Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Engine Build Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Build Questions

Sup... new... who cares?
Ok. So like most folks I am stuck with this D block in my car. I currently have just a few more parts before I complete my turbo set up, but I decided to get a B series. My questions are...
What would be the difference between a GSR and an ITR motor after doing internal mods? If you're going to change out most of the internals and do pnp and such shouldn't the power output be the same? Im no expert or dont act like I know something, but to me... it looks like it would right? After a good tune aswell on S300.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:09 AM

Default Re: Engine Build Questions

search.

don't mean to be rude or anything.. but there are literally TONS of threads out there with gsr/itr comparisons.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:02 PM

No worries on being rude... I really dont mind. Nah man... I have been searching. I've just come across some BS answers. Im just curious if you're going to do the same stuff to both motors if the outcome would be the same. Everyone and their Mom says TypeR then I would see a stupid B20 build respond. Im just making sure Im going to spend my money wisely. If you could... would you hook me up with a link that has a good DD build? Thanks
Old 04-04-2009, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you're thinking about buying an ITR or GSR motor...save your money and LS/VTEC. More power, more reliable if you ask me.

However if you must get an ITR or GSR..as far as I know the GSR shares quite a bit of parts with the ITR motor. I think I saw somewhere that the exhaust cam is the same as well as some other things.

I will say, W00T For ITR for having partial factory sleeving :D

btw..PM me what D turbo parts you got..
Old 04-04-2009, 04:23 PM
New User

Thought about the CTR motor?
Old 04-04-2009, 04:28 PM
New User

just go for a h22 you will love it
Old 04-04-2009, 04:34 PM
New User

I'm building a B16A right now...
Old 04-04-2009, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What internal mods are you talking about? The GSR and ITR differ mostly in that the ITR has higher compression pistons, the B16 head with a mild PNP, stiffer valve springs, I think slightly larger valves and at least one of the cams is slightly better, but not even as high of lift or duration as any aftermarket ones. The ITR crank was balanced a bit better to allow a 200rpm higher redline, the engine has a factory header instead of exhaust manifold. I want to say the throttle body is slightly larger. Obviously it has a different intake manifold made more for top end power...
Old 04-05-2009, 11:31 PM

Whoa... I leave for a couple of days and I get a bunch of answers. Thanks to all. I'll answer some questions asked...
YES I was thinking about the B16B just because it comes with the LSD and it has the same casting as the B18C and the plus is the LSD tranny. I said that twice... must be that important to me.
I also have a JDM B16 bottom end that I got for free from a friend, but Im tryin to get a legit swap being that I live in CA and it sucks here. I actually havent taken a look at it and I dont know what year it was made.
NO I dont want LS/VTEC although I was thinking about it for a while. Tryin to be legit.
As for internals... just mild pnp and everything swap'd out... CAMS/VALVES/SPRINGS... ETC... PISTONS and such. Just a total rebuild I would say. I mean if I'm going to get it used I might aswell change it out. Woo... that was a lot to talk about...
As for the turbo set up and the b16 bottom end... my girl is plannin to get an EG... SO... she gets which ever set up she wants. Silly girl... wants to be fast like the boys...
Old 04-05-2009, 11:33 PM

I must also say... this site has been very helpful.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:16 AM
New User

What about this set-up: B16A block, Golden Eagle Block Guard, Civic Type R Pistons,ARP rod bolts, B16A Head with Ferrea S/S GSR valves, Skunk2 valve springs and retainers, and Skunk2 Stage 1 Cams. Wondering if the Pistons will work well in this set-up, and what head gasket to use.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:36 PM

The pistons should work. IDK though. Sounds like a fun build. To be honest... I've been lookin up the TODA head package. Sounds like sex to me man, but not so DD. Im thinking of buying two heads. One for DD and one just to try the whole TODA thing.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:12 PM

this is what you want.

an ls crank & rods=125 bucks

a gsr bare block=250 bucks

82mm rs itr pistons=250 bucks

acl bearings and arp head studs=200 bucks

a rebuild gasket & seal kit=300 bucks

an itr-ctr head =800 bucks

machining and assembly of all above=750 bucks

soo for 2675 bucks you can have a 1.9 lt itr motor that has high compression, new pistons,seals,gaskets and machining so basically a fresh rebuild and by using all oem stuff for reliability,not to mention it will easily be good for around an extra 15 hp over a stock itr due to dissplacement and compression increase

sorry you might want a t-belt,w-pump,oil pump too but I didnt add this to the price since anyone with some knowledge would do that to any swap anyway it doesnt matter if its jdm,usdm,high or low mileage soo thats why I didnt add it to the price list
Old 04-08-2009, 08:21 PM

Dont I need a gurdle for the ls crank since it cant rev high? I actually dont know what the hell that is really. I dont even know what it looks like and what it does. I was just thinking about what I read for a good LS/VTEC swap. Yeah all the essential new stuff like the pumps and belts I know I need to replace. My big question is that "WOULD IT PASS SMOG?" yeah yeah I know that it might not cuz its built, but im tryin to pass smog so no worries on my end later on. Im definately very interested in building that now.