Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Dumb Question...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dumb Question...

I have the AEM Cold Air Intake on my 2000 Si. Is there any way I can cut it to make it a short one??? If so How? If not...What should I do...
Old 06-06-2007, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dumb Question... (LadySi2000)

why do you want to make it short? The colder air coming from outside is better than the warm engine bay air
Old 06-06-2007, 09:24 AM

Default Re: Dumb Question... (cimo463)

Cuz I'm making it a daily driver and was worried about hydrolock...But I've been reading and I'm seeing that it's not really something to worry about...I was just wondering if there was a way to cut the cold air and have it still work...
Old 06-06-2007, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

honestly...sell the AEM cold air intake and buy a PasswordJDM Carbon Fiber Power Chamber...makes same power as cold air intake, is short ram, and dont have to worry about it hydrolocking...180 bucks cant go wrong
Old 06-06-2007, 09:25 AM

Default Re: Dumb Question... (cimo463)

u can cut it up... cai is better then short ram in some ways, but it has it cons to it like puddles of water.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hacksaw. Why not get the AEM bypast valve since you're going to hack it anyways.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:26 AM

Default Re: (Probot)

for passwordjdm
Old 06-06-2007, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LadySi2000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Cuz I'm making it a daily driver and was worried about hydrolock...But I've been reading and I'm seeing that it's not really something to worry about...I was just wondering if there was a way to cut the cold air and have it still work...</TD></TR></TABLE>

You'll hydrolock if the intake is submerged in water, you can put a bypass valve for your cai, and be set if your just driving in the rain and not going over puddles of water. I had a aem cai, and drove in the rain with puddles, when i got home the intake filter was moist, wet and also bent up, and NO the motor did not hydrolock, because months of driving in that condition and after that, car still pulled with no problems, drove strong and hard. That's my experience with it, don't take my word for it, but having the intake submerged in water will do the damage.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:49 AM

Just sell the AEM and buy a shortram, or cut it and put an AEM bypass valve on it. I've had a CAI with the bypass for 3 years and never hydrolocked. I do avoid puddles, but the car has been driven in pouring raid with the bumper off and did fine.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:15 AM
I love to drive

Default Re: (theruckus)

I would just cut the pipe before it turns down and slap the filter on the short pipe. If you ever wanted to go back to a CAI, you can get a silicone coupler and reattach the bottom portion.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:20 AM

Default Re: (Ghetto Civic HX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ghetto Civic HX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would just cut the pipe before it turns down and slap the filter on the short pipe. If you ever wanted to go back to a CAI, you can get a silicone coupler and reattach the bottom portion.</TD></TR></TABLE>

this is what i did...when its raining out i takes me 2 minutes to convert to short ram i keep a screw driver and 10mm socket and ratcht in between the seats. Never had a problem with doing this.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:26 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (B16b-EJ8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B16b-EJ8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
this is what i did...when its raining out i takes me 2 minutes to convert to short ram i keep a screw driver and 10mm socket and ratcht in between the seats. Never had a problem with doing this.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Did that on my old hatch too, ricers were amazed and were asking me where I got the "killer intake"

I like this one a lot better though, sounds meaner and the *** dyno approves.

http://www.procarparts.com/sto...oreDB
Old 06-06-2007, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ek forever guy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
http://www.procarparts.com/sto...oreDB</TD></TR></TABLE>

The whale *****.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:11 AM

Default Re: (kaiba)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kaiba &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The whale *****. </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol, nice
Old 06-06-2007, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (that_vtec)

Instead of cutting the AEM, sell it. Take your money and buy an ebay kit with a K/N cone air filter. It'll be cheaper and work just as well.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:29 AM

I don't want to spend anymore on this car....
Old 06-06-2007, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Dumb Question... (kaiba)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kaiba &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hacksaw.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Took the words right out of my mouth.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dumb Question... (kaiba)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kaiba &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hacksaw. Why not get the AEM bypast valve since you're going to hack it anyways.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

The only time that bypass valve works is when the filter is completely submerged in water and it doesnt' take complete submersion to cause hydrolock!
Old 06-06-2007, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Dumb Question... (EX-T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTECth1s &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You'll hydrolock if the intake is submerged in water, you can put a bypass valve for your cai, and be set if your just driving in the rain and not going over puddles of water. I had a aem cai, and drove in the rain with puddles, when i got home the intake filter was moist, wet and also bent up, and NO the motor did not hydrolock, because months of driving in that condition and after that, car still pulled with no problems, drove strong and hard. That's my experience with it, don't take my word for it, but having the intake submerged in water will do the damage.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm usually the one bitching about hydrolocking only b/c I've seen it a few times.

Though in all honesty it's REALLY hard to hydrolock. I forgot where it was where they stuck the whole filter under water and it didn't manage to hydrolock - but it's hard. Water's a lot heavier than air - hard to suck "up."

Though the bypass valve is the best option IMO.

I use a short ram intake and it doesn't do anything short of bypass the resonator piece. At the point of a short ram it's better just to leave the OEM box in there. Luckily mine just happens to be sized up perfectly and the filter's jammed right behind the light - but w/ most pple it's not like that and it's actually closer than the stock one...

Get the bypass or put ur stock one back. I wouldn't by a short ram again - it just <u>sounds</u> more powerful.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:28 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Dumb Question... (EX-T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EX-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The only time that bypass valve works is when the filter is completely submerged in water and it doesnt' take complete submersion to cause hydrolock!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well the bypass valve works on this principle:

It is harder to suck up water than it is air. The reason a mist will not cause hydro lock is because it is not dense enough to make the engine stop. Fuel injectors mist fuel in to the comustion chamber. The way a motor would hydro lock is when there is enough density of water drawn in thru the filter mesh screen to lock up the motor. This almost requires a full submersion.

Air is less dense than water. If the water being sucked in is dense enough to hydro lock a motor (greatly more dense than air), the bypass valve opens, and there is no longer vacuum in the intake tube between the filter and bypass valve, so the water falls back out of the filter.

So bypass valves are a pretty confident and surefire way to prevent hydrolock. Otherwise, the method of cutting it down to convert it into a short ram and then using a coupler to put it back to cold air for dry days works as well.

I've never had any problems with my CAI with or without a bypass valve. I do not use any valve on my S2000. I use a bypass valve on my GSR because it's my daily, and when my sister comes home from college for a few days every few months, she might need a car. I never used a bypass valve on any other daily.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:32 PM
I love to drive

Default Re: (LadySi2000)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LadySi2000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't want to spend anymore on this car....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Then cut you current intake and be done with it.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Ghetto Civic HX)

I have filled cylinders 1 and 4 on my teggy with a stock box. Filter was soaked with water.

The starter mount brackets were broke and half *** rewelded. Saved me from a hydrolock.

Quit being a ***** and cut it. Keep a coupler and a screwdriver around for the cool dry nights.