Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

eg sedan first car build thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eg sedan first car build thread

well last november i got a 95 eg civic sedan from a friends grandfather (1st owner) as my first car for 3k, really clean, 4 speed, ex disc brakes front/rear/sway bars, etc. december i crashed the car, had around 3k in body/paint to get it back to the way it was, now im almost completely recovered from that financially and can begin to afford to work on the car (50% of my pay goes straight to my dad) so anyway my plans are begining with getting a set of koni yellows/ground controls, and maybe a set of 04/05 civic special edition wheels if i can find a decent set for a reasonable price...i just wanna keep it looking somewhat stock so cops arent gonna look at it as much.

mods so far:
new stereo/subs
plasti-dip hood
remove hubcaps

mods planned:
koni yellows/ground controls
asr rear subframe brace and sway bar
front sway bar
front and rear strut bars
shave antenna mount
04/05 civic special edition wheels
rsx-s front seats or s2k
gsr rear seats
black interior
intake
exhaust
swap/turbo...maybe...probably a b18b with gsr head/trans if i do
halo/hid headlights
oem fogs
sidemarkers
smoke tail lights

as i complete mods and add more ill update the lists

as i update the thread ill post pics as a new post, as well as compile everything into the first post to make it easier to see the progress without reading the while thread

later when i find them im gonna post some pics

PICS:

Last edited by henry9419; 07-01-2012 at 02:25 PM. Reason: add picss
Old 06-30-2012, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: eg sedan first car build thread

talking with people today and now im torn on what swap to set as a goal...k is out of question, so now its gsr, ls/vtec, or h2b...not quite sure, h2b is a high possibility

what are your opinions? ohh and id like to boost eventually
Old 06-30-2012, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's all up to you on what engine swap you want to do on your car. Are you going to be doing the swap yourself or have a shop do it? I'd go with whatever you feel that is your favorite not what everyone else has in their car now. h2b is a great way to go, great horsepower and torque and a wide range of gearing options on the b-series transmissions. gotta think on what h-series engine to go with like an h22a or h22 euro r, or the almighty h23a vtec, also look into the f20b engines they are pretty sweet with 197hp and 145 lb.ft and come with iron sleeves. The gsr are awesome engines as well, also very easy to swap in your car. I dont really like the ls/vtec or crv/vtec setups because they are oil pump killers and a waste of time if you dont have the funds to build it properly. So think about what you really wanna do and what kind of money you feel comfortable spending on your swap. Goodluck
Old 07-01-2012, 05:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

You missed one of your license plates in your pictures....
Old 07-01-2012, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by redm3turbo
You missed one of your license plates in your pictures....
ohh thanks, i prob just uploaded the wrong copy
Old 07-01-2012, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thirsk66
That's all up to you on what engine swap you want to do on your car. Are you going to be doing the swap yourself or have a shop do it?
im gonna be doing it on my own, gotta think about EVERYTHING ahead of time, since its a daily, and i have friday saturday and sunday off before going back to school monday afternoon, so its gotta go relatively smoothly, well on my own is used loosely, my father and a few other mechanically inclined friends will help me as well

I'd go with whatever you feel that is your favorite not what everyone else has in their car now. h2b is a great way to go, great horsepower and torque and a wide range of gearing options on the b-series transmissions. gotta think on what h-series engine to go with like an h22a or h22 euro r, or the almighty h23a vtec,
id probably go with an h22A and have no idea which tranny yet
also look into the f20b engines they are pretty sweet with 197hp and 145 lb.ft and come with iron sleeves.
that was also one of my ideas, or a j, but idk about the weight of the j, and the amount of work involved
The gsr are awesome engines as well, also very easy to swap in your car.
yea i saw one in my area, complete swap for $1900 with all papers included, with around 80k but at that price i doubt he still has it
I dont really like the ls/vtec or crv/vtec setups because they are oil pump killers and a waste of time if you dont have the funds to build it properly.
i didnt know that about them...guess that variable is out of the equation then
So think about what you really wanna do and what kind of money you feel comfortable spending on your swap. Goodluck
Old 07-03-2012, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thursday im gonna take out my cluster to replace the led in the speedometer needle with the red alert led for my radar detector
Old 07-05-2012, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so i finally got a new box for my subs and now they fit in my trunk,

just bye bye trunk space now one day i gotta build a rack to put the sub amp, and the fourchannel amp that i gotta order yet on so they arent just sitting on the floor, plus then i can push the subs up a bit and get some more trunk space back
Old 07-05-2012, 08:41 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Jeez. Do something with that wiring.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Jeez. Do something with that wiring.
yea i know, its killing me too, but im leaving it til i have the time to build the amp rack then its all gonna be hidden
Old 07-05-2012, 08:43 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by henry9419
just bye bye trunk space now one day i gotta build a rack to put the sub amp, and the fourchannel amp that i gotta order yet on so they arent just sitting on the floor, plus then i can push the subs up a bit and get some more trunk space back
If you're interested in a top of the line amp/speaker combo, let me know. I have a very nice JL/Alpine combination laying around that I'm trying to get rid of on the cheap.

Last edited by jbpnoman; 07-05-2012 at 09:11 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
If you're interested in a top of the line amp/speaker combo, let me know. I have a very nice JL/Alpine combination laying around that I'm trying to get rid of on the cheap.
pmd, not looking for any more subs tho, i have two jl w0 i gotta sell
Old 07-05-2012, 08:50 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'll tell you one thing RIGHT NOW. If you plan on putting that sound system to use at it's fullest potential, be prepared to have your car stolen shortly after that if you don't invest in some security. NOTHING says "come and steal me" like someone calling attention to themselves like you'll be doing.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
I'll tell you one thing RIGHT NOW. If you plan on putting that sound system to use at it's fullest potential, be prepared to have your car stolen shortly after that if you don't invest in some security. NOTHING says "come and steal me" like someone calling attention to themselves like you'll be doing.
yea i know, i dont run it too loud, could prob do with just one of the subs but i got an AMAZING deal on the subs box and amp, i dont have too big of a theft problem in my area, a friend has almost 5k in a stereo and EVERYONE in town knows it proactically since he likes to show off and he hasnt had a problem yet, but im def getting a keyless entry/remote start/alarm system this summer, espec since my car is quite clean, im sure you could sell the parts quite quickly

i plan on getting the windows tinted and installing a kill switch too, tho i rarely park anywhere besides school home or work, all of which the car is under surveillence or is in the open with plenty of people around
Old 07-05-2012, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Main System
Viper 5204 Responder LE 2-Way Security and Remote Start System MSRP:
$479.99
Accessories
Audio Glass Break Sensor MSRP:
$39.99
Digital Tilt Motion Sensor MSRP:
$79.99
Backup Battery System MSRP:
$69.99
Backup Battery Siren MSRP:
$79.99
Trunk Release Solenoid MSRP:
$59.99
Window Automation System MSRP:
$149.99

thats what im thinking atm, just not all at once, slowly ill add the other accessories in order of importance
Old 07-08-2012, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

to paint the valve cover, can i just take it off and put a bag over the engine so no crap gets in and once im done can i just mount it right back on without worrying? besides cleaning dust out of it of course
Old 07-08-2012, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just had a great idea for an amp rack, started arking dimensions on some mdf...once i sleep and its daylight again ill cut it, and see how it works...im gonna need to get carpet to cover it too, also gonna paint the size skirts and "lips" and the door moldings with plasti dip, might also do the wheels and exhaust heatshield...gotta find some milano red paint for myy valve cover
Old 07-08-2012, 08:40 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

http://www.paintscratch.com will be your best friend for OEM paint.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
http://www.paintscratch.com will be your best friend for OEM paint.
cool thanks

i started painting various brackets in the engine bay, next i gotta go to the hardware store and get a bunch of new bolts and some sockets, i also started wiping the engine bay with damp paper towels, amazing how much better it looks with the dust wiped off the rad support

starting to work last night:

debating a hood like this one(not carbon though):

last night:

after some cleaning:

brackets being painted:

gotta leave the sub far enough back so i can add a strut bar later possibly, but that also sacrifices my trunk space further...oh well:
Old 07-09-2012, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

gotta fins somewhere to get my heatshield and valve cover sand blasted:

brackets after being painted:

gotta clean them up better and re paint them, maybe tonight im gonna take the heatshield off and start trying to clean it up better

found a complete manual swap, gotta pick that up, and then come suspension...gonna try to get pics of the whole swap when its being done
Old 07-09-2012, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Progress is being made, keep working.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B_Ray
Progress is being made, keep working.
thanks, my problem is that i dont make enough to get everything done as quick as id like to, and i never know what to get when i do get paid but in between getting paid i have the time to do simple cheap things like work on cleaning the engine bay and all that fun stuff :D
Old 07-10-2012, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im working on hardwiring my radar detector right now, in the am i gotta take the headliner down, well loosen the front to tuck the wiring in, as well as run the wire through the dash and hide the controls where i want to...should be fun, couldint figure out why my 12volt wire wasnt working...honda has a white wire as 12v to the ciggplug the red one is something else...
im gonna run two alert leds, one is gonna be in the speedometer needle, the other is gonna be on the main board with the power and mute button, just gotta figure out how thats gonna work...gonna see if it can power two leds at once and if they are 3 or 12v leds...
Old 07-12-2012, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok so i got the radar hardwired properly, but i have another problem now, my headlighs sucked so i got new bulbs today and installed them but the beam still sucks, my dad aimed them a few months with the old bulbs, but the beam just doesnt seem right, its like a point that goes out and ends around 20 feet ahead of the car then another smaller circle ahead of that, tomorrow im gonna re-aim them with my father and hope that makes them better, and then other wise ill get the halo hid ones ive been looking at, or maybe a new set of oem ones, and black the reflectors and retrofit them myself, then again why would i get a new set just retrofit mine...maybe tsx projectors or something of the like...ill look it up, but im open to suggestions...should be a fun night project for sure, gotta find a weekend when im not working to do it, or at least not working at night...i guess im gonna be looking at retrofits then, and decide what parts im gonna need. maybe it will be easier to order them, but itll be interesting to diy it. well im off to read about the retrofit
Old 07-12-2012, 10:56 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

www.theretrofitsource.com

Give them a call, they'll hook you up with everything you need for the right price. Great guys, too.

Quick Reply: eg sedan first car build thread