Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EM1 BOGGING DOWN AND TEMP PROBLEMS. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Icon3 EM1 BOGGING DOWN AND TEMP PROBLEMS. HELP!

I just bought a 99 Si with a stock b16a2 and have noticed a couple things about it that I think need some attention.

1. The car seems like it bogs down and picks up VERY slowly until about 3500 rpm. I've been told that b16s are notorious for having no low end power, but my buddy has the same exact engine in his integra and picks up alot better than my Si.

2. My car, when idling, warms up fine. When I drive it around town normally, it takes FOREVER to get to normal temperature BUT when it finally
gets up to regular temp and I get on it a little bit, the temperature GOES DOWN?!? and not even just a little bit it's pretty drastic.

Mabye the two issues might be related but as of now I'm stumped. Any bit of info would be helpful. Thanks
Old 02-08-2010, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: EM1 BOGGING DOWN AND TEMP PROBLEMS. HELP!

1. check timing
2. sounds like a stuck open thermostat, even slightly cracked open the system can overcool especially when the water pump is spinning faster in higher rpm's
Old 02-08-2010, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump
Old 02-08-2010, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by REDEM1FTW
Bump
bump what? are you looking for more ideas? what have you done to troubleshoot on your own? do you have any CEL? help us help you
Old 02-08-2010, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon3 Re: EM1 BOGGING DOWN AND TEMP PROBLEMS. HELP!

Sorry just tryin to see if anyone else has had a similar problem and found a solution. The weather is god aweful outside and unluckily for me, I have no garage so I haven't had a chance to get outside and check timing/thermostat at the moment. There are no CEL's but it does tend to idle high (1500/2000 rpm) if that helps any... I don't really know what else to tell y'all that might help so any questions I might be able to answer that will "help you help me" I'd be glad to answer
Old 02-08-2010, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah unfortunately "bogging" can be caused by about 1000 different things so you have to start checking things and ruling them out as you go. a vacuum leak could be the problem as well. or a sensor (tps/map) getting the wrong signal

im almost 100% sure #2 is from the thermostat.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im gonna give the timing a check as soon as the weather clears up a bit, its always good to have buddys with timing guns

and I just spoke to the previous owner and he said that the idle is probably due to the IAC valve in need of a cleaning out so thats on my list of stuff to do; hopefully it'll fix the idling.

also, what would be the best approach for the thermostat? replace it or try and "fix" the one i already have?

btw thanks for the help man
Old 02-08-2010, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im gonna give the timing a check as soon as the weather clears up a bit, its always good to have buddys with timing guns

and I just spoke to the previous owner and he said that the idle is probably due to the IAC valve in need of a cleaning out so thats on my list of stuff to do; hopefully it'll fix the idling.

also, what would be the best approach for the thermostat? replace it or try and "fix" the one i already have?

btw thanks for the help man
i was more referring to cam timing but checking the dizzy timing is a good idea too.

you cannot fix a thermostat, replace it with an oem honda t-stat for $15
Old 02-08-2010, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hopefully the weather wont be so bad tomorrow but im gonna check the timing (cam AND ignition) and give the dealership a call tomorrow and get a price on that thermostat.

ill post back as soon as i get the chance to do some troubleshooting
Old 02-10-2010, 04:37 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hopefully the weather wont be so bad tomorrow but im gonna check the timing (cam AND ignition) and give the dealership a call tomorrow and get a price on that thermostat.

ill post back as soon as i get the chance to do some troubleshooting
the thermostat is 5 bux at autozone go pick it up... then when you do that the IACV that the guy says is probally dirty, isnt , when u change the thermostat, bleed the head theres a bleeder screw on the outlet port of the head going to the radiator ..

if that dont work its a FITV clean that or change it.

lmk bout the timing. its really easy to do
Old 02-11-2010, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

purchased t-stat and gasket last night and planned on putting it on my day off today, but lo and behold i wake up to SNOW IN TEXAS. just my luck... maybe i can find a buddy to let me borrow a garage or something... its an easy fix so it shouldnt take long at all to do. ill post back if it clears up and i get the chance to get it in...
Old 02-11-2010, 09:04 AM

For what its worth, I recently had the t-stat on my si lock in the open state...and the average temp the week it happened was about 8 degrees...I was unable to warm the car up to even the bottom line on the temp gauge unless I accelerated alot, without going past 2nd gear...basically it wouldn't heat up period.
Because it wouldn't heat up it never went past the cold temp fuel ratio's and the vtec would also not engage.

Once replaced it ran great...and I was able to roast instead of freeze on the way to work
Old 02-11-2010, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

REPLACE YOUR STAT THEN SEE IF YOU STILL HAVE BOGGING ISSUE
Old 02-12-2010, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you think that the thermostat could be causing the high idle because it's not letting it get out of the "cold idle" settings on the ecu?
Old 02-12-2010, 08:01 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Do you think that the thermostat could be causing the high idle because it's not letting it get out of the "cold idle" settings on the ecu?
change the thermostat it probally has high idle cuz of low coolant or the system isnt blead
Old 02-12-2010, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by noremorseracing
change the thermostat it probally has high idle cuz of low coolant or the system isnt blead
the coolant level is fine that was one of the first things i checked but im still waiting for the 20 ft of snow piled on top of my car to melt so i can actually get something done... i cant even get out of my driveway its that bad.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:03 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

the coolant level is fine that was one of the first things i checked but im still waiting for the 20 ft of snow piled on top of my car to melt so i can actually get something done... i cant even get out of my driveway its that bad.
yea i heard that hopefully it melts soon im in the same perdicament the snow not the car trouble
Old 02-12-2010, 09:10 AM

If it is idling where you said of around 1.5k-2k then I would assume it is the low temp causing it. The system operates off of a variable resistor of sorts, so the fuel ratio is on a sliding scale as you warm up. When my car is cold it will idle around 1800 till warms up, then drop to around 700 or so.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea i heard that hopefully it melts soon im in the same perdicament the snow not the car trouble

*****UPDATE******

so the snow finally melted and I was able to get the new thermostat installed. Come to find out, THERE WASNT EVEN A THERMOSTAT INSTALLED IN THE FIRST PLACE?!? Whoever thought that saving $5 by not buying a thermostat is a MORON. anyways, the temperature is perfect now and I have a hot heater now! so I though I had everything fixed, but lo-and-behold when I crank my Si up it starts throwing a code! I took it to autozone to run the code and it says it's for p0132 (heated o2 circuit malfunction). The idle is alot better, but when I am just sitting it will fluctuate between 600-800 rpm up and down, up and down. The bogging down is still there, but do you think it might be due to the o2 sensor making the A/F ratios read funny?

Btw thanks for everyone who has helped me up to this point! Every bit is much appreciated!
Old 02-14-2010, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump
Old 02-14-2010, 09:21 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

*****UPDATE******

so the snow finally melted and I was able to get the new thermostat installed. Come to find out, THERE WASNT EVEN A THERMOSTAT INSTALLED IN THE FIRST PLACE?!? Whoever thought that saving $5 by not buying a thermostat is a MORON. anyways, the temperature is perfect now and I have a hot heater now! so I though I had everything fixed, but lo-and-behold when I crank my Si up it starts throwing a code! I took it to autozone to run the code and it says it's for p0132 (heated o2 circuit malfunction). The idle is alot better, but when I am just sitting it will fluctuate between 600-800 rpm up and down, up and down. The bogging down is still there, but do you think it might be due to the o2 sensor making the A/F ratios read funny?

Btw thanks for everyone who has helped me up to this point! Every bit is much appreciated!
as for the no thermostat alot of chevy guys do that when they race theyre cars (or when they overheat) i would check into that 02 sensor its gotta be half of the reason for the idle,

you bleed the system, it could be the fitv but if its a low flux idle i wouldnt really worry bout it honestly. unless it dies or over heats
Old 02-14-2010, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon6 Re: EM1 BOGGING DOWN AND TEMP PROBLEMS. HELP!

as for the no thermostat alot of chevy guys do that when they race theyre cars (or when they overheat) i would check into that 02 sensor its gotta be half of the reason for the idle,

you bleed the system, it could be the fitv but if its a low flux idle i wouldnt really worry bout it honestly. unless it dies or over heats
I guess the o2 sensor would explain my "less-than-ideal" gas mileage... but would that cause my car to "bog down" by making it run rich?

And does anyone know were I can get a good deal on an O2 sensor? I know how Honda-techers have insane hookups everywhere haha
Old 02-14-2010, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump
Old 02-14-2010, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how many miles on your engine? Idling low also can cause when it need valves adjustment... do you hear tapping noise when you start in morning?? you can also raise your idle from throttle body.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you are getting a code for o2 sensor then it needs to be replaced. the code probably wasnt coming on before because your car was not getting to operating temp, so it wasnt looking for o2 feedback.

a CEL for o2 is one of the codes that will put the car in "limp mode" , could explain the bogging and bad idle. toss in a new sensor and report back

Quick Reply: EM1 BOGGING DOWN AND TEMP PROBLEMS. HELP!