Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EK hatch build

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 03:12 AM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EK hatch build

Ok,

I was first in the Honda game back in 1999, had a CRX and did a b16a swap. Car got totaled and for a couple of years went through a few more. Since then I have not had a Honda except for the past 3 years with a beat down ek hatch as a DD. Recently I purchased a 96 cx or dx hatch(I need to check the VIN to be sure), b16a swap already done and it appears to be an obd2 motor. It also has some strut/spring combo, 00 si rims, jdm knock off headlights and fog lights.

I have since swapped the headlights with my DD and plan on removing the fog lights since they have taken a bit of water inside them. I tried to get emissions done in VA but the car is missing a CAT. It goes from header straight to the exhaust. I assume this is a 4 door exhaust or something. I also failed for OBD2 the sensor not working. After some research on here I discovered I have a chipped P28 ECU with chrome(the guy who sold it to me mentioned chrome and I had no clue what it was). I have since ordered a P2T-A11 ECU. From my understanding this is from a 99-00 civic SI US model version 1. Also I ordered the OBDA to OBDB jumper from Rywire.

For this ECU to work and not throw any CEL I am to need to order a cat and a new exhaust. I am unsure on what to go with. Reading and looking around it seems I will need to hook a second o2 sensor into the exhaust. Where does this hook into? Also do I need to specify that I am running OBD2B when ordering the exhaust to make sure it has the hole for the second o2 sensor? I wanted to go with a high flow cat, any suggestions that will fit nicely?

Thanks for responses, I have searched extensively on this topic on the boards for almost a week now. Any help is appreciated as this was all brand new to me. I will post some pics when I get home from work.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: EK hatch build

I'm not sure how strict the laws are in VA for emissions. In Cali, we have specialized catalytic converters we must use. I'm personally using a catalytic converter from a 99 civic EX with my JDM B18C swap. I kept everything ob2a to pass smog and the BAR test.

It sounds like you have an OBD2 engine harness (not sure if it's A or B), going into an OBD1 conversion harness, then to an OBD1 ECU. So really, it doesn't sound like you need a jumper if you purchased the correct ECU to go with the correct engine harness.

The secondary o2 sensor will be after the catalytic converter. It might be directly after, or a few inches behind. Most of the obd2 converters out there will have a threaded bung so you can install a sensor. If you are purchasing a "universal high flow," chances are that it will not include an o2 sensor bung and a muffler shop will need to install one for you.

Check this website out. Again, i'm not sure what your laws are, or even if you cared about the laws if they exist. I tend to play by the rules...it keeps me out of trouble.

http://www.car-sound.com/
Old 11-16-2011, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by zerovandez
I'm not sure how strict the laws are in VA for emissions. In Cali, we have specialized catalytic converters we must use. I'm personally using a catalytic converter from a 99 civic EX with my JDM B18C swap. I kept everything ob2a to pass smog and the BAR test.

It sounds like you have an OBD2 engine harness (not sure if it's A or B), going into an OBD1 conversion harness, then to an OBD1 ECU. So really, it doesn't sound like you need a jumper if you purchased the correct ECU to go with the correct engine harness.

The secondary o2 sensor will be after the catalytic converter. It might be directly after, or a few inches behind. Most of the obd2 converters out there will have a threaded bung so you can install a sensor. If you are purchasing a "universal high flow," chances are that it will not include an o2 sensor bung and a muffler shop will need to install one for you.

Check this website out. Again, i'm not sure what your laws are, or even if you cared about the laws if they exist. I tend to play by the rules...it keeps me out of trouble.

http://www.car-sound.com/
In Va, to pass safety inspection yearly you must have a cat installed. To pass emissions every 2 years theymust be able to plug in and your ECU must throw no codes. I had heard a JDM ECU would not work since it would not function with the OBD2 port. I decided to go with the 00 si ECU since it would behave nicely. The ECU in the US was only available in OB2B from my research and my wiring harness is OBD2A.

As far as the cat goes you are saying the second o2 sensor is actually in the cat? so would I want a high flow cat for a 99 or a 96? My understanding was that depending on the year EK it may or may not have the Bung for the o2 sensor and I wanted to make sure I order the correct one.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

a 99-00 si ecu will throw a check engine light. (fuel tank pressure sensor)

there's nothing out there that will bolt up, you will have to get an exhaust shop to make you something.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by kyden
there's nothing out there that will bolt up, you will have to get an exhaust shop to make you something.

There's no exhaust that will bolt up? Not really sure what this means.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Is this suppose to be a build thread or a techincal question?
Old 11-16-2011, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hyperblu
Is this suppose to be a build thread or a techincal question?
Whatever the case is, he needs help.

Okay so you have an obd2a harness, an obd2a to obd2b jumper, then a obd2b ecu. Sorry just trying to narrow down everything so it makes sense in my head. In this case, it sounds about right.

The fuel pressure sensor can be bypassed with some soldering skill and a potentiometer. I had to do it on mine, and it's still installed. Read this: http://technet.ff-squad.com/code91.htm

For the exhaust. Just purchase a universal catalytic converter using the link I previously sent to you. Take it all to a muffler shop and have them take care of the rest. You may have to run your own wiring for the secondary o2 sensor.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:19 AM

Whatever the case is, he needs help.

Okay so you have an obd2a harness, an obd2a to obd2b jumper, then a obd2b ecu. Sorry just trying to narrow down everything so it makes sense in my head. In this case, it sounds about right.

The fuel pressure sensor can be bypassed with some soldering skill and a potentiometer. I had to do it on mine, and it's still installed. Read this: http://technet.ff-squad.com/code91.htm

For the exhaust. Just purchase a universal catalytic converter using the link I previously sent to you. Take it all to a muffler shop and have them take care of the rest. You may have to run your own wiring for the secondary o2 sensor.
Yeah I am asking tech questions in regards to building up my hatch, so I guess more of a tech question sorry.

Thanks for the link to fixing the FPS, I may try to just hook up an FPS anyways.

So you are saying absolutely no one sells a direct fit cat and catback for this car with a b16a in it? Is it because of the cat being built into the stock manifold? I think I am understanding if this is the case. There is an exhaust on it now that is definitly not the stock one as far as I can see. It seems to be a stock Honda exhaust maybe from a gsr or something bolted directly to the header. Perhaps I can have a shop just cut it out and add the cat into it. Thanks, and please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:35 AM

I am pretty much trying to find a cat and an exhaust the will bolt directly to the stock b16a header. I know the hatch never came with a cat after the stock header. Is it possible to run a 00 SI cat and exhaust? Would that exhaust be too long? I really just want to run direct bolt-ons without the use of welding or cutting.y
Old 11-16-2011, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by doctorake
I am pretty much trying to find a cat and an exhaust the will bolt directly to the stock b16a header. I know the hatch never came with a cat after the stock header. Is it possible to run a 00 SI cat and exhaust? Would that exhaust be too long? I really just want to run direct bolt-ons without the use of welding or cutting.y
Keep in mind that what you are doing is custom. So it will require some custom modification. Here's what you can do....

Option 1
Keep everything as is, get the universal catalytic converter, take it to a muffler shop and tell them to make it work.

Option 2
Get a catback designed for a 92-95 hatchback, get your universal catalytic converter, take it to a muffler shop and have them make it work. I had 92-95 exhaust piping from Apexi on my 97 civic hatch DX, and it fits. May have to modify the hangers for clearance but it fits.

What is common here? No matter what option, you WILL have to take it to a muffler shop to get everything fitted and in working order. You WILL need to run wire for a secondary o2 sensor. Poke around the ffsquad site for ECU pinouts. It's not hard.

Additionally, you can't just add the fuel tank pressure sensor. You have to change out the entire fuel tank with a tank coming from a car that has the sensor already there. The bypass on ffsquad is much much easier. after you've set it, tape it off where passengers can't kick it. It's simple.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:51 AM

ok, will be getting the universal to match diameter of the exhaust that is currently on there. I was reading about the FPS and apparently a new gas tank is not needed. I will probably go down the bypass route anyways. Thanks for your help.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try a 99-00 si cat and extension and civic h/b overaxel and muffler . and you could try and find a ecu from a del-sol with the b16a3 the 96-97 should be obd2a (p30) i think .
Old 11-16-2011, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by canadaek
try a 99-00 si cat and extension and civic h/b overaxel and muffler.
Can someone else verify this fits please?
Old 11-16-2011, 02:02 PM

I am just going to order the universal high flow cat for the 99 civic ex. it does say 2 inch in and out. What if my current exhaust is1.75 inch?

Last edited by doctorake; 11-16-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by doctorake
Can someone else verify this fits please?
I have no clue what this guy/girl is talking about. Sounds like a shortcut if you ask me. Do it right the first time and pay once to get it done right.

I can almost guarantee that .25 inches will not cause any performances losses in regard to the catalytic converter I.D.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have no clue what this guy/girl is talking about. Sounds like a shortcut if you ask me. Do it right the first time and pay once to get it done right.

I can almost guarantee that .25 inches will not cause any performances losses in regard to the catalytic converter I.D.
It will cause a little bit of back pressure and you may here popping from the exhaust, but won't affect performance.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you wanna buy a high-flo cat go to randomtechnology.com they sell cats that bolt up and have the secondary O2 sensor bung already welded on it. ive had mine for 8 years now with no problems
Old 11-17-2011, 03:27 AM

The current piping on the car is 2 inch and the 99 ex cat is 2 inch so no worries now. The link you sent me was way overpriced though as I found the same item for 200$ less on amazon.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^Yeah MSRP is usually higher through the manufacturer. Glad you found it cheaper though.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how is using OE parts a shortcut? it would all bolt together unlike the method you suggest he will have to cut the extension pipe and then reattach the flange (if it still even has one) . if he had fab skills i doubt he would be asking what fits . you can also buy aftermaket exhausts for a h/b with b swaps .
Old 11-17-2011, 02:57 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by hyperblu
It will cause a little bit of back pressure and you may here popping from the exhaust, but won't affect performance.
This back pressure thing is a myth. There's restriction yes.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
This back pressure thing is a myth. There's restriction yes.
Back pressure is an actual phenomena. Saying your engine "needs" back pressure is a myth. It's all about velocity in the exhaust. You want to maintain the quickest velocity to let the exhaust gases out. Too much back pressure results in reversion where it runs back into the engine. Restrictions in the exhaust will cause more backpressure as it slows down the velocity. A quarter inch wont affect it enough though. This is the reason ferrari engineers designed the exhaust with two exhaust paths after the header - at low RPM only one path is open to maintain exhaust velocity, but as RPM climbs and exhaust volume increases, the second path is opened to curb backpressure
Old 11-17-2011, 03:29 PM
The Grumpiest

That's a nice textbook explanation but it isn't a factor.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
That's a nice textbook explanation but it isn't a factor.
Never said it was a factor.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:38 PM
The Grumpiest

Just adding that tidbit. It didn't even need to be mentioned. Being factorless and all.

Quick Reply: EK hatch build