Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

eg and ek swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eg and ek swap questions

hi everyone.
i started off with a 93 civic hatchback, i got for about $200(its a long story i will tell if you want to know lol)
its a 1.5l d15b7 and auto trans, rust only on rear quarters. nothing wrong with it no error lights, dont burn oil. ya its nice.
then someone down the road from me just sold me a 96 civic 4dr for $400
it has 1.6 d16y7 and 5spd. but... the motor knocks.. he clames he replaced the rod berrings and it still makes the noise, may be bad wrist pin??? bad crank??? still runs and drives fine. dont sound like a valve.
i just traded a set of 17" rims and tires plus $50 for a b18a1 obd1 with 5spd, shift linkage, ecu, wire harness, intake, motor mount, alt, ac compressor and prob other stuff im forgetting.
it need a starter and a clutch, plus tps(it got broke moving) was planning on getting light flywheel and stage 3 cluch anyway so thats no big deal.

so here is the real questions. should i swap the b18 into the 96?, and use the 5spd from 96 to the 93?
or should i swap the b18 into the 93 and then put the 1.5 bottom end on the 1.6, i heard you need only the y7 oil pump on the d15 for the crank sensor.
the reason for all this maddness is i want the 96 to pass inspection and also the 93.
i will be adding a turbo to the car with the b18 soon as i can figure out what i am going to do.
the b18 will have a new headgasket and arp headbolts for boost.

so please help with any info you have so i can get started on this project.
i will post pics later on this week of the cars. and i can get the engine pic soon
Old 11-16-2011, 11:47 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: eg and ek swap questions

You're not going to turbo anything. You cannot swap D-series parts on B-series (for the most part). If I read your confusing post correctly that it what you're asking.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i was not asking if i can put d series parts on a b series, read again.
i wanted to know what option would be better b18 in 96 civic AND put the 5spd for the 96 in the 93 civic, both d series engines. or put the b18 in the 93 and the bottom end of the d15b7 onto the 96 with a bad bottom end of a d16y7.
i dont want inspection problems with the b18 in the 96 so i need to also know what i need to do to pass emmisions.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:57 AM
The Grumpiest

I read it three times. Still not clear.
Also, you would probably BEST be served by calling whomever does your emissions and asking what are the rules regarding such swaps.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i would assume that it would need to be converted to obd2 to work in the 96 civic. also with a o2 sensor of obd2 and dizzy. but i am not sure that is one question i am asking.
not to mention the hydro to cable trans adapter.
but again this is stuff i read and i am not sure.
so would it be easier to just put the b18 in the 93 hatch thats obd1 already(i think)
Old 11-16-2011, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-16-2011, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-16-2011, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-18-2011, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 11-18-2011, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

[IMG][/IMG]
here is the hatch. d15b7 auto. the back rota rim is in font of the black rim on the car just to get a idea of what they look like. i like the rotas better.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the $400 ek sd i just got. installed some halo headlights and blk\red tailights.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

[IMG]
[/IMG]put in tails and aftermarket exhaust
Old 11-19-2011, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so can anyone help me with this?
the question is what car should i install the b18a1 in ??????? its obd1.
the 93 civic hatchback or the 96 civic 4 door.
i want to boost the engine after. and i dont want any emissions problems.
also to include some info the 96 has a knock in the motor(d16y7) and is 5spd.
the 93(d15b7) is auto, so i can use the manual trans from the 96, as i have anothe 5spd with the b18.
please give any info you can.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:48 PM
The Grumpiest

I'm telling you. Your post is too convoluted to be understood. Anything can be swapped into anything HOWEVER no one know anything about emissions in your area because NO ONE KNOWS WHERE YOU ARE!!!

I can say one thing; the cars you have and the engine you posted pics of all look like hell.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

put the engine in whatever the hell you want. why are you asking us what to put it in?
the ls will be faster in the hatch its lighter.. put the complete b7 motor and the y7 tranny in the 4 door and sell it as a running car to fund your turbo build.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
I'm telling you. Your post is too convoluted to be understood. Anything can be swapped into anything HOWEVER no one know anything about emissions in your area because NO ONE KNOWS WHERE YOU ARE!!!

I can say one thing; the cars you have and the engine you posted pics of all look like hell.
agreed
Old 11-19-2011, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why dont you go post your no help somewhere else. you always have your 2 cents in everyone's buisness. i an not implying that you dont know what you are talking about.. i know you do. you are just rude in all of your post. and cant understand anything anyone post talking about. lol i see you in everyone's threads and your always sayin that you cant understand them. and not trying to help them.
if you dont understand them then tell me what you think i am saying and i will corect you.
i know both theese cars are junky.. but thats what i do i restore cars... i got them that way for $200 and $400. and i traded the b18 for a set of rims... i mean comon what should they have diamonds and gold on them for that price?
i am located in upstate ny and rust gets bad fast here is untreated. i am trying to save theese cars.
you are single handedly the top person to chase people away from this website. insted lend a helping hand.
all i am asking is what is a logical choice the install the b18 into.
with some issues on each end.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks someone with a real answer for once.
i was not sure if everything will work together with the half b7 half y7 motor in the ek.
is there anything i will need? someone i know said i need the y7 oil pump on the b7 block because the b7 has no crank sensor. is this true???? anything else needed??
thanks so much really.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:32 PM
The Grumpiest

You know. I don't remember attacking you. Only that your post was confusing-hence absolutely NO responses to it.

There are FAQs with all the links to all the swap info you can possibly want. I think in all the years H-T has been around one or more people will have done the swap you want to do in any combination.

Take the engine and drop it into what ever chassis you want but FIRST you need to contact NYS inspections and ask THEM what is a legal engine to go in what chassis before you waste time asking US.

Anyone can tell you to put an engine into whatever chassis but when you go to get it inspected and find out what you just did isn't legal in NYS then you have only yourself to blame.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:44 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Personal opinion here - take it or leave it:

Put the B18 swap into the 1993 Civic. You will encounter less headaches, especially with emissions/OBD related components by keeping the OBD1 engine in an OBD1 chassis.

You are going to need engine mounts from any 94-01 Integra 5-speed since the DA (90-93) Integra mounts that came with your B18A will not work in your 93 (or 96 for that matter) and U would advise very strongly against any cable-to-hydro conversion horseshit, because they never work as well as simply swapping in an actual hydro tranny.

As far as swapping the SOHC engine block, etc. I still think you're setting yourself up for nightmares in the OBD/emissions department. I'd sell off the EK entirely, or fix it with another (good) D engine entirely so that you can hav a daily driver as well as your project car.

BTW the rear wheel/tire looks awkward in this picture:

I think you just set the white wheel against the car to get an idea what it'd look like mounted, right? At first I thought it was actually on the car an that you had some serious suspension concerns back there, lol.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im still not sure why you want to take apart the perfectly running b7 block to put a y7 head on it. unless im reading wrong. just put the complete running b7 motor and use the 5 speed y7 tranny. i cant answer your question about the crank sensor on the y7 because im not familiar with that. however i dont see why an oil pump would make a difference. but yes if your worried about the cars passing inspection then call to double check what you plan on doing is even legal.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:19 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 89ef9-87starion
im still not sure why you want to take apart the perfectly running b7 block to put a y7 head on it. unless im reading wrong. just put the complete running b7 motor and use the 5 speed y7 tranny. i cant answer your question about the crank sensor on the y7 because im not familiar with that. however i dont see why an oil pump would make a difference. but yes if your worried about the cars passing inspection then call to double check what you plan on doing is even legal.
I think he's saying the D16Y7 block is knocking, so he wants to use the D15B7 block in its place to out into whatever car he's not doing the B18A swap.

...and OBD2 engine oil pumps for B and D series have the mounting boss for an OBD2-only CKF/crank sensor. There is a much easier, effective way to bypass the CKF sensor altogether as opposed to swapping oil pumps.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow thanks for the help. sorry to be rude its just i was already getting a headach from my girl on what to do, and getting no answers from here.

"I think he's saying the D16Y7 block is knocking, so he wants to use the D15B7 block in its place to put into whatever car he's not doing the B18A swap"
thats exactly what i am saying. lol
i know that they plug in the obd port. i was also asking if the b18a could run in the 97 with no check engine light on and as obdII, but it does seem like a pain in the ***.
im sure if the engine light is off and it has a obdII port it will pass inspection.... its just how much work is involved.

ok i guess im gonna toss that b18 into the hatch.
now for the question of the d16y7 with the knocking noise (i am pretty sure its a bad crank)
what would be the best route:
drop the full d15y7 engine, top and bottom in the 97. use y7 intake ect.(idk if this is possible)
d15y7 bottom and d16y7 top. seems straight forward.
or replace the crank with a used good one.
what is your suggestions.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just to add i am planning on fixing the body and engine in the 97 then selling it to fund my turbo b18 hatch project.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

k i am just gonna send the cars and motor to the junkyard. they look like hell and prob will be too much bodywork to fix as you guys said. if anyone wants some cheap parts before tomorrow let me know.

Quick Reply: eg and ek swap questions