Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EG hatch is sooo SQUEAKY!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EG hatch is sooo SQUEAKY!!

The rear end of my hatch is constantly squeaking. Tiny bumps, turning, big bumps, driveways, anything! It's always creaking or squeaking no matter what I'm doing. I also notice it a lot more when my seats are folded down. Are there common bushings that go bad that I should look out for or could be my suspension setup? KYB GR-2 shock and spring combo. It's getting pretty ridiculous, I'd like to put this to an end asap. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: EG hatch is sooo SQUEAKY!!

Originally Posted by CubbyChowder
The rear end of my hatch is constantly squeaking. Tiny bumps, turning, big bumps, driveways, anything! It's always creaking or squeaking no matter what I'm doing. I also notice it a lot more when my seats are folded down. Are there common bushings that go bad that I should look out for or could be my suspension setup? KYB GR-2 shock and spring combo. It's getting pretty ridiculous, I'd like to put this to an end asap. Any help would be appreciated.
more than likely a combo of your lower control arm bushings and your rear trailing arm bushings. replacing your LCA's is pretty simple. you CAN replace your trailing arm, even upgrade it for rear disc brakes, or have new bushings pressed if it's that annoying. squeaky trailing arm bushings are pretty common on civics.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so the LCA bushings can get squeaky? Is it a hassle to replace trailing arm bushings?
Old 05-06-2011, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, there is a you tube vid of how to do it yourself. Make a note of the angle of the bushing in the trailing arm and how far it stick thru because your going to want to get the new bushing to be as close as the old one. IF your car is lower, you will want to have your trailing arm at the angle it would normally be at ride height and put the bushing in so that the bolt holes are vertical that way it doesnt bind. Use a heavy duty hammer to knock each side of the bushing to get it in and out. Hope that makes sense, typing with a crying baby is harder than thought. PM me with any questions I left out, just did this for the rear disc swap I did a few weeks ago. PS use a vise if you have one to hold the arm stationary,it helps but not necessary