Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EG/EK Axles help...

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EG/EK Axles help...

Hey guys, I have a 94' Eg coupe with an integra front suspension...
I bought a brand new Eg passenger side axle for it and put it on, but the boot was a little... strained/stretched because it hooked, but barely. So obviously when I took it on a test drive well, the mechanism inside the boot broke. I was wondering if an EK axle will be compatible with it and will it be a little longer so it can fit better? thanks
Old 03-13-2011, 09:09 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: EG/EK Axles help...

EG/EK use identical axles. You got a bad aftermarket axle from the sounds of things, it happens.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have a 2 or 3 door or a 4 door? Supposedly the 4 doors were a tiny bit wider.

It's also possible it was just bad.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is it swapped?
Old 03-14-2011, 04:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ah.. well i did have a limited time warranty on it maybe i could return it and get a full refund... thanks guys. well the engine is a d16z6, and it's a coupe. so ek axles and eg are exactly the same size in height and width? ahh... man, just my luck. this car has been giving my headaches since i bought it haha. this is the second time the axles broke btw... first the old ones then the new one... fml. does anyone have any recommendations for certain axle brands or parts?
Old 03-14-2011, 04:55 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NotAJDMFanBoy
Do you have a 2 or 3 door or a 4 door? Supposedly the 4 doors were a tiny bit wider.

It's also possible it was just bad.
Where did you hear this?
Old 03-14-2011, 05:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What suspension from a dc did you use?
I have dc2 ITR front lca/ ITR swaybar on
My eg hatch never ran into this problem
Take the axle back and say wteff
Old 03-14-2011, 05:34 AM
Seagull Management

Originally Posted by NotAJDMFanBoy
They're not. Part numbers are the same.

OP, was this car converted from an automatic? If it was and the upper transmission mount situation wasn't handled properly it will leave you with a very screwed up axle angle.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
OP, was this car converted from an automatic? If it was and the upper transmission mount situation wasn't handled properly it will leave you with a very screwed up axle angle.
nah, im pretty sure it was a 5 speed from the get go, but the owner that previously had it did work on it himself, and i'll tell ya he did a hell of a job (in a bad way) because he had plenty of things f***ed up. I had to replace an outer tie rod, driver side bearing, and this axle... twice now. i also had to replace a bunch a nuts and bolts that were missing. all thats stopping me now is just that passenger axle.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EusebioSam19
What suspension from a dc did you use?
I have dc2 ITR front lca/ ITR swaybar on
My eg hatch never ran into this problem
Take the axle back and say wteff
i'll have to get back to you on that one. i might just have to find an eg suspension and put it back on, but its so much work, i just wanna solve this problem already lol.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

also... when i did try to put the new axle on before it was short. the axle was in, but it wasnt all the way in... had to force it in, and we got it, but like i said before it stretched/strained the boot a little...
Old 03-14-2011, 08:18 AM
Seagull Management

I'm running all Integra front suspension, subframe, rack, LCA's knuckles, brakes etc with the stock D-series and there aren't any axle issues. Suspension geometry is identical between the 2 vehicles.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

would the integra front control on my eg cause the axel to have to strech? or would it need the oem eg control arm ?
Old 03-14-2011, 10:49 AM
Seagull Management

Originally Posted by dHaybee
would the integra front control on my eg cause the axel to have to strech? or would it need the oem eg control arm ?
No, they're the same length.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No, they're the same length.
hmm... then what about a way to adjust the control arm or something that'll make it so that my axle sits a little straighter because they're really slanted at a downward angle which might have cause the axle to stretch and snap.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:16 PM
Seagull Management

hmm... then what about a way to adjust the control arm or something that'll make it so that my axle sits a little straighter because they're really slanted at a downward angle which might have cause the axle to stretch and snap.
Can't be done. In any case if somethings wrong then something is bent. Can you take any pics? Include one of the upper transmission mount if you can as well.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Can't be done. In any case if somethings wrong then something is bent. Can you take any pics? Include one of the upper transmission mount if you can as well.
yeah im guessing thats the problem too, something is bent wrong...
i'll take some pics and post it. i also got the new axle but i haven't put it in yet.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i checked the upper transmission mount and that looks fine, the only thing i know that looks weird is the frame that's holding the suspension.... but what if it's my shocks? this car is a freaking headache!!
Old 03-15-2011, 06:23 PM
Seagull Management

Upper control arm looks bent. I've still got a pretty good idea this was an automatic at some point, transmission looks cockeyed, that's why I wanted a pic of the mount. There's very little else that will cause this. Btw you don't need to take the shock fork off the shock to change an axle.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Upper control arm looks bent. I've still got a pretty good idea this was an automatic at some point, transmission looks cockeyed, that's why I wanted a pic of the mount. There's very little else that will cause this. Btw you don't need to take the shock fork off the shock to change an axle.
man the guy that sold me this car jipped me good... lol. so do you think theres anyway to fix my problem? haha... yeah the upper control arm is bent downward... if replacing that, will it bring the arm back up more? about the shock fork... i forgot why we took that off, but i'll tell ya this car was a pain in the *** to remove simple screws...
Old 03-15-2011, 06:32 PM
Seagull Management

man the guy that sold me this car jipped me good... lol. so do you think theres anyway to fix my problem? haha... yeah the upper control arm is bent downward... if replacing that, will it bring the arm back up more? about the shock fork... i forgot why we took that off, but i'll tell ya this car was a pain in the *** to remove simple screws...
Replacing the upper control arm will fix the wicked alignment issues you must be having, but I don't think it's the cause of your axle problems. Like I said take a pic of the upper transmission mount. If it was an automatic its pretty easy to fix the mount situation.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Replacing the upper control arm will fix the wicked alignment issues you must be having, but I don't think it's the cause of your axle problems. Like I said take a pic of the upper transmission mount. If it was an automatic its pretty easy to fix the mount situation.
alright i'll have to do that tomorrow with the upper control arm... and i know im probably gonna hive you a facepalm moment, but im not exactly sure where that is located, but my friend im working with it on might, i'll have to ask him tomorrow, but i do have a picture of what i thought it was... but what if we were to say it was the upper transmission mount, pricey fix?

Old 03-15-2011, 06:53 PM
Seagull Management

That's the mount. But the pic is so close I can't tell. That white bracket the mount bolts to, the one welded to the frame. If it's angled up it's an automatic chassis, if it's flat then it's from a 5 speed. That pic is so close I just can't tell for sure.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's the mount. But the pic is so close I can't tell. That white bracket the mount bolts to, the one welded to the frame. If it's angled up it's an automatic chassis, if it's flat then it's from a 5 speed. That pic is so close I just can't tell for sure.
F... alright i'll have to get another picture up tomorrow for ya. I'm sorry. I really appreciate your help though, but I'll have wait until tomorrow to take another picture since the car is sitting at my buddies garage and I have no way to get to his house right now lol. So if anything, how would I fix my mount problems, if it is the mount?
Old 03-15-2011, 07:08 PM
Seagull Management

I really appreciate your help
You're welcome

So if anything, how would I fix my mount problems, if it is the mount?
Aftermarket auto to manual swap mount (they're around $150 IIRC) or you can drill all the spot welds out of the automatic bracket and weld on the manual bracket. I always did the latter, mostly because i'm cheap and had a welder.

Quick Reply: EG/EK Axles help...