Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Edelbrock Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Edelbrock Turbo?

Does anyone know much about the new Edelbrock Turbo for the d16y8. They claim 170hp w/ 7lbs of boost. Is it anygood and have they come up with a price yet?
Old 04-16-2003, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Edelbrock Turbo? (binkster)

never heard of it
and thats not that hard, thats only 70hp

that can be done on a junkyard setup.
Old 04-16-2003, 05:59 PM
Banned

Default Re: Edelbrock Turbo? (Kamin)

It's still TBA... I have the new order book, and its in it with no ****** price.... but they claim its going to be 3500.
Old 04-16-2003, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kamin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">never heard of it

that can be done on a junkyard setup.</TD></TR></TABLE>

70hp on a y8 is nearly a 70% increase in power. That is impressive on the daily driver. You should check out the edelbrock kit. It comes with some very nice goodies and an interesting fuel management setup.
Old 04-16-2003, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Edelbrock Turbo? (kommon_sense)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kommon_sense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It comes with some very nice goodies and an interesting fuel management setup. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Extra fuel injectors right? That scares my noob mind for some reason.
Old 04-16-2003, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Edelbrock Turbo? (piscorpio)

The Edelbrock kit is nice. It probably costs an arm and a leg though.
Old 04-16-2003, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by piscorpio &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Extra fuel injectors right? That scares my noob mind for some reason.</TD></TR></TABLE>

don't remember if extra injectors are included, but Edelbrock even includes their Victor X intake manifold. I thought the fuel setup was just a basic missing link/FMU deal. but it's a very complete kit. i'd be interested in it, but it'll probably still be forever until it comes out.
Old 04-17-2003, 04:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Edelbrock Turbo? (Daniel)

Yea that kit was in a M&M magazine, it was a complete kit. However I know they will try to empty your pockets on this one, and it will be better to buy one of the basic kits with a custom FMU. But you have to give them a for considering the SOHC guys.
Old 04-17-2003, 05:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Why so you can pretend like youre interested, FL/OK
Default Re: Edelbrock Turbo? (dabrown)

Yes, but nowadays what does "complete" actually entail?
Old 04-17-2003, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by piscorpio &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Extra fuel injectors right? That scares my noob mind for some reason.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, a new intake manifold and according to the write-up 4 *ADDITIONAL* injectors. My understanding is that their fuel management will engage the 4 supplemental injectors whenever they detect boost. Nothing really to be scared of with that solution. It is very clean and gets the job done. It is not much different from getting a vafc and larger injectors.
Old 04-17-2003, 06:01 AM
Banned

Default Re: Edelbrock Turbo? (INVALID)

Trust me this is the most complete ****** kit i have ever seen, you dont need **** for it, except injectors...... comes with everything, the only reason it isnt out yet, is because they are waiting for the emissions to pass for the kit. should be out before july(hopefully).

everything comes pre-assembled. ceramic coated steel piping, tial blow off, aluminum exhaust mani, garrett T28, Victor X intake mani, spearco intercooler, **** i just creamed my pants typing this...
Old 04-17-2003, 06:04 AM

I am not trying toflame but, Why buy a turbo kit for like 3000 to get 170hp you could buy a B16 for like 1500 save your money tubo that and you would have like 250 to 300hp. If I had a turbo and was still getting my *** kicked by stock Mustangs I would feel like a dumb ***. Just my .02
Old 04-17-2003, 06:07 AM
Banned

Default Re: Edelbrock Turbo? (13HYBRID20)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 13HYBRID20 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am not trying toflame but, Why buy a turbo kit for like 3000 to get 170hp you could buy a B16 for like 1500 save your money tubo that and you would have like 250 to 300hp. If I had a turbo and was still getting my *** kicked by stock Mustangs I would feel like a dumb ***. Just my .02 </TD></TR></TABLE>

extremely ignorant comment...
Old 04-17-2003, 06:58 AM
In The Garage

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Edelbrock Turbo? (Irishweird00)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Irishweird00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

extremely ignorant comment... </TD></TR></TABLE>
not totally. i thought it was at first, but he has a point. now, about the turbo kit, yes, its very nice. I had the victor x intake mani on my turbo gs-r, and damn. major bling factor there. i'm not sure about the previous "aluminum exhaust mani" post, that seems very wrong, but oh well. the kit is a VERY nice starting point. sets you up with 8 injectors, you can upgrade those when you build the engine. very manageable
Old 04-17-2003, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 13HYBRID20 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am not trying toflame but, Why buy a turbo kit for like 3000 to get 170hp you could buy a B16 for like 1500 save your money tubo that and you would have like 250 to 300hp. If I had a turbo and was still getting my *** kicked by stock Mustangs I would feel like a dumb ***. Just my .02 </TD></TR></TABLE>

1. Last time I checked a b16a2 complete swap was in the ballpark of $2600 + shipping + install.
2. Its silly to say, "If you are gonna buy a turbo, then why not swap and turbo" Money does not grow on trees... If it did, then none of us would be driving civics to begin with...
3. 250-300hp is really pushing it on stock internals on a b16, you would have to spend additional money to make the engine capable of handling that type of power daily driven.
4. Street racing is dumb.
Old 04-17-2003, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The exhaust manifold and downpipe on the Edelbrock kit are Ni resist steel. The added nickel adds corrosion resistance!

BTW....their 96-00 D16Y8 will be the ONLY E.O. legal kit on the market! No cops will be able to hand you a ticket for that! And, with the 4-extra injectors (included in the kit and pre-installed on the intake manifold) along with the piggyback computer will be a pre-tuned kit. No chasis dyno tuning needed what so ever, they did it for you!

Some of the intake charge pipes are CAST aluminum, to gets the pipes through tight spaces and keep the area needed for good performance. Who else does that???
Old 04-17-2003, 07:48 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Edelbrock Turbo? (Marauder)

do you know how to build a turbo? I wouldnt buy anything that first began their business with american cars and now took the import scene into account because it can make them money.
Old 04-17-2003, 07:59 AM

Default Re: Edelbrock Turbo? (purek9hybrid)

can you fit this on a d16z6 ?
Old 04-17-2003, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by purek9hybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do you know how to build a turbo? I wouldnt buy anything that first began their business with american cars and now took the import scene into account because it can make them money.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Edelbrock has an extremely long racing heritage...by addressing us with a d16y8 they are one of the few companies doing that, with all the swaps happening now, no one really cares much about the SOHC guys, i give them props for addressing this area...
Old 04-17-2003, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No offense but my bro has a 4door civic with a B18 and Turbo, it's fast as all out doors. However the car feels front heavy due to the swap and turbo.. Parts are still cheaper for the D16's and if you need to replace the engine it's a lot cheaper. If your into drag racing at the track of course, you still can put down high 13's with a good setup on the D16. It's still personal preference.
Old 04-17-2003, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by purek9hybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do you know how to build a turbo? I wouldnt buy anything that first began their business with american cars and now took the import scene into account because it can make them money.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, get this....the project engineer who designed the kit worked for Garrett for a number of years. How many engineers at aftermarket companies worked for an OEM turbo MFG before hand?

Old 04-17-2003, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Edelbrock Turbo? (dabrown)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dabrown &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Parts are still cheaper for the D16's and if you need to replace the engine it's a lot cheaper. If your into drag racing at the track of course, you still can put down high 13's with a good setup on the D16. It's still personal preference. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Good point! If money is going to be tight, you may want to stay D series!
Old 04-17-2003, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Edelbrock Turbo? (Ricey McRicerton)

one of the best reasons to stay with the d is cost. You can build it slowly, or go all out, and it isnt going to break you. Plus there aren't as many people with fully built b series swaps as you may think. So they're still running a "stock" eng. while you can have some decent fun, at maybe less than breakneck speeds. A b is impressive, but a d is pretty fun. depends on your goals.
Old 04-17-2003, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A turbo is a turbo. There really isn't any diff between a turbo for an import and a turbo for a domestic. Just pick the right sized turbo and tune it properly. They are using the same quality parts that you will find in any of the kits out there. The only diff is they have a better fuel management system than I have seen with any other kit on the market.

Isn't that how a business is supposed to work? They saw an untapped market and made a good product to fill the void. Most people are so concerned with the b-series, that the d-series has been overlooked. I'm glad to see this new kit on the market. My only concern is just how much will this setup cost...
Old 04-17-2003, 12:07 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kamin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">never heard of it

that can be done on a junkyard setup.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i thought d16y8's were 125 to the crank stock.

Quick Reply: Edelbrock Turbo?