Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EG6 Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 06:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EG6 Question

I currently have a '90 Z32TT and since winter is approaching, I will need a beater/winter car soon. I don't need anything expesive or the best. I need a FWD car that is reliable and good on gas as well. The EG6 sounds great too me and I am looking at them the most.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/...st=21

I found that and it's in my price range. I'm not going to mod this so I don't car if it's a good mod car lol. What should I be asking to owner? Such as original owner, records, reason for selling, and yea... What is the major maint. time to do? Such as we do a major maint. check every 60K miles on the Z32. I appreciate your work and time. Who else would I ask other then the Honda experties?
Old 10-15-2004, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EG6 Question (Neogenesis)

I have a 93' EG with a few mods. Im getting a winter car b/c my EG sucks to drive in the snow.
(I live in omaha Nebraska, and our winters are pretty bad compared to most)

But if you want the civic, check the oil, plugs, compression and leak down, look for signs of abuse etc. etc.
Stock Hondas are pretty cut and dry.

edit: and welcome to honda-tech
Old 10-15-2004, 06:36 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: EG6 Question (Neogenesis)

First of all welcome.

Second your link don't work for me.

The major maintenance is at about 90K miles for Honda. Thats when it's time to chance the timing belt and water pump. Other things can be done at the same time like plugs, plug wires, distributor car, rotor, coil (if needed), alternator belt, P.S. belt, AC belt, valve adjustment, air filter, oil change, etc.

oh, and here in the US we didn't get the EG6. Since I can't see anythnig in your link I asume you want a hatch. So the 92-95 hatchs were the EH2 (CX,VX, DX) and the EH3 (Si).
Old 10-15-2004, 06:38 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: EG6 Question (mwieczorek43)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mwieczorek43 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a 93' EG with a few mods. Im getting a winter car b/c my EG sucks to drive in the snow.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

My hatch wasn't bad last winter. But I'm in Michigan and it wasn't bad last winter.
Old 10-15-2004, 07:00 AM

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/...st=21

sorry about that.
I too live in Michigan, I live in Clarkston. I actually need a Civic or any good FWD car that's cheap enough for me. I spent a lot on my car already lol. Something reliable and Civic just poped in my mind. Thanks.
Old 10-15-2004, 08:06 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: (Neogenesis)

it's cool. It's always good to see a fellow Michigan person on the board. Where exactly is Clarkston?

The Civic doesn't seem to bad but you never know until you look at it first hand and actually drive it. What model is it (CX,VX,DX)? How long has that been for sale? When I was looking for a car the hatchs didn't seem to stay for sale too long. They sold pretty quick. And the ones that didn't were either way over priced or something was wrong. But you don't really know until you go look at it.

Make sure you ask for records. You're going to want to make sure oil has been changed regularly and basic things like that and also see when the timing belt and water pump were last changed.

Civics, and most cars in general, are reliable as long as they are properly taken care of.
Old 10-15-2004, 08:36 AM

It's been listed for a couple days now? I've been looking and just say it a few days ago. I have to call him up again on Sunday though, he's busy now and thru Sat. Clarkston is in Oakland County. Near Flint, Rochester, Detroit (40 min drive), Waterford, and uh...do you know where the Great Lake Crossing Mall is? I live about a 5-10 min drive from that lol.

Oh yea, is there a specific model I should be aiming for? Such as the VX or CX? I know the Si are good lol.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/neogenesis
That's my current car I'm going to garage soon Can't wait till next summer!
Old 10-15-2004, 08:42 AM
H-T Order of Merit

ok, I know where thats at. My girls family lives in Pontiac so we go there visit her little brother and sisters. We sometimes go to Great Lakes Crossing.

If the cars only been there for a few days and if it's in halfway decent condition then it won't last long.
Old 10-15-2004, 08:48 AM
H-T Order of Merit

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Neogenesis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Oh yea, is there a specific model I should be aiming for? Such as the VX or CX? I know the Si are good lol.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/neogenesis
That's my current car I'm going to garage soon Can't wait till next summer!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nice. I can see why your garaging it for the winter.

IMO, either model will do just fine. Each model has something different. All get good gas milage. Si's are nicer but they are also going to run you more. Since your only using it for winter just get a CX, VX or DX. As long as that heat works right.
Old 10-15-2004, 09:30 AM

Yes, heater must work for me lol, and I'll be using this more as a daily driver and the Z32 as a weekend car. Where in MI are you? I don't see many Hatches like those around here. Will the weight of the car make it a little tricky driving in the snow? Of course, driving responible.
Old 10-15-2004, 09:35 AM
H-T Order of Merit

I didn't have any problems and I had VX rims with all seasons for half the winter until it was stolen. The other half was with steelies and snow tires on another hatch. The snow tires will be back on the car in a few weeks.

edit:
oh, I live in the Detroit area.