Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

ECU Chipping Experience's

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU Chipping Experience's

I was just wondering if anyone who has chipped their JDM DOHC VTEC b16 p30 ecu could share some info as to what chip has the best fuel ignition tables, what sensor they eliminate and which are best to nix, and what an optimal VTEC crossover and rev limit are for my JDM b16 DOHC VTEC motor. Been have some trouble with these chips and was just wonderin if anyone could share some wisdom and past experience's. I want an agressive weekend toy that can be city driven without running outrageously too rich before the vtec crossover.
Thanx
Old 09-18-2004, 10:40 AM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ECU Chipping Experience's (DelSolKid)

on stock motor, tunning want do ****. Stock fuel and ingnition maps are pretty good.

And all these skunk2 and other chips are crap.
Old 09-18-2004, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ECU Chipping Experience's (ABK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ABK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">on stock motor, tunning want do ****. Stock fuel and ingnition maps are pretty good.

And all these skunk2 and other chips are crap.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not really true. Its all about setup. Stock blocks can use tuning, especially with bolt-ons on the system.

The BEST route to go though, is get a custom program that is tuned directly for your setup, nothing else will match it.
Old 09-18-2004, 12:35 PM
All Motor Mentor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ECU Chipping Experience's (splitime)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by splitime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Not really true. Its all about setup. Stock blocks can use tuning, especially with bolt-ons on the system.

The BEST route to go though, is get a custom program that is tuned directly for your setup, nothing else will match it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree. I have seen independant dyno tests done on a stock engine with Hondata/Uberdata type programing as the only mod and saw some decent gains.

Chipped programs are a COPMROMISE at the best of times...I'd stick to a stock program before I'd go to one of them. You car will run much better that way and that's what you're really after anyway.
Old 09-18-2004, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

But, as for your P30, when it does come time to play with chip tuning, there are a few sensors you'll need to disable (if its the JDM version) in order not to throw a CEL.

-Atmospheric Pressure sensor -{disable}-
-Knock Sensor (JDM Engine) -{disable}-
-Injector Test Routine -{disable}-

-Also, if you're like me and have removed your power steering and air conditioning, there is no need for the ELD (Electronic Load Detector) and it can be disabled as well, seeing as it will only cause small 100-200rpm surges in your idle speed.

These are the settings I found to be correct for a JDM P30 with JDM b16 engine...however these will vary between different motor/ecu combinations.
Old 09-19-2004, 12:25 AM

Default Re: (honda_power69)

yeah tuning can help a lot, vtec crossover is good anywhere at 5200-5500 depending on opinion, as for chipping, if the chips your looking at are the crap off ebay dont bother, I did a swap for someone that had an ecu from a ebay place and it was a chipped p06 that was chipped to the customers spec, but it had many problems and even caused the car to over heat as it didnt recognize temp signals.
Old 09-19-2004, 01:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (honda_power69)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by honda_power69 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
-Knock Sensor (JDM Engine) -{disable}-
</TD></TR></TABLE>

JDM P30s have a knock board... and can remain enabled if you choose to use the knock sensor...