Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EG VTi Cluster

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 12:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EG VTi Cluster

Ok i kust got my hands on a VTi cluster. Its on the car now. My question is how can i make it brighter?Can i add some white led's to make it more bright? Or will it kill the amber color. Cuz apparently the bulbs are white. So i want to try to replace them with brighter ones. But dont know if it will work?
Old 08-30-2009, 12:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: EG VTi Cluster

leave it alone. if you wanted brighter ones, should just modded the stock.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:08 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

That's not what he asked.
OP. In your case this would probably be a trial by error thing but if you want it brighter buy brighter bulbs.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by +honda_monkey+
leave it alone. if you wanted brighter ones, should just modded the stock.
What's your point? oi like the lighted needles. And the cluster is very dim. Bulbs seem to be old. So I tought maybe led's would do a nice trick. Has nothing to do with modding the cluster. All I would be doing is replacing the halogen with led's. Since I need to replace them anyways cuz the bulbs are all blackish. Hence the little light output.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:10 AM

ive heard led upgrades on these cluster work really well.
haven't done it to mine yet though, haven't had the time or money to look for the bulbs
def let us know if it helps and how much
Old 08-30-2009, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well then I guess its time for a trial and error. LoL. I will be ordering the bulbs this week. I will post pics of how my cluster looks. And then after with the led's.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:35 AM

are you getting amber leds? or a different color?
where you getting them from ?
Old 08-30-2009, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

LEDs will not make your cluster brighter since the light spread is too focused. Your best bet is to go to Autozone and get some amber bulbs that fit the cluster...I did that with my USDM cluster and it looks great. Brighter than the stock white/blue bulbs and brighter than the JDM amber bulbs.

fm
Old 08-30-2009, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^ word
Old 08-30-2009, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wrong. I'm getting wide angle led's. In white. Since it seems the cluster's amber color comes from the gauges itself. Not the bulbs. The bulbs are white. There for some white led's should do the trick. And this is on a jdm vti cluster. Not usdm. Superbrightleds.com I believe has some. I will probably waste about 20 bux. I'll try some amber bulbs and I'll take a pic. Since I have some laying around. I tried them on a ek and it was dissapointing.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think them wide LED's might work, I was thinkin about tryin some on mine too. Since you have the VTi cluster as well, you should try to switch the PCB on the back with a USDM one and see if that lets the illuminator adjuster work on it. I would try it on mine but im currently outta state on vacation for awhile.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by K20egcw
I think them wide LED's might work, I was thinkin about tryin some on mine too. Since you have the VTi cluster as well, you should try to switch the PCB on the back with a USDM one and see if that lets the illuminator adjuster work on it. I would try it on mine but im currently outta state on vacation for awhile.
I would gladly try it but i got rid of the ex/si cluster. I traded some guy my OEM cluster and my hacked psp(which i dont use anymore cuz of my new job) for the VTi cluster. If not i would try it.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mortificationrock
What's your point? oi like the lighted needles. And the cluster is very dim. Bulbs seem to be old. So I tought maybe led's would do a nice trick. Has nothing to do with modding the cluster. All I would be doing is replacing the halogen with led's. Since I need to replace them anyways cuz the bulbs are all blackish. Hence the little light output.
take the condoms and or blue/yellow film off the current bulbs and reuse them or buy new bulbs without the condoms

ittl produce white light instead of hazy yellow or dim blue
Old 08-30-2009, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Integra4lyfe069
take the condoms and or blue/yellow film off the current bulbs and reuse them or buy new bulbs without the condoms

ittl produce white light instead of hazy yellow or dim blue
WTF??? Are u talking about? I said the bulbs are just WHITE. Plain and simple WHITE. No condoms or anything.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:54 PM

lol. ok well if do get leds get amber ones. would look nice.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Might. Ill see how it looks with amber halogen to see if it kills the color. And i will buy the white led's
Old 08-30-2009, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well then I guess its time for a trial and error. LoL. I will be ordering the bulbs this week. I will post pics of how my cluster looks. And then after with the led's.
where are you ordering from? I want to get some LED's to replace some of my lights too. And yes you can replace it with LED's and it will be brighter.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

In to hearing how wide-angle LEDs work out...please take pics. All of the LED installations I've seen looked sketchy at best.

fm
Old 08-30-2009, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would gladly try it but i got rid of the ex/si cluster. I traded some guy my OEM cluster and my hacked psp(which i dont use anymore cuz of my new job) for the VTi cluster. If not i would try it.
Nice nice, you gotta pretty good deal on it lol. If I had access to a cluster Id send you the back piece to put on and see if it worked, it would be cool to get it to dim up and down lol. Maybe the LED's will work tho who knows
Old 08-30-2009, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by K20egcw
Nice nice, you gotta pretty good deal on it lol. If I had access to a cluster Id send you the back piece to put on and see if it worked, it would be cool to get it to dim up and down lol. Maybe the LED's will work tho who knows
Well i not really worried about the dimming control. It would be nice though. I just want ,y **** brighter. As far as where im ordering the bubls im thinking either http://www.superbrightleds.com/mini-wedge.html or http://autolumination.com/

Im leaning more towards Autolumination since they are the ones who have the 3 led wide angle bulb. What im debating is wether to get the amber led's or white. Since the gauges are the one that produce the amber color. But what if the white is so bright that it wont even look amber.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is a video of someone with a vti cluster with led's. It seems like its a ek. I could be wrong though. But im trying to find out why they look white. Maybe the ek one dont come amber on some. Im just guessing here. Im really leaning to that its a ek cluster. Hence the red needles. And the seem to not light up. Just red colored.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twrufReWKTo
Old 08-30-2009, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.superbrightleds.com/carbulb-notes.htm

Read that page you might find it surprising.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is a video of someone with a vti cluster with led's. It seems like its a ek. I could be wrong though. But im trying to find out why they look white. Maybe the ek one dont come amber on some. Im just guessing here. Im really leaning to that its a ek cluster. Hence the red needles. And the seem to not light up. Just red colored.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twrufReWKTo
its an EK EX Cluster. Our clusters are not amber. They are white. I wish I could change mine but im way too lazy to take it out of the car to **** with the bulbs. It would look sick in Amber or Blue or Red or even Teal. its in KMH though in the vid so idk what country its from.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jimster480
http://www.superbrightleds.com/carbulb-notes.htm

Read that page you might find it surprising.

Well i didnt read the whole damm page. But im guessing what your trying to say is to not use white bulbs right? But maybe amber? But why would the OEM bulbs be white? Sorry if this is not what your trying to say. Im to lazy to read that page..LoL
Old 08-30-2009, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well i didnt read the whole damm page. But im guessing what your trying to say is to not use white bulbs right? But maybe amber? But why would the OEM bulbs be white? Sorry if this is not what your trying to say. Im to lazy to read that page..LoL
no you can use w/e color you want. I wanted you to read the part about how the LED's are not brighter, and are instead dimmer for the most part.

Quick Reply: EG VTi Cluster