Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Engine dies when warm need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 07:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine dies when warm need help!!!

I know its kind of a vague description but I really need any help. I know it can be many things but any help would help right now. I have a 97 Honda civic with 177xxx miles on it. I was running good and just gave it a minor tune up with spark plugs, wires, oil change, filter. It was running good with the exception of the idle dropping about 500rpm once its warm. Once I accelerate it runs fine and cant feel it. I thought it was a vacuum leak in the connection between the throttle body and air intake pipe, so I changed it out to a new one and it still does it. Im going to check for another leak but a day before i changed it out my engine would kinda bog in the mid range rpm while moving. I noticed when I was on the high way, I was going about 60-65 and all of a sudden i started going slower I was still giving it the same amount of gas but I was dropping speed and my rpms slowly started going down. I accelerated more and got it above 3500rpm and it kicked in and started running, but it would only accelerate at higher rpm and it would not just keep its speed. I need help because I dont know whats going on. Then engine doesnt have anything special except an after marked air intake thats it. any help is appreciated.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine dies when warm need help!!! (freeagent314)

almost sounds like a clogged cat maybe... just strange that it doesn't feel like it cold. but anyway its worth a check
Old 10-03-2008, 08:11 AM

thanks for your help i will check the cat and the ignition coil but how or where will i be able to check the codes for the ecu?
Old 10-04-2008, 09:51 AM

I went to go and check for ecu codes but nothing came up. the guy pluged in the the hand help computer and it did not even read it. Nothing came up it was like it was not pluged in to anything. Does anyone know if there would be a fuse that takes care of that? any help or input would help.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:36 AM

I have a 97 so the troublecodes dont help thanks though. and its oem i will check the coolant level and make sure everything is ok. I also noticed that the jumper plug near the ecu was cut. when i jumped them they lit up my srs light and my check engine light was to both stayed on and did not go off i thought it would have blinked and gave me a code but it didnt i found the actual plug and rewired it but dont know if it connects to anywhere. I tried jumping it again but same thing. The ecu wont put out codes when i take it to auto zone and then i jumped it and still nothing. why would this be going on?
Old 10-04-2008, 12:51 PM

Default Re: (freeagent314)

mine has the same symptom and I have a stored code 7 it is in a 92 eg hatch. I am just not sure how to remove the throttle position sensor.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:02 AM

Thanks for your help. I fixed the problem and it was a fault O2 sensor. there was a wiring harness that was shorting and causing the O2 sensor to fail but my ECU was not giving me an error. Does anyone know how to make the check engine light to come on so i can check if there is something going on with the ecu.