Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Ek9 Rear Sway Bar Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 05:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ek9 Rear Sway Bar Issue

Hello all,

I am having some difficulty wrapping my head around how to properly install my new sway bar. I have searched and could not find any place that mentions the same issue I am having. The sway bar I purchase came off an ek9 which is the 22mm. I understand that if I upgrade to a larger sway bar, I must also install a brace which in this case I will be using a BWR. If you take a look at the first photo the sway bar is center up nicely, the second photo is where the bushing and bracket should be. I am uncertain that I should mount it on the bent part of the sway. I do not see how this will work out. If you guys have any suggestions please feel free to comment.

Old 02-09-2018, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Ek9 Rear Sway Bar Issue

What chassis are you trying to install this on? Mock the sway bar up to your stock sway location and if it matches up correctly to your brackets, then it's the wrong brace.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:29 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Please look at how the em1 parts diagram from an oem honda site. You'll see what is needed and decide where to order your parts.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by S2k@9K
What chassis are you trying to install this on? Mock the sway bar up to your stock sway location and if it matches up correctly to your brackets, then it's the wrong brace.
This will be going onto a 99 dx hatch. The brace is correct because all the holes lined up

Originally Posted by tony_2018
Please look at how the em1 parts diagram from an oem honda site. You'll see what is needed and decide where to order your parts.
I have everything in front of me. I'm curious what people do when they install brace into their stock 00 si because I couldn't get my stock si sway bar to fit in it either
Old 02-09-2018, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is my 99' Si with the CTR bar and ASR subframe brace...IIRC the bend was right at the edge of the bushings. The only extra thing included was a spacer that looked like it went in between the subframe for mounting on non-Si civics. Otherwise, it bolted straight up as shown without issue.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

the holes for the sway bar bracket on bwr brace look to be too far out for the factory bar, compared to the asr brace

you can measure from the lca hole to the sway bar bracket hole, compare to someone with an asr bar
Old 02-09-2018, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Itr 22mm bar on BWR subframe EK chassis. Look like it fit fine to me. These are mine, getting ready to go into my 98 lx sedan.
chevk to make sure your brace is for an EK and not EG or other chassis..

Old 02-09-2018, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not sure Op has a CTR bar? Looks like it has more bends than yours or mine and are the end link holes supposed to be that small? Then again, not sure mine is either (was installed on car when I bought it) but, I had to use the ASR end link inserts like your ITR bar. Though, the bends on yours look different from mine. Mine measure 22mm as well.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I bought the bar and brackets straight from acurapartsforless.com .. so i know they are oem itr bar. I already have the inserts for the endlinks. Actually the inserts is being usec right now on the same civic, using the integra 13mm bar and si style end links.. just going to pop the inserts out of the integra 13mm bar and put them in the itr bar..

i thought the ctr bar doesnt need insert, since the holes are same size as the em1(si) bar?

as far as the bend goes, i just did a quick mock up for the photos. So the bend look different. Once i get it install then im sure it will look similar to your setup.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That makes sense on the CTR/EM1 end link hole. I can see of the bend on yours now, it just looked straighter at that angle. Maybe this is the problem with Op's photo, once the sway bar is pointed in the right direction everything will position itself correctly?
Old 02-09-2018, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not entirely. From his photo, the start of the bend stop short before the edge of the brace.
where ours, the bend start at the edge of the brace.
he can flip the bar so the end link face down like ours and see. But it just seem unlikely it will fit..
Old 02-09-2018, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think egsleeper is correct. The bracket holes are spaced out further than your BWR brace, not to mention there is an extra hole in his that yours doesn't have. I don't believe he has the correct brace.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nevermind, your bushing is covering the extra hole. I'm at a loss. Op, get some measurements off of your brace and bar and we can compare.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

alright guys, i just want to thank everyone for their comments and photos, i really appreciate it. After playing around with the bar i finally figured it out. If the sway bar is in the position like the first photo it will cause the bushing to bend, but if you rotate the sway bar to the position that it will be mounted the bushing begins to be go straight. I feel like an idiot now...i will update everyone tomorrow after the install. again I appreciate everyone's help!

Old 02-09-2018, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No problem, glad you got it figured out!
Old 02-10-2018, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by S2k@9K
No problem, glad you got it figured out!
Thanks

UPDATE

Old 02-10-2018, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks good. Did u remember to preload the suspension before torque it down to spec? Dont want to ruin the bushings prematurely.
Old 02-10-2018, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by civic402lx
Looks good. Did u remember to preload the suspension before torque it down to spec? Dont want to ruin the bushings prematurely.
yes i did
Old 02-11-2018, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I too finished mine, today.

Old 02-11-2018, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

looks nice!!!

I too finished mine, today.

Old 02-11-2018, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks. The rear feel tighter now. Doesnt want to swing out on bendy turns anymore. Much more solid then the 13mm bar..plus the bwr was $80shipped. Couldnt pass up on it. Cant afford ASR brace, too much for my skin.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks. The rear feel tighter now. Doesnt want to swing out on bendy turns anymore. Much more solid then the 13mm bar..plus the bwr was $80shipped. Couldnt pass up on it. Cant afford ASR brace, too much for my skin.
I agree with you. The rear does feels a lot nicer compared to the stock 13mm.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Update, after driving it for a couple of weeks, I started hearing a clunking noise coming from the rear passenger, which was unusual. So today I decided to take a look and noticed the sway bar had shifted to the right causing the endlink to hit the shock. As mention earlier the sway bar is on the bent section so this cause the sway bar to slide to the flat spot. As of right now, I had to remove the rear brace and ctr sway bar and put back my stock em1 13mm with the mounting brackets. No the stock em1 sway does not mount onto the rear brace because the mounting location is exactly like the ctr. I know for a fact that the ITR rear sway fits perfect because the bent part further down than the ctr. As a solution I may have to custom a bracket to hold the ctr in the correct place but I am unsure as of right now. I will keep this thread updated.

Check this out - a bout a quarter of the way down you can see exactly that the mounting location is approx 1 inch from the mounting hole that is on the brace. I believe that the brace does not account for the stock sway bar. Makes be believe that anyone who owns a 99/00 EM1 will require to modify the rear sway bar or delete when installing the brace.
Build: Spoon Sports Super Taikyu Ek9 - Speedhunters
Old 05-19-2018, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Update 19May2018

So after a week of my previous post my sway bar was shifting to the right and causing my endlink to hit my exhaust and making a racket noise. For a short term solution I went and uninstall the 22mm sway and custom the EM1 bracket to fit with the brace. I ran like this for almost of the time until this week. You may think that the stock 13mm will bolt up to the brace but no it doesnt. The mounting location is exactly how the CTR should be.

So in order to get you guys some photos, I purchased the OEM D bracket and bushing before reinstalling the CTR sway bar. This is what I ended up with after a quick spin on the back roads.

If you look closely my endlink is not perpendicular.

Sadly the D bracket for the 22mm is a little large to bolt up

So after a few weeks of research I found that I may be able to prevent the sway bar from shifting side to side. The solution is using a collar to lock both side of the sway bar. The only product that I found was "Whiteline Sway Bar Aluminum 21-22mm Lateral Lock Kits (wlKLL122)"

I installed them today and so far it is holding up good. I will keep you guys updated if these fails or not.