Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EJ6- Transmission diagnostic help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EJ6- Transmission diagnostic help!

Hello all, like the title says, I need some help with my 1997 coupe. It's a stock 5 speed manual and I assume it's a stock clutch, I haven't replaced it in the five years I've had the car. It has ~160k miles.

On to the problems:
1. There is a bad fourth gear grind, it happens pretty much every time I drive the car, and this is shifting at 2,500-3,000, nothing crazy. And I know how to drive it, it was always smooth until maybe the last 8 months. The other gears will do a tiny "click" kind of grind once in a while as well.

2. When it's cold outside, like now, the car won't go into first and doesn't want to go into third until it's all the way warmed up. So, I basically have to go 2-grind-a-lot-4-5...

3. Sometimes, sitting at a light with the clutch all the way to the floor in first gear, the car will just stall like I all of the sudden let it out. Similarly, sometimes when I have the clutch all the way down and put it into gear it will just sort of clunk and buck a little as if I only had the clutch partially depressed.

Do I just need a new clutch and/or transmission? Thanks for the help in advance, I'm afraid if this gets much worse the car won't even be drivable and I need it!
Old 12-21-2010, 07:48 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: EJ6- Transmission diagnostic help!

Your clutch may be fine. But your synchros on your gears are what are hosed. I would source a low mileage used d-series transmission and get it replaced and while you're at it get a new clutch.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ah, the news I expected and so didn't want to hear. Maybe I'll just use this as an excuse to do a b series swap.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like the clutch isn't operating properly. could be either master/slave cylinder or the pressure plate is going bad or the disc itself is hanging up.

but the sitting at a red light and stalling definitely means your clutch's hydraulic operating system is leaking down. probably at the master cylinder since it has retained enough fluid to keep working as well as it has for so long.

either way, at 160k? for the $$ just replace it all. and yes, sounds like the synchro's have finally taken a **** on you since the clutch hasn't been functioning properly for some time now.. but search on here for someone selling a d series trans for cheap rather than spending a fortune on a rebuilt/salvaged one.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:23 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by D Griff
Ah, the news I expected and so didn't want to hear. Maybe I'll just use this as an excuse to do a b series swap.
yes it is. Lol. If my engine ever gave out I'd get a b18b for the time being.

But for now, putting my pennies away for h2b
Old 12-21-2010, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the help guys, I figured it may have had something to do with the hydraulic system. I think I'm going to try to nurse it along as long as possible if replacing everything would make sense. I agree, I think if I'm going to spend a few days working on it, and probably ~$500 on parts, may as well spend more and make it nicer. Maybe I'll start saving/looking for a B20 and GSR trans.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

def. piece together a swap. best $ per smile.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also, my pops told me that putting in oil that was a little bit heavier could help make the worn parts last a little longer? Right now I have Honda MTF in there, has anyone heard this heavier weight theory? I'm probably not going to be the lab rat here...
Old 12-21-2010, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no, will not work

other fluids of similar weight are a hot topic of debate. but thinker **** is a one way ticket to guaranteeing you turn your tranny into a paperweight.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, that's what I thought. He's used to 40 year old European cars. I've certainly heard the debates on similarly weighted fuel but I think I'm going to stick with Honda MTF.