Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Is ek less prone to rust than the egs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Is ek less prone to rust than the egs? (B18C5-EH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I guess you missed the "less prone homie" reply then, huh? The OP asked is the EK was less prone, and if someone knew then explain WHY which "less prone homie" does the shittiest job of "explaining" I've ever seen.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow you guys are morons. Jono's "less prone homie" was not meant to be an explanation. He was correcting that SPC kid. I think you should read the entire thread before commenting any further.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Is ek less prone to rust than the egs? (andoxviii)

ando's right.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:55 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: Is ek less prone to rust than the egs? (Maireeka)

How about who gives a expletive because the answer to the topic is that there is NO ******* difference that makes an EK less or more proned to rusting when compared to the EG chassis?
Old 12-07-2007, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by andoxviii &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Wow you guys are morons. Jono's "less prone homie" was not meant to be an explanation. He was correcting that SPC kid. I think you should read the entire thread before commenting any further. </TD></TR></TABLE>Thanks man,Its amazing how these guys can make a fight out of anything. I merely try to correct the kid who doesnt know how to read and for some reason seems to offend B18c5-eh2. You think after 14000+ post he would try his best to avoid these things.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:09 PM

Default Re: Is ek less prone to rust than the egs? (Jonovision)

You win Jono...I give up.

Modified by SPCBoyles at 4:38 PM 12/7/2007
Old 12-10-2007, 04:25 AM
Former Moderator

Look in no way did Jono say:

"Hey man you misread the topic. Don't you mean how is the EK less prone?"

No he simply said "less prone homie" which still looked like he was saying the EK is less likely to rust than an EG, which is not true.

Me having 14,000 posts has little to do with anything anyways. Through those 14,000 posts I've seen far too many people come in and post bullshit, so "less prone homie" looked like every other one liner reply to a topic that asked for an explanation.

Now that I know he was simply trying to correct a reading error that changes things, but again he could have been more clear with his post.

Old 12-10-2007, 04:46 AM
* B A N N E D *

they have this **** called lizard skin, maybe you can use line-x truck bed liner throh it on a lift and paint the wheel arches.

thats what i would do with a winter beater. its like that under coating **** on the cars factory...........thankgod i live in socal. only rust we have to worry about is at the beach...
Old 12-10-2007, 06:16 AM

Ando and Jono, you are both damn idiots.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Look in no way did Jono say:

"Hey man you misread the topic. Don't you mean how is the EK less prone?"</TD></TR></TABLE>

And you in no way said,"Please give a clearer explanation to your statement." instead you had to be a ******* about it but whatever I dont even care

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by homemadeturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Jono, you're a damn idiot.</TD></TR></TABLE>and you,heres comeback for your so no one feels left out,"ummm,no you are." there. Doesnt that feel great,being acknowledged like that.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is ek less prone to rust than the egs? (SPCBoyles)

ahahah good ****
Old 12-10-2007, 09:25 AM

Eg might be mor prone to rust because they are older and the paint is wearing more in certain spots. or water has been sitting inbetween weather strippings for more years.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol, people are still replying to this? Let it die.

/thread
Old 12-10-2007, 10:07 AM
Former Moderator

Default Re: Is ek less prone to rust than the egs? (Jonovision)

How about this?

I apologize for misinterpreting your "less prone homie" reply. For one I didn't even realize it was actually YOUR topic, and two I also didn't realize you were just trying to correct that guy who said "how could the EK be more prone to rust?"

My public apology - I am sorry.

There, now with that out of the way my answer to the actual question is still there is no proof of any kind that an EK is less or more likely to rust than an EG. If you have a rust free EG, and a rust free EK and both are subjected to the same rust-causing agents they'd likely rust at the same rate.

As myself and a few others suggested there will likely be more rusted EGs simply because there are older ones. A 1992 car will be more rusty than a 2000 car given the exact same environments.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay, well if we are going to talk about the OP...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my answer to the actual question is still there is no proof of any kind that an EK is less or more likely to rust than an EG.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by andoxviii &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Anyways, about the OP, I think Honda added vents inside the trunk of the EKs to help release moisture from behind the quarter panels. Atleast that is the only explanation I can think of for those vents...someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What are everyone's thoughts on this?
Old 12-10-2007, 10:36 AM
Former Moderator

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by andoxviii &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Anyways, about the OP, I think Honda added vents inside the trunk of the EKs to help release moisture from behind the quarter panels. Atleast that is the only explanation I can think of for those vents...someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

What are everyone's thoughts on this?</TD></TR></TABLE>

If we're getting uber picky I'd say the EKs could be seen as more likely to rust in the trunk/spare tire area due to leaky tail lights (coupes) and hatches themselves.

I mean why vent something unless you KNOW it's bound to be full of water?

Old 12-10-2007, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If we're getting uber picky I'd say the EKs could be seen as more likely to rust in the trunk/spare tire area due to leaky tail lights (coupes) and hatches themselves.

I mean why vent something unless you KNOW it's bound to be full of water?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hmmm, I was unaware of the leaky lights....I have a 2000 dx hatch that hasn't experienced any of these problems yet...but it is the newest of all the cars in question so that is most likely the explanation.

I figured the vents were added for EKs because Honda knew the EGs were rusting prematurely.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:43 AM
Former Moderator

My buddy has a 2000 Civic hatch that he literally drilled a hole in the spare tire well to drain the water that leaks in - and his car has NEVER been rear ended, and he is the original owner too.

I'm going to call him right now and see where his leaks from.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My buddy has a 2000 Civic hatch that he literally drilled a hole in the spare tire well to drain the water that leaks in - and his car has NEVER been rear ended, and he is the original owner too. </TD></TR></TABLE>

F*ck. Maybe I should lift that thing up and check...I haven't really thought about it.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm going to call him right now and see where his leaks from.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah that would be great...I would like to prevent that at all costs...
Old 12-10-2007, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

As long as you check on the battery level why don't you get one of those dealies that negatively charge your body which makes the rusting process impossible...

there is some controversy as to whether or not they work... but here's a link... you decide for yourself... if you get it let us know your impressions...

http://www.counteractrust.com/...biles
Old 12-10-2007, 11:03 AM
Former Moderator

I called him and confirmed that he did in fact drill a drain hole into the base of his spare tire area.

He says that the water appears to be coming in from around the tail lights, if not the tail lights themselves. it's leaked as long as I remember him having the car, and untuil recently the tail lights themselves were dry inside, but now his driver's light itself is getting water in it so that's probably making the leaking worse.

He says there's no stadning water since the drilled hole deal though.

...actually it could be that he should even have to drill a hole to drain incoming water.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the insight on the matter. Appreciated.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ive seen eg's with rust and ive seen ek's with rust i think it all depends on how they are treated,mileage and weather conditions where you live. B18c5-eh2 was just stating that theres no difference in the way they were manufactured
Old 11-25-2008, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by newby_j
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
If you leave it in your basement and you have an unfinished basement (cement floor), don't leave it on the floor, leave it on a 2x4 or somethign so it doesn't discharge.</TD></TR></TABLE>

that is a myth

A myth? Not a chance. I work with batteries everyday at my job. And yes, an automotive battery will discharge over the winter. If you just leave the battery in the car over the winter, don't expect it to work in the spring. Because that is the worse thing you could possibly do to a battery. Even if you do it once and your battery seems fine, it is a serious blow to the battery in reality and will not only severely shorten it's lifespan but kill it the next season.

Even bringing it inside and having it just sit is bad. The only way to properly maintain a battery fully for it's life (3-4 years is the most common, if you're good about it you'll see 6-8, i've rarely seen batteries above that, though i have seen a few with 10 years) is to <b>charge it once a month with a 2 amp trickle charge</b>, to keep the charge up.

Let me put it plainly, not charging a battery up over the off-season is like sticking yourself in a closet with no food, water, sunlight, etc. all winter and then in the spring trying to mow the lawn. You will have no energy and could be dead.

The reason i stress this is any decent car battery for a Honda / Acura is around $65 - $70 depending on where you go. If you invest in an Optima, which runs for about $140+ you need to take care of it even more. I don't like people having to buy batteries every year because they're careless.

Save yourself some money and buy an automatic charger for about $40 (they turn on an off by themselves, so you never have to check the battery) which maintains the battery and can be used for cars, boats, motorcycles, ATVs, whatever. It will save you the cost of a battery for another 4 years.

I hope this helps on one aspect of maintaining your car over the winter.

Last edited by Sprinter86; 11-25-2008 at 09:02 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-25-2008, 10:48 PM

the reason hondas rust in the quarter pannels is because they have a "sound deadining" matereial inbetween the metal. anyone who has ever replaced quarter pannel rust on a honda knows what im talking about. that matereial between the metal acts like a sponge and soakes up moisture and it rusts from the inside out. the salt on the roads just speeds up the inevitable. i just replaced the quarters on my 98 accord (gotta love upstate new york) and the guy who helped me do it works for my grandfather at his body shop, thats is the explanation i got when i asked whay almost every honda rusts in the same place. its not like the guy is some 20 year old kid eather. he has worked for my grandfather for over 30 years so he knows his sh*t. anyone have any thoughts on this?
Old 11-25-2008, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by B18C5-EH2
My buddy has a 2000 Civic hatch that he literally drilled a hole in the spare tire well to drain the water that leaks in -

wouldn't that make it easier for thieves to get in?

Quick Reply: Is ek less prone to rust than the egs?