Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Electrical Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 10:58 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Question

I have seen where this topic has been posted a million times, but I have a different question about it to ask. First I am new to this site, and just recently bought a 1994 Civic EX, 2 door coupe. Paid 700 bucks for it, it ran good, but needed a new radiator, battery, and a little TLC. Today I replaced the radiator and battery, started the car up and it ran fine. First problem, there were a couple pops and smoke sbout 30 seconds apart from the radio (aftermarket) and the fuse blew. I disconnected the stereo and checked the wiring, wiring is good, replaced fuse. Later in the day the car was running, and I went to drive it, as soon as the rpm's went up all the lights on the dash and everything got really bright, heard a pop by the drivers kick panel from the fuse box and the car died. Turns out fuse #24 (PGM-FI, etc) blew. As soon as I put a fuse back in and turn the ignition on it blows it. The ECU backup fuse 7.5 under the hood was also blown, replaced it and its fine. I have the PGM-FI control system troubleshooting flowchart which I am going to go thru tomorrow, and also check all the ground connections first. I did disconnect both wires to the alternator thinking it messed up and was putting out too much power, but same result with the fuse blowing. I am a mechanic so I have knowledge to work on almost anything, but haven't dealt with a problem like this before, and like I said this car, or honda's in general are new to me. Haven't dealt with them before very much. Sorry this is so long but I wanted to explain everything I could and hopefully someone might have had the same problem with what seems like an extreme oversurge of power to the electrical system and might help me get started in the right direction a little quicker. Thanks in advance for your help, and I will also post the results of what I find when it's all said and done.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Electrical Question

i am no expert especially on the EG's, but does anyone know they have the engine load detector on them in the fuse box under the hood. also could have that alternator tested aswell, i believe they use an internal voltage regulator could have gone bad.

but if you are getting fuses blown as soon as you turn the car to on you are having something that is a direct short and you need to check your harness out close to find it that short.

correct me if i am wrong here guys?
Old 06-06-2009, 11:36 PM
New User

Default Re: Electrical Question

THanks for the info, and yes im sure you are right about the ELD in the main fuse box under the hood, thats where mine is. I got my hands on a digital copy of the complete big *** repair manual with wiring diagrams and troubleshooting flow charts. Good manual to have, and if any other owners out there want a copy of that, or even the haynes manual for civc's or whatever just let me know and I will be happy to give them to you