Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EG rear camber problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2002, 02:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default EG rear camber problem

Gents,

I am uk based, but since the honda scene is small compared to the US i thought id try this forum for a camber problem im having, hope you dont mind

hoping for a bit of help with my 5gen civic ESi (thinks its and Si over here D16Z6, rear discs and sway bar etc). Got my supersprint centre section fitted this weekend, which is excelent, but while it was on the ramp noticed that both my rear tyres are bald on the inside edge. The car is standard except for the wheels which are 15" with 195/50/15's, and has only done 60k miles, but is 9yr old. Since looking at it there is a visible amount of camber on the rears, but the wear seams nearly identical on both sides.

I imeadiately thought that the camber might be set wrong, but after a quick chat with the local honda dealer it seams that it isnt adjustable, they suggested it may be the toe settings or worn suspension bushes, and want £75+VAT just to adjust the toe and check for problems

Just seems wierd to me that both sides would be worn the same, or very similar and over about 3000 miles/1.5 months, which was the last time i checked em.

Does anyone have any idea what it might be

And if it is the bushes, does anyone know where i can get uprated ones to replace em, companies etc

any help would be appreciated

Eddy

PS sorry for the dodgy units, couldnt be arsed to figure them out in km and $, cheaky but im a lazy git, and at work!)

Old 04-10-2002, 02:56 AM
B18C-EJ1

Default Re: EG rear camber problem (CivicESi)

It could be the rear toe causing the problem.

Best to have an alignment shop do the work, but make sure you get a printout of before and after adjustment specs.

That way you know that you got your moneys worth.
Old 04-10-2002, 05:03 AM

Default Re: EG rear camber problem (B18C-EJ1)

Seems a bit severe to be just toe, its not visibly out, but think the camber is. I was asking first as it pointless paying $40 + for alignment if its not the toe, and they have to take the suspension apart and re do it anyway, just trying to save hassle.

I may bite the bullet and get it done anyway, but i am just trying to save abit of cash and hassle.

Any ideas on the poly bush suppliers, who makes em?
Old 04-10-2002, 05:46 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: EG rear camber problem (DragonCTR69)

If your rear tires are leaning in at the top, then you have negative camber. Honda allows + or - 1 full degree of play before it gets out of specs.

An easy and CHEAP way to correct rear camber without an expensive kit is to buy washers/shims and stick them in between the upper control arm looking thing on the rear and the unibody section where it bolts to. There will be 2 14mm bolts to loosen and remove if you have whole circle washers, or you can just get the kind of washer that's got a slot in it so you can just slide the washer over the bolts as they are loosened but not removed.

Wish I had pics of mine to show you. My car is lowered a good bit and my rear camber is well within specs and all I did was just "shim" the rear like i just explained.

You can pick up the shims/washers from a hardware store, and then just do it yourself and then go get it aligned.

Good luck!
Old 04-10-2002, 05:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: EG rear camber problem (B18C5-EH2)

I think you guys are right, but I'll just throw another thought out there. The rubber bushings in the trailing arms, LCA's and UCA's are garbage from day one. 9 years of wear and tear, there's WAY more compliance in there than there should be. If the UCA bushings are totally shot, you may get up to 5 degrees of camber change just in bushing compliance. Enough to wear out the inside of tire? Ummmmmmm.....like I said, just throwing ideas out there.

I just had the Rear LCA Energy Suspension Polyeurethane bushing pressed in and it's a massive difference, at least in terms of ride and "feel".
Old 04-11-2002, 06:13 AM

Default Re: EG rear camber problem (DragonCTR69)

Had a look last nite, and the only dodgy looking bearings were the big ones in the trailing arms, which i am guessing will not be replacable like the uper and lower bushes! Anybody had problems with the trailing arms or know if they can be swapped?

I wouldnt have thought they would cause the camber to be out so badly, but since they will probably cost a shed load of cash to sort, i will get the alignnment checked first, see if it is that simple. I didnt get it done when the wheels got put on will try that first. Still trying to find someone in the UK that does poly bushes, cant find an importer for energy suspension ones, or havent yet. The front definately needs doing, as there is a fair bit of torque steer already, which the stiffer bushes should sort.

Cheers for the help so far, any more ideas?
Old 04-11-2002, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: EG rear camber problem (CivicESi)

Yes, that trailing arm bushing is truly a pathetic piece BUT, it's the control arms that locate the hub and dictate it's camber angle. It's hard to tell that the control arm bushings are bad until you've got the new ones in and feel the difference. And yes, the front upper bushings are the first to go. If you've got a real grippy set-up, you can feel the upper control arm wallowing around. Take a long screwdriver and stick it between the inner fender and the upper control arm bracket and you'll see what I mean.

Demon Tweeks doesn't carry Energy Suspension?