Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EK4 NAVIGATION FINALLY INSTALLED!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EK4 NAVIGATION FINALLY INSTALLED!

thats right! over 1 year in the making haha. i finally sat down and wired the entire system up today. spent over 10 hours wiring the pigtails from scratch!

this system was installed into my 99 civic hatch. the system came with the navigation unit, media box and tape player. the ony type of wiring harness was the short cut pigtails on every clip i thought it was going to be a nightmare but this actually wasnt as hard as i thought it was going to be. Time consuming for sure. just basicly pull the colors from the stock stereo harness and match them up to the colors on the navi, then when u get that all done start matching up colors between the tape deck and the navigation unit. not to bad.

i used over 60 feet ov 16g wire and over 90 splice connectors. the entire system is now PLUG AND PLAY to a 99-00 civic hatch. all you have to do is disconnect the aftermarket radio harness and your golden. figured this would come in handy if i ever wanted to sell the unit.

i was playing around with the setting for a good bit this thing is AMAZING! it plays cds, casset tapes, even pics up TV stations! also i have the 'brain' media box witch lets me run my ipod or playstation or dvd player or whatever i want. only drawback is i obviously cant use the GPS. infact my GPS cd is so scratched it wont even read. once in awhile it will read and bring up the maps and gps positioning but it all over in japan. its cool to look around on the maps but its pointless here. more of less a 'show' item but i wanna find a way to convert it over to use maps i might tear the unit down.

i plan on picking up a car neo so i can run my ipod off the cd changer hookup and maybe my ps2 off the media box so me and thejdm.com guys have something to do at carlisle if we get super bored hahaha.

i have no pics at the moment because i have no camera. the system was obviously built for RHD because it fits like **** in the dash. but all that will be fixed once i go RHD haha. unless i tear it back out and see what i need to do to fit it.

the only flaws i found in the system that i have is there a few missing pixels at the bottom of the screen and it gives a short black line across the bottom. and also there is a faint buzz/hiss sound when you play cd's comming from the speakers so im thinking i might have a wire mixed up or something.

reading other forums online i have yet to hear from some1 that got the cd player working on this system.. maybe there is some out there but i had no problem making the cd player work. also i read alot of people were having problems with the heater and blower boxes. when u would turn on cold it would blow hot and vice versa.. i got mine working perfect. hot blows hot, cold blows cold.

but yes the navigation is in. it works and i LOVE it. im glad i spent all day working on it. next im going to wire my column light tommorrow and hopefully by next weekend i will have all my parts to put the motor in!!! then comes the 5lug. holy crap the car is comming together this year! now im bummin it was a DD and has stone chips like crazy and yes i still gotta get that dent fixed.

(i just copied this post from over at thejdm.com so if your kinda lost in converstion im having with thejdm guys thats why)
Old 03-31-2007, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EK4 NAVIGATION FINALLY INSTALLED! (.saint)

i can't see the pics
Old 03-31-2007, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EK4 NAVIGATION FINALLY INSTALLED! (gato5254)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gato5254 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i can't see the pics</TD></TR></TABLE>

there is none. i dont have a working camera at the moment haha. i wanna try and put up a few vids of it in action later on once i get a camera.
Old 03-31-2007, 03:56 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

NVMD reading &gt; me

I skipped a line...
Old 03-31-2007, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .saint &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

there is none. i dont have a working camera at the moment haha. i wanna try and put up a few vids of it in action later on once i get a camera.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I want to see vids of other stuff in action not a navigation system
Old 03-31-2007, 11:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EK4 NAVIGATION FINALLY INSTALLED! (gato5254)

well im sure it just turns on and plays cd's...but does the navi work? i mean for the usa..im sure it'd work in japan. thats the real question
Old 04-01-2007, 12:05 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Default Re: EK4 NAVIGATION FINALLY INSTALLED! (marshun)

I have dreams of one day retrofitting a TL navi into a civic. I don't think it's all that outrageous.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EK4 NAVIGATION FINALLY INSTALLED! (ek forever guy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have dreams of one day retrofitting a TL navi into a civic. I don't think it's all that outrageous.</TD></TR></TABLE>

im pretty sure i saw it done on some forum. looked okay, i cant remember though. i also read about how someone got the jdm navi to program usa maps into...damnit if i could only find the link, i could have sworn i saved it.

get some pics up, i wanna see this!!
Old 04-01-2007, 07:24 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Default Re: EK4 NAVIGATION FINALLY INSTALLED! (Pr0ject93hb)

I'm positive they had to get us Cd's to do it, hard to come by because all the new systems run on Dvd's. I think very few acuras in the late 90's early millenium came with Cd's for maps.

SOme formatting would have to be done, but I bet a lot of it was still in japanese. Which to me wouldn't be a big deal,

Bokuo-wa Nihongo wa wakarimasu-y0.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i was going to pull the system apart and see what kinda retrofitting i can do.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:25 AM

I gave my ek nav system away cause i was so stress out. Couldn't get it to work they need to come out with a conversion harness or something.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (twinj)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by twinj &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I gave my ek nav system away cause i was so stress out. Couldn't get it to work they need to come out with a conversion harness or something.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i felt the same way with mine it was sitting in my bedroom. then i stumbled across this carbon fiber rare version of it and picked that up. since im a sucker for rare EK parts i didnt want to just leave it sitting. honestly it wasnt that hard just time consuming like i said. + u need the complete system to make the whole unit work. if you dont have the tape player the unit is basicly useless. the tape player part is the part that runs all the speakers and such. its also where the media box plugs into. my entire system is now a plug and play unit its pretty slick. if i could find the connectors that would work with the unit i would deff make a conversion harness for the 99-00 and sell it haha.

time and patience is the key im glad i got bored yesterday and figured this out.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone know how to set the clock? hahaha.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

pics please???
Old 04-03-2007, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EK4 NAVIGATION FINALLY INSTALLED! (NAturalEk9)

so the maps n **** dont work huh? just the tape player and cd player and a clock?
Old 04-04-2007, 12:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the maps work but it only brings up japan maps. im going to be tearing it apart and seeing what i can do about bringing up the US maps.

tape player, cd player, tv tuner, and the vtr works. the vtr is like an a/v hookup on the media box. right now i have my ipod hooked to it so i can play my ipod over the radio but u can hook up a dvd, playstation, xbox or any other type of a/v to it.

yes the clock works but im still trying to figure out how to program the dang thing haha it still says 12. i know on the US civic si cd player u gotta hold the clock button for a few seconds till it flashes. so im gonna try holding some buttons to see if i can set this navigation one.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (.saint)

yeah i mean US maps of course.

good luck gettin that part
Old 04-05-2007, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no pics, no care

lol
Old 04-05-2007, 09:24 AM

Default Re: (marshun)

So how much did u end up buying the entire unit for with tape deck? I ran across a couple for 5bills but they didn't have the tape deck..and also..is it the same tape deck that goes in the lower den like the 96-98 civics? Or is it a seperate jdm deck?
Old 04-05-2007, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SIRIUS EJ8)

i got my complete system for 700 a few years ago, its been sitting for awhile. i over paid on the unit by far but now after having it working im gonna get my 700 worth out of it. i also picked up a super rare carbon fiber unit the other week and thats the one i have in my car now. so im trying to sell my older black one.
not sure if its the same deck as usdm or not.

im going to use my gf's camera and snap some pics this weekend and shoot a small clip. lastnight we were at the taco bell drive through and i was pissing around with it. where the taco bell is in town it has good signal to pick up a few tv stations. so my gf was watching 'next top model' on the ride home. i was surprised how clear the picture and all of that is.

i love this system.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

UPDATE!!

alright its not the best BUT u can check it out.. i found my old 2.8MP sony cam so the quality is GARBAGE but here ya go 2 videos and 3 pic of the uber rare carbon ek navigation!

the 1st video i do some commentary the 2nd one i dont say anything i just show off some things.
VIDEOS:

Old 04-28-2007, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That thing is sooo sick man, good job.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome!
Old 04-28-2007, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now you can travel to the darkest depths of the earth and not get lost .

BTW: 7 minute video is too long for a navigation system, I had to close it after 2 or so.. .
Old 04-28-2007, 03:41 PM

Where did you get the CF trim for your Gauges?

Quick Reply: EK4 NAVIGATION FINALLY INSTALLED!