Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EK9 for first car

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EK9 for first car

I was thinkin of getting an Ek for my first car what do you guys think?

I want a nice clean EK with maybe a few mods(intake, exhaust, coil overs, springs, rims seats) stuff like that or an engine swap

what do you think for a first car?
Old 03-19-2007, 07:06 PM

Default Re: EK9 for first car (lilvietboy)

whatever u like the best...its all up to you
Old 03-19-2007, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm asking for advice.. like what do you think about the car and about its performance and how it would be for a first car under like 6Gs
Old 03-19-2007, 07:10 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As a 15 year-old-kid, I think you need a bone-stock civic with no modifications, no motor swaps, no performance upgrades. Start slow, you have to crawl before you can walk. You'll also get the satisfaction of doing it yourself and the pride that comes with your own work.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Eran)

Very true. My EJ8 is still too fast for me....... Anything faster and i woulda either been in jail or dead.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can find a nice Ek for just under 6grand. youll def be happy with a stock car. moddin it as you go.
I just saw a 98 ej8 for 5grand. 65,000 miles, 5speed. some older school teacher drove it. I almost bought it just cause it was so perfect.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wanted to get one a little modded so i wouldnt have too cause i wanted an evo but i think the evo would be too fast for a first car and out of my price range... so i wanted a decent car with little mods so i wouldnt have to spend extra money doing them. cause my friend hes 22 and he said hes spent over 15K on his DC5 and he woukld much rather have an evo and i feel the same way
Old 03-19-2007, 07:52 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: (lilvietboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lilvietboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I wanted to get one a little modded so i wouldnt have too cause i wanted an evo but i think the evo would be too fast for a first car and out of my price range... so i wanted a decent car with little mods so i wouldnt have to spend extra money doing them. cause my friend hes 22 and he said hes spent over 15K on his DC5 and he woukld much rather have an evo and i feel the same way</TD></TR></TABLE>

You're getting a bit big for your britches, there Jr.

Start slow, be mature about this, and act like a grown-up. You will regret buying someone's project. You will also probably wreck a car that has a good about of power.

My cousin's best friend got an EVO VIII when he was 16. I taught him to drive stick on it. He burnt out the clutch, and then when it was being towed to the dealership, the diff. caught on fire because they used stinger instead of a flatbead. He got it replaced. He slid his next one into a tree and flipped it five times.

So be smart about this. Get a stock car and modify it the way you want to. Take it slow, and learn the ropes of driving. Nothing makes me appreciate what a shitty driver I was at your age than driving with my mother now. Whenever I take her out to lunch or whatnot, she is very relaxed, confidant in my driving ability, and basically doesn't even flinch....

When I was sixteen, she would cling to the door and oh-**** handle like they were going to escape. Even when I was "driving sanely" she was still very nervous.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ifIexplode)

my first car was an ek. bone stock DAP hatch, 84k original miles, getting a good 35MPG+ hehe, learned to drive a manual tranny for the first time which was pretty cool, it's still stock cept for very minor upgrades and I can't say I don't like it, gotta love them hondas lmao
Old 03-19-2007, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i would suggest getting a bone stock EG in mint condition... or a EK.. being only 19 i can vouch for doing the work yourself is extreamly satisfying. just something as simple as installing a cold air and then going out and seeing how much different your car sounds, responds, feels. then move up. do headers, get a full exhaust... play with the suspension to get it the way you want... all of these things by doing them yourself you get a since of satisfaction.. plus by buying a stock car, your chances are alot less likely that the engine and chassis and suspension has been beat on. most of us drive our cars hard on some days and take them to there limits, doing so knowingly that we can fix them if they break.. haha. get something that you can go to the local hang out and be proud to say that the car has never been in the shop for any of the mods on it. and you did them all yourself... its a feeling of pride that is awesome!
Old 03-19-2007, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDMKid71)

My friend bought an 00 Explorer with a SOHC V6 for his first car. It wasnt fast and it was 4WD, but he like to pretend he could drift in it. Well one day he was having fun on the country side, drifting around this corner, when the Auto 4WD kicked in and shot him off a 60 ft cliff. He still drives like an idiot.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:03 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: (turnsignalandy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turnsignalandy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when the Auto 4WD kicked in and shot him off a 60 ft cliff. He still drives like an idiot.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Bum-bee-dum-dum-dumdum-bum-bee-dum-dum-dum-skwank!
Old 03-19-2007, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turnsignalandy)

and if you are indeed a spoiled expletive (not saying that you are), please don't be a stupid driver, there's already enough on the road, don't pretend like you are trying out for the fast n the furious 4, drive safe, have fun
Old 03-19-2007, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Bum-bee-dum-dum-dumdum-bum-bee-dum-dum-dum-skwank!</TD></TR></TABLE>

hahahhahhaha
Old 03-19-2007, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (punoy69)

pretty much it. I have respect for him cause he did work for the $9,000 the car cost, but everyone kept telling him to take it easy, and that the Auto 4WD would pull him into a ditch, but instead he got shot over a cliff and almost killed himelf.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i wouldnt mind a b16 engine just something with not over 80K miles i mean it would be nice for the car to have to have a new exhaust or over coils or something i mean i wont be goin like 60 in 30 MPH zones i would just be gettin used to the enviorment and stuff i would want to just become a better drive so when i get enough money for a new car i could be able to handle the power.. you know
Old 03-19-2007, 08:24 PM

if you think u can handle it then do it... just expect a realitly check if u are slackin off.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:09 PM

I would just buy a kia, End of story!
Old 03-19-2007, 10:23 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lilvietboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I wanted to get one a little modded so i wouldnt have too cause i wanted an evo but i think the evo would be too fast for a first car and out of my price range... so i wanted a decent car with little mods so i wouldnt have to spend extra money doing them. cause my friend hes 22 and he said hes spent over 15K on his DC5 and he woukld much rather have an evo and i feel the same way </TD></TR></TABLE>
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lilvietboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i wouldnt mind a b16 engine just something with not over 80K miles</TD></TR></TABLE> Make sure to thank mommy and daddy.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lilvietboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> i mean it would be nice for the car to have to have a new exhaust or over coils or something i mean i wont be goin like 60 in 30 MPH zones</TD></TR></TABLE> Right.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lilvietboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i would want to just become a better drive so when i get enough money for a new car i could be able to handle the power.. you know</TD></TR></TABLE> Drive a Mo-Ped.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:41 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nothing makes me appreciate what a shitty driver I was at your age than driving with my mother now. Whenever I take her out to lunch or whatnot, she is very relaxed, confidant in my driving ability, and basically doesn't even flinch....

When I was sixteen, she would cling to the door and oh-**** handle like they were going to escape. Even when I was "driving sanely" she was still very nervous.</TD></TR></TABLE>

lmao, Holy ****, my mom is the exact same way. She is still kinda nervous when I drive her somewhere, but nothing like she was.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:54 PM

Default Re: (sol2hatch)

i agree with everyone here. i'm only 17, close to 18, but god damn, some of the **** i did when i was 16 was just stupid. for example.......my first "car" was a 97 ford expedition that was actually my dads that i drove when he was home. one day, i took me and 2 friends out in the thing, got it up to 115mph, and almost flipped it through a corner. i still drive fast, but not much over 70mph ever. anything more than that should be reserved for highways and the track
Old 03-19-2007, 11:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Nongan)

I would say it's a very good platform to mod(I'm more of a fan of the EG though)...however because you are pretty young still, I would do a brake and suspension upgrade before motor work....

get the car to handle better first and then think about how much faster you want it to be....I did it the opposite way on my first car (EG hatch with b16a) and it seemed very quick...but the handling wasn't that great(no swaybars, and stock brakes) and in some situations scary(windy roads)....after I upgarded the brakes and got swaybars and a decent spring/shock combo the car was MUCH funner to drive

here's what I'd reccomend:
-get a stock or near stock EK

for the suspension:
-buy some sleeveovers and adjustable shocks(or real coilovers if you can afford it)
-do a swaybar upgrade (from suspension techniques or something similar)...be sure to get an ASR subframe reinforcement brace
-get some light 15" wheels and good tires

for the brakes:
-rear disc conversion(if not equipped already)
-S.S. lines
-Street compound pads(like hawk hps)
-(for bling purposes if you can afford it) get some slotted rotors(otherwise just regular blanks work fine

then to give the stock motor some more kick replace the clutch with a stage 1 from ACT or similar company(when it wears out) and at the same time get a lighter flywheel....(things like a header, and intake really don't do too much).

After all that if you decide you like the car but really want it to be faster, I would do a mild turbo than throw boltons on an sohc and it'll be quite a bit cheaper than a swap
Old 03-20-2007, 04:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (broketuner-Sol_Si)

EK's and EG's don't exist in the U.S. unless they're imported. Use the right chassis code dude
Old 03-20-2007, 05:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EM1_ChRiS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EM1_ChRiS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">EK's and EG's don't exist in the U.S. unless they're imported. Use the right chassis code dude </TD></TR></TABLE>

If you wanna get technical...

5G (1992-1995)

EG1 D15B8 USDM 1993-1995 del Sol (8-valve)
EG1 D15B7 USDM 1993-1995 del Sol S (SOHC)
EG1 D15Z1 USDM 1993-1995 del Sol VTEC-E (SOHC)
EG2 B16A3 USDM 1994-1995 del Sol VTEC (DOHC)
EG8 D15B7 USDM All 4-door DX/LX

but seriously, the whole chassis code arguement is getting as old as correcting peoples spelling on vtec. Everybody knows what they are talking about.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EK9 for first car (lilvietboy)

"high Five" if your getting an ej6 for your first... but mine was unmolested for 5 months. because i couldn't drive it.. but I just bought an cat, sleeved and springs, short shifter. Start slow how others encouraged you. learn.

Quick Reply: EK9 for first car