Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

engien swap / is it a good deal ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engien swap / is it a good deal ?

so im located down in houston and my car's engine went out during the hurricane evacuation crap so now im getting a swap, im not too good with the engine i can do little things but i dont trust myself to do the entire swap just yet im only 17. my dad talked to a shop called cornerstone automotive and he said he will swap the engine and transmission for 3000 (including labor) . im going to go talk to him this week and the engine he gets is from a junkyard but then he rebuilds it and installs. should i tell him no less than a bseries engine for that much money ? or what , i had a D15B8 the reason it blew was a compression issue and it overheated then there was rust in the cylinders when i took it off and the head had a .125 warpage, crazy right. but i think that for 3000 i should be able to get a B16 from him becase Hmotorsonline has a complete swap for 2250 and 750 is more that enough for labor i think. let me know what you all think. thanks.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:51 AM

Default Re: engien swap / is it a good deal ? (vandersmissenc)

If you do it yourself you could have a b18c for that price, its really not very difficult once you have everything you need. But dont pay some mechanic 3000$ to put another d-series in your car.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I got my d16 swapped with the cost of the motor for 800$, now its a turbo d16
Old 10-30-2005, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (VTcivicHB)

For 3 grand and some change just make it a B series.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:35 AM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: engien swap / is it a good deal ? (carjacker006)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by carjacker006 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you do it yourself you could have a b18c for that price, its really not very difficult once you have everything you need. But dont pay some mechanic 3000$ to put another d-series in your car. </TD></TR></TABLE> Yeah, but **** happens that people cant count on. He may expletive up the wiring, and not know what to do. But 3,000 installed is a joke unless its a B series. Around here there is a shop that charged appx. $450 to rip out the old D and put in a new D. Now thats a performance shop so they know more about the things needed to make it go smoothly. Not even sure what the engine itself would be. If you go with a D go with either a rebuilt D16Y8, or a D16Z6. Anyone know prices on these?
Old 10-30-2005, 10:57 AM

Default Re: engien swap / is it a good deal ? (turner7205)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turner7205 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Yeah, but **** happens that people cant count on. He may expletive up the wiring, and not know what to do. But 3,000 installed is a joke unless its a B series. Around here there is a shop that charged appx. $450 to rip out the old D and put in a new D. Now thats a performance shop so they know more about the things needed to make it go smoothly. Not even sure what the engine itself would be. If you go with a D go with either a rebuilt D16Y8, or a D16Z6. Anyone know prices on these?</TD></TR></TABLE>Very true but if you dont ever try something you will never learn how to do it. Even though if he attempted to swap the motor in he might end up spending a week doing it when a shop could do it in an afternoon, the feeling of accomplishing it yourself is much greater than the sacrifice of a few extra days and headaches of work (Make your car something you built not something built for you). Plus you get a lot of know how out of doing it. I swapped my first motor in right after my 18 birthday, the only help i had was a Haynes car manual, i really didnt have too much trouble but it did take me three days cause i didnt have all the mounts. Price for d-series prolly around $500 w/ trans.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: engien swap / is it a good deal ? (turner7205)

dang...450 to take a D out and put a D in....good deal

i was charging 500 to this kid who wanted me to take out his D16 out of his CRX mind you...change the spindles....so he could use the right axles....and put a LS or B series in his car..turns out he says i was ripping him off and i never did it...oh well...

to this post....3,000...it better be a B series
Old 10-30-2005, 12:36 PM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: engien swap / is it a good deal ? (carjacker006)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by carjacker006 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Very true but if you dont ever try something you will never learn how to do it. Even though if he attempted to swap the motor in he might end up spending a week doing it when a shop could do it in an afternoon, the feeling of accomplishing it yourself is much greater than the sacrifice of a few extra days and headaches of work (Make your car something you built not something built for you). Plus you get a lot of know how out of doing it. I swapped my first motor in right after my 18 birthday, the only help i had was a Haynes car manual, i really didnt have too much trouble but it did take me three days cause i didnt have all the mounts. Price for d-series prolly around $500 w/ trans.</TD></TR></TABLE> Isnt some wiring you have to do though? Taking a motor out and putting it back in isnt the hard part. Im not saying its a walk in the park, but the catcher is the wiring. Trust I love to work on my car, that feeling you get when you can now go spend $100 on something else because you changed your radiator and brakes, fuel filter is PRICELESS. But some people just do not like to do certain things. I hate wiring, you short something out and you dont know what your doing
Old 10-30-2005, 12:55 PM
* B A N N E D *

no it is not a good deal

there is no reason to get a used usdm honda engine and rebuild it when you can get a cheap JDM engine with low mileage.

ask the guy what he'd charge to put in an engine you supplied, say a b16 from HMO or something.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EGmikeH22)

ok thanks for all of your input im going to ask about the cost if i supply the engine and all for the complete swap and if he wont do that i will see if he will order that and if not i will find a different shop i dont need to get ripped off
Old 10-31-2005, 07:18 AM

Way too much.