Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

emissions test failed, 3 codes

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default emissions test failed, 3 codes

i went today to get my emissions tested to register a 2000 civic si i just bought and it said i had the error codes P0122, P0113, and P1337. he said the first two he thought were loose wiring and i could probably fix and he said the third was a honda specific problem and he wasnt able to look it up. any idea what those problems are and how i can fix them? i dont know to much about mechanics but if i could fix them myself and save some money that would help
P.S. on the test is said my car model year was 1999, but on the title it says 2000....?
thanks any help would be appreciated
Old 09-18-2010, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: emissions test failed, 3 codes

1st one is the tps sensor, it may need adjusted if its been replaced and not riveted on like the factory one comes,

2nd one is the IAT, its a sensor in your intake tube. just take a look and see if the wiring is ok..

3rd one is the crankshaft sensor...its behind your timing belt cover. sounds like your not too mechanically knowledgeable. youd be better off taking it in thats gonna be an expensive shop visit tho
Old 09-18-2010, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hatchet_honda
1st one is the tps sensor, it may need adjusted if its been replaced and not riveted on like the factory one comes,

2nd one is the IAT, its a sensor in your intake tube. just take a look and see if the wiring is ok..

3rd one is the crankshaft sensor...its behind your timing belt cover. sounds like your not too mechanically knowledgeable. youd be better off taking it in thats gonna be an expensive shop visit tho
where would the first two be located at? and how much are we talking on the third one? :/ can any honda mechanic fix it? and i have an aftermarket ecu installed as well as headers and an intake, will any of those have caused the problem? thanks again
Old 09-18-2010, 04:07 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

tps is on the Throttle body, easy enough to see. The IAT is the plug plugged into the intake pipe, also easy enough to see. The crankshaft one might not be so easy.

The first two could be just easy wire problems or just need replaced. Third one is a whole different animal.

You will be slapped if you take this to a shop. Also, check the VIN and make sure the year is what the guy said.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well by honda mechanic you mean dealership..then i would sure hope so. but thats alot of labor to get to that crankshaft sensor, thats easily a 400 dollar repair. i would take the car back to whom you bought it from as ask them for help. what ecu do you have? by aftermarket do you mean its something such as hondata? if the guy installed an intake tube the wasnt specific to your si it may not have the grommet in the tube for the iat sensor..it may be unhooked
Old 09-19-2010, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SpecialBrownie
tps is on the Throttle body, easy enough to see. The IAT is the plug plugged into the intake pipe, also easy enough to see. The crankshaft one might not be so easy.

The first two could be just easy wire problems or just need replaced. Third one is a whole different animal.

You will be slapped if you take this to a shop. Also, check the VIN and make sure the year is what the guy said.
alright ill look in to the first two tongiht or tomorrow and report back the vin matches i already checked it.
and im not sure about the ecu, i just know he replaced it, although he gave me the original one with the car. i bought it from a private party though i cant really take it back to him
Old 09-19-2010, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oh and sorry just a side question, when i turn on my engine i idle at around 2000 rpms for a few minutes, and if i dont let me engine sit for a little bit when i start accelerating i lose all power for a few seconds and my rpms almost drop to 0 then the gas kicks in. will this eb fixed by one of these three sensors?
Old 09-19-2010, 12:20 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

TPS and IAT should solve that
Old 09-19-2010, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rjddjcsrj
alright ill look in to the first two tongiht or tomorrow and report back the vin matches i already checked it.
and im not sure about the ecu, i just know he replaced it, although he gave me the original one with the car. i bought it from a private party though i cant really take it back to him
well you could take it to him and have him explain what these parts are. make you learn a lil about the car you drive. ask specifically what he did to the ecu, perhaps this is why you are getting error codes to begin with. and just curious what made you want this civic si? and not sayy a hyundai sonata? lol just wondering since it doesnt seem like your much of a honda guy.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

where would the first two be located at? and how much are we talking on the third one? :/ can any honda mechanic fix it? and i have an aftermarket ecu installed as well as headers and an intake, will any of those have caused the problem? thanks again
well that would be why the test says you have a 99 when you really have a 2000. the obdII ecu stores the vin of the vehicle, so you need to have it reprogrammed by honda, or just replace it with the proper one for your car. if your in cali, you will not pass visual if you don't have the proper ecu for YOUR car.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

o yes you can if the car does not legally pass inspection. under federal law the private party cannot sell a vehicle if it will not pass inspection within 60 days of the sale unless writen in the bill of sale, and even then, there are some stipulations to how you can get around that, such as if your car had a missing catalytic converter, because then he would have sold you a non road legal car and sold it as a road legal car.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 92lxsleeper
well that would be why the test says you have a 99 when you really have a 2000. the obdII ecu stores the vin of the vehicle, so you need to have it reprogrammed by honda, or just replace it with the proper one for your car. if your in cali, you will not pass visual if you don't have the proper ecu for YOUR car.
so if i were to replace it with the proper ecu and then take it would it pass emissions? or wopuld it still have some of the problems?