Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EG Big Brake Photo Request!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 05:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EG Big Brake Photo Request!

What's up guys... I'm in the market for a big brake kit, but I don't want to spend over $850.00... So, I was thinking of getting the Wilwood or Baer kit... Anyone own any of these... Let me know what you think of them, and post pics if you got them.... Oh ya... If you own them, let me know if they're prone to rust... I think that's the worst.... Rust on a sweet brake kit ...Thanks...
Old 04-07-2004, 07:09 AM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: EG Big Brake Photo Request! (JRSCB16ARipster)

why the need to spend so much money???

How about Prelude VTEC rotors= 11.1 inches + Prelude VTEC/ITR/or CRV calipers (all the same pads) on GSR/Si/Teg spindles

Have that all setup with pads of choice, fresh rotors from Napa(22 bucks a piece), and the spindles all for under 300 bucks easily!

Since you're looking for a picture and not asking about pedal feel/modulation/stopping distance/ etc.....you'll probably go with what looks "racer" and not what functions the best for cheap
Old 04-07-2004, 12:20 PM

Default Re: EG Big Brake Photo Request! (Emerika)

true that. . . you got told
Old 04-07-2004, 01:03 PM

Cmon man, I'd much rather have the good name big brakes if I could afford it. You've gotta be kidding me-- PERFORMANCE?! THESE ARE HONDAS WE'RE TALKING ABOUT. They aren't Porsches.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Emerika &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> the best for cheap </TD></TR></TABLE>

There is no such thing, you get what you pay for.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EG Big Brake Photo Request! (Jon V)

I agree completely with Jon B. You will get whatever it is you pay for.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Emerika &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
How about Prelude VTEC rotors= 11.1 inches + Prelude VTEC/ITR/or CRV calipers (all the same pads) on GSR/Si/Teg spindles
</TD></TR></TABLE>

99Aeodeck, basically the same thing

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ricky1969 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I agree completely with Jon B. You will get whatever it is you pay for.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Free
Old 04-07-2004, 05:03 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Default Re: EG Big Brake Photo Request! (ricky1969)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ricky1969 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I agree completely with Jon B. You will get whatever it is you pay for.</TD></TR></TABLE>

wrong.

SO I spend 2500 bucks on a certain coilover.

Somebody else spends 1200 on all his suspension....he does better in the skid pad, is faster around course, and has a better all around setup....

But, I paid more so mine MUST be better. Too bad this is what the Honda world thinks. Thats why so many people put thousands into their only to have a marginal setup
Old 04-07-2004, 05:15 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: EG Big Brake Photo Request! (ricky1969)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ricky1969 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I agree completely with Jon B. You will get whatever it is you pay for.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You're full of ****, too.
Old 04-07-2004, 05:16 PM

Location: San Diego, I miss Chicago, but love SD, CA, US of fuckin A

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Emerika &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

wrong.

SO I spend 2500 bucks on a certain coilover.

Somebody else spends 1200 on all his suspension....he does better in the skid pad, is faster around course, and has a better all around setup....

But, I paid more so mine MUST be better. Too bad this is what the Honda world thinks. Thats why so many people put thousands into their only to have a marginal setup </TD></TR></TABLE>

In my opinion there are no rights and wrongs. Right and wrong is all opinion. You get what you pay for if you shop smart. So your telling me a KAZ 1.5way LSD will perform better, be more reliable and match better to my y21 trans then the Mugen 2way setup? There is almost a 100% difference in price and I'm sure almost a 100% difference in performance. The little things may not be noticed by the daily driver but the true race enthusiast will notice a slightly stiffer ride when upgrading front sway bars from 22mm to 28mm for instance. I go by this rule of thumb. "If your gonna spend the money, then spend the ****** money." Why go with a cheap counterpart if what you truly desire is performance, wouldn't you want the best? Thats why daily drivers spen $300 on some ground control coilovers and true race enthusiasts spend the $2,000 on a nice tein or tanabe suspension. Money talks, bullshit walks literally. Buy a cheap part for your car and you will eventually be walkin.. Have a good day... HAPPY TUNING!!!
Old 04-07-2004, 05:20 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Default Re: EG Big Brake Photo Request! (HondaFanatic708)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondaFanatic708 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

In my opinion there are no rights and wrongs. Right and wrong is all opinion. You get what you pay for if you shop smart. So your telling me a KAZ 1.5way LSD will perform better, be more reliable and match better to my y21 trans then the Mugen 2way setup? There is almost a 100% difference in price and I'm sure almost a 100% difference in performance. The little things may not be noticed by the daily driver but the true race enthusiast will notice a slightly stiffer ride when upgrading front sway bars from 22mm to 28mm for instance. I go by this rule of thumb. "If your gonna spend the money, then spend the ****** money." Why go with a cheap counterpart if what you truly desire is performance, wouldn't you want the best? Thats why daily drivers spen $300 on some ground control coilovers and true race enthusiasts spend the $2,000 on a nice tein or tanabe suspension. Money talks, bullshit walks literally. Buy a cheap part for your car and you will eventually be walkin.. Have a good day... HAPPY TUNING!!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

I thought you knew what you were talking about until the Tein line.... *shrug*

You obviosuly have no clue what "real racers" run....go see how many ECHC or WCHC or any real Honda race car is running......some might run Tein....but more are on ERS's with custom Konis

you obviously think this guy gives a flying terd about what performs better??

No...he wants something that looks good.

And for most racers, ESPECIALLY a light EG....running a close to OEM spec setup with better pads will be more than good enough.

Friend's running NSX calipers with Prelude VTEC rotors(from Napa for 22 bucks) on his EG race car....no need for anything more

Oh yeah....the more you spend the better your car will perform......riiiiiiight
Old 04-07-2004, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This man knows his ****. ^^

I have friends with TONS of money in their cars and I can outrun them/outhandle them/outstop them.

That money is spent on bling and name brands 9 times out of 10.

Please don't pick up some Tein SSs and think you're gods gift to handling.

Emerika speaks the truth. I run a 96 ITR brake setup (which I purchased EVERYTHING for, including the full brake setups/rims/tires/Wedsport pads and an ITR rear sway bar- for under 700 dollars) and will outstop somebody who has more money in a big brake kit and bigger rims.
Old 04-07-2004, 05:48 PM
Munkyw3rkz.webs.com

here my Big Brake kit!

Old 04-07-2004, 05:49 PM
TSPeed Factory

Default Re: EG Big Brake Photo Request! (Ricey McRicerton)

yeah, sometimes you do get what you pay for but not in this case. my GSR brakes all around provides plenty of stopping power and thats with shitty pads i picked up at schucks for $23.
Old 04-07-2004, 06:01 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Location: new jersey home of wanna be's posers claimers ricers biters and where everyone fakes the funk
Default Re: EG Big Brake Photo Request! (AzntaggeR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SnoFlake EG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">here my Big Brake kit!

</TD></TR></TABLE>

nice!
Old 04-07-2004, 06:01 PM

Location: San Diego, I miss Chicago, but love SD, CA, US of fuckin A

I thought you knew what you were talking about until the Tein line.... *shrug*

You obviosuly have no clue what "real racers" run....go see how many ECHC or WCHC or any real Honda race car is running......some might run Tein....but more are on ERS's with custom Konis

you obviously think this guy gives a flying terd about what performs better??

No...he wants something that looks good.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Thats fine, most people don't care how it performs. They saw a movie with Civics so they bought one. **** makin your **** look good. Paint and other junk doesn't make you fast. **** I am still sportin that gay Paradise Blue Pearl color.

And for most racers, ESPECIALLY a light EG....running a close to OEM spec setup with better pads will be more than good enough.

Friend's running NSX calipers with Prelude VTEC rotors(from Napa for 22 bucks) on his EG race car....no need for anything more

Oh yeah....the more you spend the better your car will perform......riiiiiiight</TD></TR></TABLE>
Not really the more you spend. I mean yeah you can buy some really expensive paperweights. But I mean c'mon. Will a cheap thermal exhaust look ok, yeah. But will it perform like a Greddy or Zigen? Hell No! Brakes are another story. Yeah you can get a full setup for some $350 that will be plenty of stopping power. However it WILL NOT feel like a Brembo 4pot on some 12" slotted rotors. I gotta leave this thread before I get bashed anymore for my opinion. Sorry if I upset you Emerika, that was not my plan. I just think that if you want something nice then spend some money. If you just want it to function, then hit up the boneyard. For example I am doing a full ITR suspension conversion. I am buying all the parts brand new from Acura just to make sure what I am getting isn't damaged. I don't care if I can get the same setup for half as much, it would mean twice as many headaches.
Old 04-07-2004, 06:05 PM
Solbros Owns Me

I hear what you're saying....

but I'm too poor to buy any nice new parts- so I gotta see what will work best for my car while spending the least and doing the best.

I am very happy with my car's handling (not brakes since I'm back to stock for now- had the ITR/Prelude setup till I went 14" wheels), and have driven cars with the 2k dollar suspension, and doesn't feel as good.

It's all preference
Old 04-07-2004, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Part of what you said HondaFanatic708 I agree with. Some of it not.

The R suspension is a complete and total waste of time if you're going to spend money. Especially if you plan to buy all of it new from Acura.

A thermal exhaust is just as nice as a 5zigen or a Greddy, so there was your first mistake.

Also, buying stuff used can lead to headaches, but not all the time. I've had plenty of things I got secondhand work just fine.

What good does it to have 4 pot Brembos and 12 inch rotors when you use the same tires as another setup that can lock all 4 brakes anyway? You can lock your tires up faster and increase your stopping distances. Yay for that.

I think you've got a lot to learn if you actually want to spend more money than you have to just to say "yeah, I payed xxx for this." Seems like a pretty juvenile way to get stuff.
Old 04-07-2004, 06:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh yeah....the more you spend the better your car will perform......riiiiiiight</TD></TR></TABLE>

one....i had a bigbrake kit...went back to oem stuff....out brakes the bigbreak kit in a heart beat!!!

2 i'm running that setup....IN A RACE CAR AND A DAILY DRIVEN CAR.....won't stop a car anybetter cept with r compound tires on too....

i've spent 44 bucks on my setup PLUS brake pads 110 bucks.....i guarentee i stop better than any car in the EG FORUM!!!! per weight!
Old 04-07-2004, 06:40 PM
Munkyw3rkz.webs.com

Default Re: EG Big Brake Photo Request! (chad)

ok to some a 5 lug set up is a waste! yes it does weight a lot more then stock! but some look for a all around look and perforance!

if i was only concerned with going fast then i would have a stripped interior, etc...just the shell and a motor!

some want a look b 4 the perforance! TO EACH HIS OWN!

other want a balanced car! they want a lil something different to separate them!

even if there arre a bit of dc/eg running 5 lug it still make them stand out just a lil more! thats my $.02

dont get it twisted ive thought about getting rid of my 5 lug because of the weight but come on...how can someone get rid of it like like that!
Old 04-07-2004, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EG Big Brake Photo Request! (JRSCB16ARipster)

OEM wear items are good, for 2 reasons. 1 readily avalable 2. cheap
Old 04-07-2004, 07:12 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Default Re: EG Big Brake Photo Request! (chad)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

one....i had a bigbrake kit...went back to oem stuff....out brakes the bigbreak kit in a heart beat!!!

2 i'm running that setup....IN A RACE CAR AND A DAILY DRIVEN CAR.....won't stop a car anybetter cept with r compound tires on too....

i've spent 44 bucks on my setup PLUS brake pads 110 bucks.....i guarentee i stop better than any car in the EG FORUM!!!! per weight!</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats all anybody needs...

to Chad and his driving skills
Old 04-07-2004, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EG Big Brake Photo Request! (slammed_93_hatch)

I'm still jealous of that slammed_93_hatch.

BTW, where is your axle/axle nut in that picture?
Old 04-07-2004, 07:27 PM
Solbros Owns Me

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm still jealous of that slammed_93_hatch.

BTW, where is your axle/axle nut in that picture?</TD></TR></TABLE>

obviously not on
Old 04-07-2004, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha the pic's were taken RIGHT when i got everything on. i hadn't got my new axels from the store yet but i still wanted to throw the wheel on.

i had some new pix of it, but because it was with a new camera and i was fuckn with the settings they came out horrible. and now that im away from my car i can't take any pics.

i guess what it comes down to is knowing what you do with your car and how, and why brakes will fad and how to prevent this.

i mean emerica and chad and Ricey and i along with 92b16vx all came in here to try and show some one that you can get great stoping power with something stock. and in most cases it will work just as good if not better then some expensive aftermarket part. now thats not to say that the aftermarket part sucks. but brakes are a WEAR item and i don't like to spend outrages money on wear items when i can get equal performance out of something cheaper. after my first couple track events this summer i wont be going back to the brembo rotors, i got them simply because they were fairly cheap i new i wouldn't be running threw a set of rotors every month.

Quick Reply: EG Big Brake Photo Request!