything. Just that exhaust leak the 2 whining sounds it makes when it runs out of coolant and the coolant disapearing. Thats the only problems I'm having, if my head gasket was messed up wouldn't it affect the performance?

It still drives great and I know it hasn't lost power, I had to drive it today, took it nice and slow 5th gear at 30mph lol

Thanks for everyones help!
Old 07-09-2014, 01:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotARacist
Smell it. Don't just stick your nose down there - hold your hand over it with the car running, then sniff your hand. What does it smell like? If it smells sweet, you have coolant in your exhaust. If it doesn't smell sweet, it's condensation.

Just checked the smell of it I held my hand up to it, it does not smell sweet at all. Smells like straight burnt gas. I don't see how all that was condensation though it was like 100 degrees out when I recorded that video.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I second on the waterpump. That is alot of coolant to be lost in an hour drive. At least take your top part of your timing cover off to get a visual of your belt. Try to inspect this area before you just top off your radiator and drive where you have to go. Throttle up your engine by hand from the engine bay and see if you have slinging coolant/water coming up from the timing belt rotation. Look at your timing belt and inner side of your cover for water before you fire it up.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, so I was gonna do the block test. Napa doesn't have the tester in stock so I have to wait for that.

I'm not gonna go through pulling off my valve cover and everything to get to the timing belt right now..

I ran the car for a little while with the radiator cap off to see if any bubbles came out, nothing came out it just started to raise up and eventually spilled over.

Looks like my overflow container may be leaking a bit, my radiator is pushing all the fluids out and overfilling the overflow then I guess it goes somewhere else once that fills up...

There isn't any fluids around the belts that I can see.

My next step for now will be checking all the coolant hoses and seeing if there is any blockage or anything like that..

Quick Reply: Engine Noises and Bad Coolant Leak