Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

em1 sudden tranny problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default em1 sudden tranny problem

When I'm was coming to a stop my car felt like it wanted to stall then it did. I turn the car back on thinkin it was my timing belt. then i turned it back on and the engine ran 100%. So I pop the hood and I see my tranny gushin oil from the very bottom of the case straight under the axle. Reverse is good but any other gear is like it just hops almost like the tranny refuses to let the car go foward. I don't beat on my car atall. Any ideas.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: em1 sudden tranny problem

holy hell not even 1 response
Old 05-10-2009, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Where is fluid leaking from the transmission? A hole in the bottom of the transmission or from a seal where an axle inserts into the differential?
Old 05-10-2009, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

honestly i havent got underneath the car yet (def will manana) but it was near the axle but it wasnt coming from the axle at all. i just cant understand how or why it happend. i dont "race" at all in this car. cant even remember the last time i hit vtec. reverse is perfect. but when i put the car in 1st it just squeaks loud and produces wierd uncoomon noise so i dont force it.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

up
Old 05-11-2009, 05:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The course of action should be to locate the source of the fluid leak, to fix it (e.g., replace axle seal in differential), to refill the transmission with fluid, and then to test whether the shift problem has gone away.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
The course of action should be to locate the source of the fluid leak, to fix it (e.g., replace axle seal in differential), to refill the transmission with fluid, and then to test whether the shift problem has gone away.
cant disagree, but by describing the symptoms perhaps someone recognizes the situation and therefore can offer better insight on exactly what caused this to happen
Old 05-11-2009, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by raphael
cant disagree, but by describing the symptoms perhaps someone recognizes the situation and therefore can offer better insight on exactly what caused this to happen
Have you checked the tranny fluid level? My point is that, if the tranny does not have any fluid left in it or is very low, then you are going to have shifting problems. To sort things out, you first need to stop the leak and refill the tranny. This may or may not fix the problem. Then go from there.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you checked the tranny fluid level? My point is that, if the tranny does not have any fluid left in it or is very low, then you are going to have shifting problems. To sort things out, you first need to stop the leak and refill the tranny. This may or may not fix the problem. Then go from there.
the transmission leaked all the oil out. i understand that i have to do all these things. my question is what may have caused this to happen in a 100% stock, never opened or frequently beat on tranny?
Old 05-11-2009, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the transmission leaked all the oil out. i understand that i have to do all these things. my question is what may have caused this to happen in a 100% stock, never opened or frequently beat on tranny?
The answer to this question depends on you locating the source of the leak. If fluid is leaking from transmission where the axle inserts into the differential, then almost surely a seal has blown, possibly caused by a bad axle CV joint or a bad axle installation.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The answer to this question depends on you locating the source of the leak. If fluid is leaking from transmission where the axle inserts into the differential, then almost surely a seal has blown, possibly caused by a bad axle CV joint or a bad axle installation.
thanx for the advice ill post up what i come up with and maybe pics later today
Old 05-12-2009, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

horrible quality i know. just bare with me its a olympus fe-210

b16a2 ftl
Attached Images     
Old 05-12-2009, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you kind of see the crack along the bolt and a lil behind it also. this is where the mtf gush out from, not sure if that would cause the tranny to struggle moving foward. im hoping a simple welding and refill will fix this but you guyz lmk
Old 05-12-2009, 02:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does your camera have a macro setting? It'll be best for the close up shots.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by seadonkeyraypiss
Does your camera have a macro setting? It'll be best for the close up shots.
I agree. It's difficult to see the crack. Did you hit a big rock or something? You may need to replace the transmission.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

honeslty i dont even know if this camera has that. its several years old and it was probably cheap anyway. but about getting a new tranny, i hope not lol. it doesnt look severe to be honest it looks like it can be welded up in a matter of minutes. my concern is towing it somewhere, get it welded then find out that the tranny is no good. could a tranny act like that when right its loses oil?
Old 05-12-2009, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also if you look at the other bolt in front of it and compare it to where the cracked one is you can sort of see the outline of the crack
Old 05-12-2009, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

...but about getting a new tranny, i hope not lol. it doesnt look severe to be honest it looks like it can be welded up in a matter of minutes. my concern is towing it somewhere, get it welded then find out that the tranny is no good. could a tranny act like that when right its loses oil?
I think that the tranny will need to be removed and partially disassembled to determine whether welding is even feasible. In the end, it may be easier and cheaper just to find a replacement and install it. Best of luck.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think that the tranny will need to be removed and partially disassembled to determine whether welding is even feasible. In the end, it may be easier and cheaper just to find a replacement and install it. Best of luck.
+1. The tranny will need to be removed to see if welding can fix the crack. welding takes a little more work than you think. if welding is possible, they will need to lay a bead on the inner and outer walls of the casing to fix it properly.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i hear yll on that. but it seems no one can answer my original question of why the tranny seems to not want to cooperate with me.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:59 PM

there might be a chunk of metal floating around in there. If you end up needing a casing let me know.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:17 PM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you're going to have to open it up before anyone can diagnose it... just from here, I'm thinking it's not cooperating with you because there's a crack in it and the fluid leaked out. It's not going to want to shift properly then. If MTF is gushing out ANYWHERE, it's not going to want to move.

I'm guessing there really is a crack in the bellhousing then? I can't really see in the picture, but if it's leaking there, then that would be your first cause. Can't tell anything else without opening. Could have happened by a rock kicked up or something.

Another suggestion:
Are you 100% sure it's mtf? I don't know how possible this is, but if it's leaking from the seam where the engine and transmission meet, it could possibly be your flywheel seal. Maybe blowing motor oil into that area, which could get on the clutch and cause it to... well.. maybe I'm grasping at straws here.

If there's no internal damage, and your entire problem is just cause by the crack, I believe that you can swap a bellhousing with any other hydro B series transmission.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

100000% its not the engine thats spitting oil. no pun intended but im not a noob. its a crack on the housing itself.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

grab the pass axles and see if it moves more than say 1/8" or so...

I'm thinking the diff broke, the reason why it barely rolls forward in gear?
Maybe you lost teeth of the ring gear also?
Old 05-12-2009, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

an accurate diagnosis cant be found untill the tranny is pulled. hope everything works out!

Quick Reply: em1 sudden tranny problem