Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EK w/ jdm ITR tranny passenger side axle keeps poping out...

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EK w/ jdm ITR tranny passenger side axle keeps poping out...

EDIT :: I think I might have fixed it now

First, there was this random spring/bungie circle that was in there and was not letting the hub go all the way in when you gang it.

Also, the C-clamp was too small and would not hold it in right. I took the c-clamp off and expanded it a bit to make it bigger. Looks like it's in there nice and tight now.

Thanks everybody

__________________________________________________ ________________

This is starting to get annoying now. This makes the second time this has happened.

The first time it did it, it was during an auto-x after I did a spinout trying to push too hard around a turn

After that, I noticed the fluid was like not there any more, figured out the axle slid out a bit and just banged it back in and filled the tranny fluid back up...

Then today, two weeks later, I go outside and oil everywhere, look under the hood... same problem. I did visit redline a bit last night after a valve adjustment but nothing serious. Anyway, I'm not sure what's the problem. Is it suspension? Engine mounts? The axle? The tranny?

Details:

Engine - ITR engine/tranny in an EK Hatch
Suspension - Full SI front brakes/sway, ksports full setup.
Mounts - OEM mounts with ES inserts for rear and tq mounts.
Axle - Napa new axle (when I got it at least about 4 months ago)

Here's how it looks now and last time:

I could just bang it in again but obviously something is off if this happened again.

Well, if you can tell me something, please help. I'm off to get more syncro mesh fluid now

Modified by kay_animation at 6:07 AM 9/25/2006

Modified by kay_animation at 6:07 AM 9/25/2006
Old 09-24-2006, 12:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: EK w/ jdm ITR tranny passenger side axle keeps poping out... (kay_animation)

Pull the axle out an make sure the C-clip is installed properly.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EK w/ jdm ITR tranny passenger side axle keeps poping out... (96-EJ6 B18C)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96-EJ6 B18C &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Pull the axle out an make sure the C-clip is installed properly. </TD></TR></TABLE>

QFT&gt; There is groove cut against the splines on the transmission end of the joint, and there should be a little circlip that goes there. That is what actually locks the axle in place.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EK w/ jdm ITR tranny passenger side axle keeps poping out... (.Red.EM2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .Red.EM2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

QFT&gt; There is groove cut against the splines on the transmission end of the joint, and there should be a little circlip that goes there. That is what actually locks the axle in place.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Got ya, I'll check that now. Thanks
Old 09-24-2006, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EK w/ jdm ITR tranny passenger side axle keeps poping out... (kay_animation)

also check the inside teeths of the axle, if it's all grinded up, it'll pop out. Right after where the C-clip is at, there's a set of little tiny teeths.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EK w/ jdm ITR tranny passenger side axle keeps poping out... (UNKNOWN_MEMBER)

i just had this happen to my friend...it was a bad c clip..
Old 09-24-2006, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EK w/ jdm ITR tranny passenger side axle keeps poping out... (esohsee)

check and see if its the right axle. cause it remanufactured cores are not always the correct ones
Old 09-25-2006, 12:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Check the axle seal between the tranny and axle. I replaced mine one time and the guy gave me the wrong one so the axle couldn't go in all the way. It looked like it was in but it kept popping on me.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EK w/ jdm ITR tranny passenger side axle keeps poping out... (bootlegcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bootlegcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Check the axle seal between the tranny and axle. I replaced mine one time and the guy gave me the wrong one so the axle couldn't go in all the way. It looked like it was in but it kept popping on me. </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by esohsee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i just had this happen to my friend...it was a bad c clip..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Pretty much all you guys were right... I'll put what I did in the first main post

Thanks so much everyone
Old 09-25-2006, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member