Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

driving in rain...car totalled

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2002, 02:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default driving in rain...car totalled

First off I would like to say there is no way to go back and change things so you live and you learn. I'm posting out of sadness due to the fact that my 92 Cx which I have only had for not even enough time for the title to come back to me....is gone...because of my carelessness.

I hope Tom doesn't delete this due to the fact that it is slightly not technical but I would like everyone to take a second and think about everything that we take for granted. I took for granted I was not going to hit any huge puddles of water and my car wasn't going to hydroplane across 3 lanes and get hit head on by a Jetta tonight.......but it did, and nobody was hurt thank God.

I guess I should have known that my tires didn't have tons of tread and didn't dissipate the water like new ones, so please everyone no matter if the road is just wet and you think your getting grip, it takes only a heartbeat for all hell to break loose. So take time to and access situations more carefully than I chose tonight.

I'm not asking for anyone to feel sorry for me, I just am sure that there are many people out there that was thinking or still think just like I did tonight, I wasn't driving erratic through traffic or anything, but just moving along down the interstate, probably faster than I should have been, but not triple digit speeds or anything. I wish these mistakes could be prevented, but I hope everyone will maybe learn something from me and just be careful while on wet pavement or in the rain. I hope that nobody else ever has to go through what I did tonight. Time for a hunt on another hatch....the swap survived so onto another hatch with it as soon as I find one.
Old 09-15-2002, 03:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: driving in rain...car totalled (DarkSubRosa)

Sorry to hear that, I know how you feel. I wrecked my CRX a while back on wet roads when I was just driving normal. You never know what can happen, so everyone just think and be careful.

ps Since the CRX is gone I'm moving on to a 92-95 hatch to build up, so I'll be around here more now.
Old 09-15-2002, 04:53 AM

Default Re: driving in rain...car totalled (B16CRX)

Yup, no matter how careful you are, accidents happen. That's why their called accidents. In a driving manual, it states that most accidents are caused by driver error, which is true to a point. Obviously if it's something technical or mechanical (loss of brakes), you don't really have control of it unless you yourself worked on something (for example, you work on your brakes but didn't take all the procedures to ensure their safety and reliabiliy, which therefore falls on you) and put it's reliability in jepordy. Just learn from our mistakes and do your best not to repeat them.

[Modified by Milano97, 1:55 PM 9/15/2002]
Old 09-15-2002, 04:56 AM

Oh...it's a good thing you are ok, which is great to hear. Cars are replaceable but human's are not...now if you got into the accident cause you were street racing (which I know you weren't), I would have less pity for you, because that is something that could have been prevented or avoided completely.
Old 09-15-2002, 06:15 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: driving in rain...car totalled (Milano97)

No man I wouldn't lock this one up, nor any other personal testimony type threads either.

I like to think that our forum is also a community/famliy of sorts, and it's cool if we share stuff like this.

I'm really sorry about your car man. The rain we had here in the southeast was really horrible this past weekend and it was pretty treacherous to try and drive in. I literally drive slow as **** in the rain and if it's bad enough I'll hit my hazards and if people want to get pissed at me then that's tough ****.

It way too easy to hydroplane in our featherweight cars - especially if we have a swap and it's power.

What kind of tires were you running on?

On a side note are you still coming down for NOPI? Yeah yeah it might be a tad depressing to see all those other cars without yours, but look at it this way - you'll probably find a hatch down here that's for sale.

You need to IM me about a car to buy - that's all I'll say.

Later man, and thank God you or anyone else wasn't injured.
Old 09-15-2002, 06:30 AM

man i'm so sorry to hear that bro
but anyways . . . pick yoorself back up on yoor feet and move on . . .
move on to something better
Old 09-15-2002, 06:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: driving in rain...car totalled (Phi Si)

Sorry to hear that this happened to you I was envolved in a wet weather accident a few years ago, which lead me to purchase the civic i have now. Everything happens for a reason...you just need to determine what it is. Good luck with your new search.
Old 09-15-2002, 07:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: driving in rain...car totalled (phillydx)

glad ur ok...whether on dry and especially in the wet its not wise to find the limits of ur car...also, happy that someone has the ball s to say they mess d up and taking responsibility for their own actions..when ur on new wheels again im sure ur going to be an example to the other car enthusiasts
Old 09-15-2002, 07:56 AM

Default Re: driving in rain...car totalled (deepnite)

I'd like to say thanks to everyone for their support so far, and Tom, I don't think I can make it to Nopi for the simple sake of money more than just being depressing. I'm having to be super tight on money because of having to find another car and the ticket a cop gave me for careless driving since I hydroplaned and hit someone. I really would like to go though, I've looked forward to Nopi just for the sake of the fun I've had for the past 4 years in going, it'll be my first missed show since......like 97 or something. I'm going to bounce back from this though....and the next go around I'll be a dumpload more careful.
Old 09-15-2002, 03:05 PM

bump
Old 09-15-2002, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry to hear that.

Not long ago me and a friend were coming back from miami and we were doing about 65 on the highway, but it had been raining the whole night. All of a sudden we started spinning and hit the guard rail.

I'm very causious now when I drive in the rain, due to the reason that 4 of the 5 acidents I've been in have been in the rain.
Old 09-15-2002, 03:27 PM

Default Re: driving in rain...car totalled (Boost Pressure)

Sorry to hear that.

Not long ago me and a friend were coming back from miami and we were doing about 65 on the highway, but it had been raining the whole night. All of a sudden we started spinning and hit the guard rail.

I'm very causious now when I drive in the rain, due to the reason that 4 of the 5 acidents I've been in have been in the rain.
....... yea from now on im going to be super driving like a granny in the rain once I get my next project started. No more red cars for me though, my red prelude last two months before a deer took out the side of the car and it died, then i had my red hatch for like 1 month after i sold the coupe and now this...geez...please can i get a break

[Modified by DarkSubRosa, 6:27 PM 9/15/2002]
Old 09-15-2002, 03:58 PM

Both of my accidents have been in the rain, it's worse when the rain has just started because the grease, oil and grime on the street comes up and turns the pavement into a slipin' slide. Another reason I use tires with a good wet weather traction.
Old 09-15-2002, 04:50 PM

Default Re: driving in rain...car totalled (seano)

What are some good wet weather tires that you guys have owned? (I'm looking to replace my OEM Mich 195-55-15's with 205-50's...
Old 09-15-2002, 11:13 PM

Default Re: driving in rain...car totalled (b20guy)

check out http://www.hondamotorcycles.com, and check out a scooter man. 2000.00 bones for a scooter, and they get you around. cheap transportation. not very safe.
Old 09-15-2002, 11:42 PM

Default Re: driving in rain...car totalled (SlowD)

check out http://www.hondamotorcycles.com, and check out a scooter man. 2000.00 bones for a scooter, and they get you around. cheap transportation. not very safe.
and that has what to do with this???
Old 09-16-2002, 02:42 AM
HT White Ops

hit head on by a Jetta tonight... I'm not asking for anyone to feel sorry for me...
Okie dokie, I won't! Next time go for a Mustang. No bragging rights wiping out Jettas!
Old 09-16-2002, 02:46 AM
HT White Ops

Default Re: driving in rain...car totalled (B18C5-EH2)

It way too easy to hydroplane in our featherweight cars - especially if we have a swap and it's power.

What kind of tires were you running on?
In keeping with the new 'guidelines', may I suggest Yokohama YK-420's? You can get them at Discount Tires. They're excellent in rain...
Old 09-16-2002, 03:53 AM

Default Re: driving in rain...car totalled (BlackDeuceCoupe)

yea i actually thought of switching to yokohama's, i was running shitto nt-450's at the time of the accident
Old 09-16-2002, 04:39 AM

my deepest apology to yuo and I am glad you're ok. A car is a car, but the fact that you and the other driver are ok is wonderful.

I've had bad experiences w/ hydroplaning earlier.. w/ a lowered car and all you konw the water just stays in your wheel well. but whenever its rainging im the one in the right lane w/ the hazards. id rather get somehwere 20 minutes late than crash again.

number one deal is you're ok and a car can always be replaced.
Old 09-16-2002, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: driving in rain...car totalled (h00kup)

That sucks man...i hope everythign comes together and gets back to the way it was
Old 09-16-2002, 07:49 AM

Default Re: driving in rain...car totalled (Sohc Driver)

darksubrosa, check my sig (but you already know that )

[Modified by 311, 11:49 AM 9/16/2002]
Old 09-16-2002, 08:52 AM

Default Re: driving in rain...car totalled (311)

darksubrosa, check my sig (but you already know that )

[Modified by 311, 11:49 AM 9/16/2002]
hehe, thanks bro, I'll be calling you today...its a definate 100% I'm getting it...time for my new project to begin, hopefully with better luck than this past one.
Old 09-16-2002, 08:14 PM

Glad to hear you've replaced it Jake!!
Old 09-16-2002, 09:02 PM

Default Re: driving in rain...car totalled (hoss)

good luck with the new project car!

and guys, remember, dont hit the brakes when u hydroplane....

Quick Reply: driving in rain...car totalled