Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

down gear from 3rd to 2nd

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default down gear from 3rd to 2nd

hi, i have a 98 civic ex coupe 5spd d16y8, if i am going around 80km/h in 3rd gear, and suddenly down gear to 2nd. would it heard anything? would it burn the clutch if i let it go slowly?

thx
Old 09-28-2003, 03:07 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lets see... 80kph = 48mph

to do this downshift your resulting RPM in 2nd gear would be around 5000-6000 rpm. nothing will be hurt, but it would be best to rev-match it instead of just using the clutch
Old 09-28-2003, 03:22 PM

Default Re: (soccaian)

how do i do this rev matching, how do would my feet work if i am stepping on the brake? and how do i know how much to rev up to?

thx
Old 09-28-2003, 03:31 PM

Default Re: (jordan88)

Clutch in -> Shift 2nd -> Rev Engine -> Release clutch

That way you are spinning the engine up to the RPM that the tranny will put it in, and it isn't the tranny suddenly being forced to spin the engine up.
Old 09-28-2003, 03:34 PM

Default Re: (Prevail)

not easy to do.. properly. but if you can do it right everytime, your money. ive been practicing a little bit...
Old 09-28-2003, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jwn7)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jwn7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not easy to do.. properly. but if you can do it right everytime, your money. ive been practicing a little bit...</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's not that bad. Pretty simple to do correctly, IMO. I rev match a lot, seeing as how my dying Y8 requires me to downshift frequently so people behind me don't get angry. I've also been practicing heel-and-toeing around corners. I'm not bad, but I still need lots of practice. It's fun when you do it right, though, but it's something I still have to think about a little. Can't wait until I'm good enough where it's instinctive.
Old 09-28-2003, 04:04 PM

Default Re: (Daniel)

how do you know how high to rev it? just have to know your gears well?
Old 09-28-2003, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jwn7)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jwn7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how do you know how high to rev it? just have to know your gears well?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, pretty much. I mean, I'm not exactly perfect at rev matching, but I can do it well enough so that the car doesn't jerk too much when I downshift. I kind of do it by instinct now, and it's usually pretty smooth. Although, sometimes I don't rev it high enough and then it's jerky, but that doesn't happen too often.
Old 09-28-2003, 05:00 PM

Like previously stated, you just rev match by heal toe shifting. left foot presses in clutch, right toes press brake, stab gas with right heel to appropriate rpm. takes some practice to get ur feet comfortable and to learn what rpm to match for how fast your going.
Old 09-28-2003, 06:08 PM

Default Re: (i steal things)

i do it naturally now
Old 09-28-2003, 06:15 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Daniel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It's not that bad. Pretty simple to do correctly, IMO. I rev match a lot, seeing as how my dying Y8 requires me to downshift frequently so people behind me don't get angry. I've also been practicing heel-and-toeing around corners. I'm not bad, but I still need lots of practice. It's fun when you do it right, though, but it's something I still have to think about a little. Can't wait until I'm good enough where it's instinctive.</TD></TR></TABLE>

why do you heel-toe around corners?????? wouldnt that result in major FF drifting?
Old 09-28-2003, 06:19 PM
93EH6

Default Re: (frosteg6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by frosteg6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i do it naturally now </TD></TR></TABLE>
Same here
Old 09-28-2003, 06:24 PM
93EH6

Default Re: (Hype-aaaRRRR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hype-aaaRRRR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

why do you heel-toe around corners?????? wouldnt that result in major FF drifting? </TD></TR></TABLE>

No it is when you need to slow down in a corner to a point that it would be better to be in a lower gear but you still need to brake so you heel toe
Old 09-29-2003, 12:16 PM

Default Re: (93EH6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93EH6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No it is when you need to slow down in a corner to a point that it would be better to be in a lower gear but you still need to brake so you heel toe </TD></TR></TABLE>

uhh i dont thinks so... i could be wrong, but i seriously dont think any "good" or "sane" driver would heel/toe in the middle of a corner to slow down or down gear, i would simply rev the **** out of it and throw it in a lower gear...and maybe lift the throttle alittle bit if i was going to fast into a corner to get the back end out a little and to throttle steer. have you ever heel/toed in a corner?
Old 09-29-2003, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you heel toe before you enter the corner. so you can slow down enough to enter it at a good speed, and so youll be at a shorter gear when you exit the turn
Old 09-29-2003, 12:29 PM

Default Re: (JUN EK9)

trail brake
Old 09-29-2003, 12:54 PM

Default Re: (jerseybrandon)

ahhhhhhhh rev matching once you learn how to do it thats all you do
Old 09-29-2003, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (jerseybrandon)

I'm pretty good about matching revs. I have a 7lb alluminum flywheel w/ a 6 puck clutch and if I don't match them while down shifting it chatters so hard it feels like my engine is going to jump through my hood.
Old 09-29-2003, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i think the idea of rev mathcings all about balance, if you approach a corner and do a jerky downshift the car will be off balance for the turn and you will end up getting round slower or not at all... try left foot breaking as well to reduce understeer...that's a nasty one to practice - your right foot gets so used to the brake pedal resistance that when you brake with your left foot you'll apply too much pressure...best do it somewhere safe..

Modified by goodbyegti at 2:06 PM 10/3/2003
Old 09-29-2003, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hype-aaaRRRR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

uhh i dont thinks so... i could be wrong, but i seriously dont think any "good" or "sane" driver would heel/toe in the middle of a corner to slow down or down gear, i would simply rev the **** out of it and throw it in a lower gear...and maybe lift the throttle alittle bit if i was going to fast into a corner to get the back end out a little and to throttle steer. have you ever heel/toed in a corner? </TD></TR></TABLE>

you don't do it in a turn you do it coming into a turn say in youre 3rd coming into a corner that requirs you to be in 1st so you hit the breaks then as youre speed is right you throw the heel to the throttle and rev it up and let out the clutch. its not nessacary but it is alil easier on the car.
Old 09-29-2003, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (slammed_93_hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slammed_93_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you don't do it in a turn you do it coming into a turn say in youre 3rd coming into a corner that requirs you to be in 1st so you hit the breaks then as youre speed is right you throw the heel to the throttle and rev it up and let out the clutch. its not nessacary but it is alil easier on the car.</TD></TR></TABLE>I hope he knows how to heel-toe!
Old 09-29-2003, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (slammed_93_hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slammed_93_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you don't do it in a turn you do it coming into a turn say in youre 3rd coming into a corner that requirs you to be in 1st so you hit the breaks then as youre speed is right you throw the heel to the throttle and rev it up and let out the clutch. its not nessacary but it is alil easier on the car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly. You don't do it during the corner; you do it to get into the gear required by the corner before actually entering the corner. I learned from my older brother, but here's a website that explains it. http://www.edmunds.com/ownersh....html
Old 09-30-2003, 12:15 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Daniel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Exactly. You don't do it during the corner; you do it to get into the gear required by the corner before actually entering the corner. I learned from my older brother, but here's a website that explains it. http://www.edmunds.com/ownersh....html</TD></TR></TABLE>

exactly. it takes a while to get used to, but once you do it becomes second nature. i make rev matching and heel-toe downshifting a daily occurance while driving on the street. once you learn YOUR car. it will make the driving experience so much better.

its not exactly needed on the street, but if you ever plan on tracking or even autoX ing you will be glad you have been practicing your technique.
Old 09-30-2003, 01:45 PM

Exactly. You don't do it during the corner; you do it to get into the gear required by the corner before actually entering the corner. I learned from my older brother, but here's a website that explains it. http://www.edmunds.com/ownersh....html</TD></TR></TABLE>

you went from heel/toeing in the corner to not doing it during the corner ...your confusing me!
Old 09-30-2003, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you went from heel/toeing in the corner to not doing it during the corner ...your confusing me!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Didn't mean to confuse you. I see where you got the idea when I wrote "around corners." Meant to say before entering the turn.

and for jeremyEG----I can't wait until it's second nature to me! I'm almost there but not quite. Still have to put a little thought into the process but much less than before.

Quick Reply: down gear from 3rd to 2nd