Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

ek eletrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ek eletrical problem

ok heres the deal my altenator died on the way home from my girlfreinds house one night and for about the last 2 weeks all ive had is hell with my car i bought a altenator off my freind was brand new 2months old worked in his car he took it out we put it in mine(charged battery up). put it in car runs for a lil till the battery dies again and car wont start. so i tell him your altenator you sold me dosent work and all and he says it does blah blah blah. so i go and i buy a brand spankin new battery same thing car runs great until the battery dies again then nothin. so then im real pissed im like hes bsin the altenator is a piece so i go and order a brand spankin new one comes with a sheetr sayin the specs and a test that shows they tested the altenator when it left the factory. so i put it in jump the car drive about 1/2 mile if that car dies now im really pissed. so i get home borrow my dads battery out of his car pull out my meter and get a good reading when the cars off turn the car on voltage drops. so the altenator isnt charging the battery everythings hooked up right i can not figure it out and its drivin me insane checked the grounds and connection more times then i can count everything is good i searched the forums and someone said something about a main relay or something could this be my problem any suggestions would be greatly greatly apreciated

o yea and im quite expierenced ive had 16 hondas in the past 4 years ive done d,b,h series swaps ive had almost every problem in the book this one i just cant figure out
PLEASE HELP
Old 03-22-2007, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

so the alternator is not charging...

you might have a ground somewhere.....

charge the batt...take the negative off the batt..
use a light tester (whatever you call it)
or any 12V light...with 2 wires (+) and (-)
hook one up to the battery (negative post) then the other one to the ground (body) if that thing lights up...you have a ground somewhere...start checking your cables...all the wires connected to the alternator....from the alternator to the batt..all the grounds...

your battery shouldnt die that fast...
one time my alternator belt **** on me, it snapped...
i was running my car for a good hour with lights on...radio on...no problem

check your alternator wire too...maybe its loose...

are you sure that the alternator is good...

while the engine is running...take the battery off, if the car dies then your alternator is gay...if its running...get a multimeter and see if its putting out at least 13V.... if not...then theres something wrong with your alternator

hope it helps....

Old 03-22-2007, 08:32 PM

Default Re: (ARMED)

thanks alot ill try it in the morning any other suggestions will be apreciated
Old 03-23-2007, 12:26 PM

Default Re: (ilsimsli)

fixed it
Old 03-23-2007, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ilsimsli &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">fixed it</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you wouldn't mind, could you explain how you fixed it and what was wrong? It may help others with similar symptoms. thnx
Old 04-04-2007, 07:22 PM

Default Re: (Perfectionist)

i checked the altenator wire that goes from the altenator to the fuse box buy taking it out a big pain to do by the way not hard just a pain it was a little messed up so i replaced it even though i was getting good voltage threw it i think it was shorting then i took all the grounds off cleaned them and everything under them sometimes theres paint/corosion under them put em back on tightened em pretty tight charged the battery to its max charge put it in started the car check voltage off the altenator then the wire that goes to the fuse box from the altenator across the battery and the battery fuse everything checked out perfect and its worked great since
Old 04-05-2007, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice work. Feels good, doesn't it?