Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

ek hatch dx or eg hatch si??

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 12:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ek hatch dx or eg hatch si??

some dude wants to trade me his 1997 ek hatch dx for my 1992 civic hatchback si!! both preetty much stock my 92 si has a d16z6 vtec and his ek has a d16y7 non vtec. my car has 198XXX and his 147xxx should i go through with the trade??? need ur guys help please!!!!!!!!
Old 02-26-2009, 05:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ek hatch dx or eg hatch si??

Less mileage on his.... However, if the cars are in relatively similar shape, then it comes down to preference and plans.

Egs are easier for swaps and lighter. Some like Eks for the looks.

Pics of each would be nice......
Old 02-26-2009, 05:28 AM

eg si hatch >
Old 02-26-2009, 05:44 AM

i love egs man and it's an si just swap that hoe
Old 02-26-2009, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That is a question of preference. But if you are asking for opinions I must say the EG SI. It has an engine with vtec, comes prewired for vtec, has rear disc brakes, weighs less, sunroof.... shall I continue?
Old 02-26-2009, 06:48 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I hate these threads, but since you had to ask if it was me i'd keep the Si for the reasons listed above. 6th gen CX and DX hatches are everywhere. Si's on the other hand are pretty hard to come by.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah you have an si...the top of the line civic in its day. he has a plain-jane dx hatch. plus like others have said...disc brakes, sunroof, vtec engine. IMO the only thing you should get a d16y7 powered hatch for is fuel economy. i personally dont like my d16y8 as much as my d16z6, so i could only imagine how bad that y7 really is. lol i say keep the eg. you can find ek hatches alot of places and you have an si...which makes it even better. i wouldnt trade my cx eg hatch for a dx ek hatch...i <3 my eg. haha
Old 02-26-2009, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have both, stock for stock, I'd stick with the eg. The y7 is poop and the si has a sunroof.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:12 AM

keep the sunroof, you might miss it later on
Old 02-26-2009, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

funny you mentioned it... i traded my stock 96 dx hatch for a 93 si... and i love it, trust on this one, the eg si is better in every way:

1. sunroof
2.stronger engine
3.harder to find nowadays
4.rear disk brakes
5.lighter
6.look better

well i can go on, you get the idea. IMO i say keep your eg.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

by the way when we traded both cars went all back to stock... i took out my si-r bumpers, fogs, rims well you get the idea.

i went from this:

Name:  DSCF0867.jpg
Views: 2031
Size:  108.5 KB

to this:

Name:  DSC00968.jpg
Views: 18897
Size:  91.0 KB

Name:  DSC01097.jpg
Views: 2336
Size:  92.2 KB

Last edited by EK9r!der; 02-26-2009 at 09:52 AM.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:00 AM
Vietnamese!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EG si FTW.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It all depends on your plans. If you plan on racing, or putting in a bigger motor, stick with what you have, it will be easier to make the swap. Me personally would go for the EK because I like the looks of those body styles. But its all up to you!
Old 02-26-2009, 10:01 AM

Dont let go of ur si
Old 02-26-2009, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yup Si all the way. Im biased because they're my fav car and I own one but this is why I think theyre better:

1)Lighter
2)Faster engine
3) Easier to swap
4)OBD-1
5)Moonroof
6)Rarer and value maintains high
7) Front sway bar
8) Rear windshield wiper
9) I like the interior better but thats just me
10)Better audio than 5th gen cx,dx,vx and so most likely better audio than an EK dx
11) If you get a 94-95 you will have passenger side airbags which might be seen as weight but everycar on the road has that nowadays, I think safety is very important.
12) Cheaper parts somewhat.
13) Cheaper insurance
14) Power mirrors
15) Looks much nicer 100% oem vs 100% oem EK DX

There, keep the Si.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:11 AM

all about preference. EG SI for me any day for its rarity, lightness, loaded package, suspension, and ease of b-series engine swaps.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if ur gunna go for speed keep the EG...if u wanna go show and jus looks then go EK imo.

egs arent as classy but that Si is really rare...i say stick to the eg man...fo sho
Old 02-26-2009, 10:32 AM
Vietnamese!

Your EG looks clean BTW.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks, it looks a lil bit different know, without the hood spacer, the ls mesh and the lip.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HBKFanatic
Yup Si all the way. Im biased because they're my fav car and I own one but this is why I think theyre better:

1)Lighter
92 Si = 2,326 lbs, 97 DX = 2,253 lbs.
2)Faster engine
...and Older engine
3) Easier to swap
Not really true
4)OBD-1
This only becomes an issue when you build the motor, it is very easy to have an OBD2 swap pass emissions and run perfectly fine
5)Moonroof
...adds weight and maintence issues
6)Rarer and value maintains high
Not really an issue anymore, both cars are too old. The value of both cars will come down to condition.
7) Front sway bar
But the 92 Si still lacks a rear sway, which the EK RLCAs will accept from the factory.
8) Rear windshield wiper
A '97 DX will have this too.
9) I like the interior better but thats just me
I like the EK interior better but thats just me and everyone I know.
10)Better audio than 5th gen cx,dx,vx and so most likely better audio than an EK dx
EK has 6.5" front speakers and 6x9" in the rear, compared to 6.5" & 5.25" for the EG. How is it better?
11) If you get a 94-95 you will have passenger side airbags which might be seen as weight but every car on the road has that nowadays, I think safety is very important.
Unfortunately, the 92 Si lacks passenger side airbag, but don't worry,the 97 Civic will have these.
12) Cheaper parts somewhat.
Not an issue, both prices of EG and EK parts are VERY similar
13) Cheaper insurance
Not an issue. Both cars are old and should be similar.
14) Power mirrors
But not the more useful power windows and door locks.
15) Looks much nicer 100% oem vs 100% oem EK DX

Stock for stock, I still like my EK better than my EH3

There, seriously think about the trade.

Last edited by EK TUNER; 02-26-2009 at 11:31 AM. Reason: EDIT: pics
Old 02-26-2009, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

here are so pics of each car both are being traded w/out rims
Attached Images     
Old 02-26-2009, 01:33 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by EK TUNER
1)Lighter
92 Si = 2,326 lbs, 97 DX = 2,253 lbs.
'97 DX hatches are only 2253Lbs vs the '92 Si weighing in at 2270. 6th gens are heavier than 5th gens comparing trim level to trim level (IE CX to CX), but Si's are heavy no matter how you slice it. At an extra 17lbs for all those extra features though i'll take the Si.

3) Easier to swap
Not really true
5th gens are somewhat easier to swap for 2 reasons:
1. There is less original wiring that needs to be modified (unless you happen to have a 6th gen manual EX, or at least the engine harness from one)
2. Si T brackets are just about impossible to find used, '94 - '01 Integra T brackets on the other had are comparitively common.

4)OBD-1
This only becomes an issue when you build the motor, it is very easy to have an OBD2 swap pass emissions and run perfectly fine
OBD2A isn't bad. OBD2B is a pain in the ***, if have a B18B or B18C swap in some states (such as California) you need to use an OBD2B Integra ECU, have the immobilizer removed and then have a dummy unit installed to prevent a CEL, I wouldn't call that "very easy"

EK has 6.5" front speakers and 6x9" in the rear, compared to 6.5" & 5.25" for the EG. How is it better?

EGs are 6 1/2 all around regardless of what Crutchfield tells you. I've personally installed rear speakers in them using the factory honda brackets. 6 1/2 round speakers are also cheaper than 6x9s (usually by a sizable margine too) and arguably sound better according to audiophiles.

14) Power mirrors
But not the more useful power windows and door locks.

I disagree there. Power windows and locks are what I would call "convienent" Power mirrors however are legitemately useful. Adjusting manual mirrors is a pain unless you have a passenger to adjust the passenger's side mirror, this isn't too bad if you're the only person who drives your car, adjust it once and leave it alone, its a pain if multiple people drive it.

Again I hate these threads because they're mostly opinion based and acomplish very little.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow I thought I got owned and then I see this post and I saved my *** somewhat lo. Thanks 94EG8
This is good though, the OP can see these opinions and help him decide, its good when you point things out. The EG vs EK debate has been discussed many times, in the end, it comes to preference and aesthetics I think. Some like the looks of EK better and some like the EGs better.

OP, make a pimp decision.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hand down i would keep the si, i prefer the ek's over the eg's myself, plus as quite a few have already said, it is an si, which was top of the line for the series, why give that up for a dx? you would def miss the sunroof on it too.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
'97 DX hatches are only 2253Lbs vs the '92 Si weighing in at 2270. 6th gens are heavier than 5th gens comparing trim level to trim level (IE CX to CX), but Si's are heavy no matter how you slice it. At an extra 17lbs for all those extra features though i'll take the Si.
According to this thread:

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/faq-lets-get-weight-thing-straight-1992-1995-hatchbacks-damn-150315/

...B18C5-EH2 has the 92 SI curb weight listed as 2326. He is generally one of the more knowledgeable moderators(especially when it comes to EG's) on this board. Since the thread is asking about 92 Si vs 97 DX, even if the Si's CW was 2253, it is still HEAVIER than a 97 DX. Which is incorrectly reported by a lot of people in this thread. Since that fact was being used a benefit of the EH3.

5th gens are somewhat easier to swap for 2 reasons:
1. There is less original wiring that needs to be modified (unless you happen to have a 6th gen manual EX, or at least the engine harness from one)
2. Si T brackets are just about impossible to find used, '94 - '01 Integra T brackets on the other had are comparitively common.
Yes, I would tend agree with you IF this were the late 90's and the most popular way of doing a swap was buying a complete changeover. However, that is not the case anymore. Most swaps are done by piecing your own swap together. In that case, you just look for the proper parts for the swap you are doing. These cars are old enough that these parts are not really that hard to find anymore. For every EG owner who gets the a perfect-fitting OBD1 GSR swap, I'm sure there is another EG owner who ends up with a OBD2B EM1 swap who will still need to find the right parts to make that swap work in his car.

OBD2A isn't bad. OBD2B is a pain in the ***, if have a B18B or B18C swap in some states (such as California) you need to use an OBD2B Integra ECU, have the immobilizer removed and then have a dummy unit installed to prevent a CEL, I wouldn't call that "very easy"
Not "very easy." Yes. But not impossible either. People make it seem like leagal and clean-running OBD2 swaps are not possible.

EGs are 6 1/2 all around regardless of what Crutchfield tells you. I've personally installed rear speakers in them using the factory honda brackets. 6 1/2 round speakers are also cheaper than 6x9s (usually by a sizable margine too) and arguably sound better according to audiophiles.
I think we've had this conversation before. And i will stand by my experiences. I could not get any speakers bigger than 5.25" to fit in the rear panels of my EH3. Also, a well-designed 6x9 will not sound any worse than a 6.5 speaker. They may cost more, because you get more "cone surface area," which allows it to move more air, which will result better bass reproduction. But, speaker size aside... the location of the EK rear speakers(on the rear shelf) are alot better than the in the EH3(in the side panels). Since having rear passengers effectively blocks the output of the rear speakers.

I disagree there. Power windows and locks are what I would call "convienent" Power mirrors however are legitemately useful. Adjusting manual mirrors is a pain unless you have a passenger to adjust the passenger's side mirror, this isn't too bad if you're the only person who drives your car, adjust it once and leave it alone, its a pain if multiple people drive it.
All power functions are conviences in my book. But I don't know how you can rate power mirrors as MORE useful than power windows or door locks. Mirrors get adjusted once in a blue moon(even multiple drivers can often times use the same settings), while doors and windows get open countless times! But to me, the biggest advantage of having PW and PDL is being able to integrate them into a secuirty system. It annoyed me that I had to install door lock actuators in my EH3 for my alarm, something a top of the line Civic should have from the factory. Power mirrors are useless! I think a power rear-view mirror would get more use from me...

Again I hate these threads because they're mostly opinion based and acomplish very little.
Haha... yeah, I agree. Not too found of these type of threads either. But when there is blatant misinformation present, something must be done!

Quick Reply: ek hatch dx or eg hatch si??