Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Door jammed!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door jammed!!!!!!Yes I searched

Okay so I got a rear passenger side door handle from my boys EG sedan to swap the passenger side door handle on my EG hatch (as I had done before on my EF) But now the door will not open neither from the inside or outside.
After I swapped the handles the door wouldn't close so I put the lock on and close the door shut after that it wouldn't open (yes with the lock off)

Has anyone done this swap before could you tell me anything else I need to do or left out?
And how can I get my door open now?

<U>Please help </U>

Modified by MR.RED'89 at 10:10 PM 7/4/2005

Modified by MR.RED'89 at 11:05 PM 7/4/2005
Old 07-04-2005, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Door jammed!!!!!!Yes I searched (MR.RED'89)

Old 07-04-2005, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think you forgot to connect the metal wire, j/k.

BUMP for Sammy.
Old 07-04-2005, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Andres-eh2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Andres-eh2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i think you forgot to connect the metal wire, j/k.

BUMP for Sammy.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Mr Funny Guy here yeah yeah yeah I connected the wire jerky...LOL

Can someone please help me out!!!!
Old 07-04-2005, 08:29 PM

Default Re: (Andres-eh2)

hmph that sounds pretty weird ... i'd say open up the door n take a look inside but u can't even do that ... when u reconnected the handle, maybe u disconnected something ... :-\
Old 07-04-2005, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ibe2fly)

I have no idea what the hell happened all I know is I can get my damn passenger side door open..................ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRG H
Old 07-04-2005, 08:34 PM

Default Re: (MR.RED'89)

make sure it's unlocked :-x ... if it is pullthe handle out all the way from the inside and push if that doesn't work have someone pull the handle open from the outside and push open the door from the inside ...
Old 07-04-2005, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ibe2fly)

Anybody please

Modified by MR.RED'89 at 10:11 PM 7/4/2005
Old 07-04-2005, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MR.RED’89 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Anybody please

Modified by MR.RED'89 at 10:11 PM 7/4/2005</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 07-04-2005, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

for some help plz
Old 07-04-2005, 10:11 PM

Location: San Diego, I miss Chicago, but love SD, CA, US of fuckin A

Not sure never tried it, maybe it's the fact that you used the REAR handle from a 4dr on the front handle of your hatch. I never owned a 4dr civic, does the door unlock automatically when you pull the handle, I don't believe it does. Meaning there is no lock/unlock on the handle itself because that goes to the little knobby by the window. Not sure if this would even be a problem though. Pull off the inside door handle and pull the steel bars. One will open the door if you pull it hard enough..
Old 07-04-2005, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HondaFanatic708)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondaFanatic708 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not sure never tried it, maybe it's the fact that you used the REAR handle from a 4dr on the front handle of your hatch. I never owned a 4dr civic, does the door unlock automatically when you pull the handle, I don't believe it does. Meaning there is no lock/unlock on the handle itself because that goes to the little knobby by the window. Not sure if this would even be a problem though. Pull off the inside door handle and pull the steel bars. One will open the door if you pull it hard enough..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Which bars Fanatic?
Old 07-04-2005, 10:22 PM

The little maybe 4mm bars that connect the inside handle to the lock/latch mechanism. There should be two, one will lock the door when pulled toward the front of the car and unlock when puched to the back of the car (or visca versa, too tired to thin straight right now) and the other will open the door latch when pulled towards the front of the vehicle. Good luck and good night, I'll check in tomorrow on this tip..
Old 07-04-2005, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondaFanatic708 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The little maybe 4mm bars that connect the inside handle to the lock/latch mechanism. There should be two, one will lock the door when pulled toward the front of the car and unlock when puched to the back of the car (or visca versa, too tired to thin straight right now) and the other will open the door latch when pulled towards the front of the vehicle. Good luck and good night, I'll check in tomorrow on this tip.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'll try that tomorrow thanx Fanatic
Old 07-05-2005, 08:01 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MR.RED’89 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'll try that tomorrow thanx Fanatic </TD></TR></TABLE>Not a problem. I hope I can help to some degree because I have never heard of anyone swapping 4dr rear handles with front ones. I'm personally thinking it isn't possible without modifications to the handle, latch/lock mechanism. But I could be wrong because like I said I have never heard of anyone attempting this. Let me know how things work out. If need be I can see if the factory service manual has any more details on troubleshooting a sticky door.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it wont work without modifying things like hondafanatic said. i have the rear handles on my sedan shaved and planned to put the rear handles on the front but they didnt line up at all when i attempted it and i didnt feel like modifying the front doors at the time. im sure you could get it to work, but it might just be easier to take out the lock mechanism from the front handle and fill it with something and prime and paint the handle (since im guessing you're wanting the swap for the lack of keyholes on the rears). either way its not as simple as just swapping them out.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:20 AM

Default Re: (cha5e)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cha5e &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it wont work without modifying things like hondafanatic said. i have the rear handles on my sedan shaved and planned to put the rear handles on the front but they didnt line up at all when i attempted it and i didnt feel like modifying the front doors at the time. im sure you could get it to work, but it might just be easier to take out the lock mechanism from the front handle and fill it with something and prime and paint the handle (since im guessing you're wanting the swap for the lack of keyholes on the rears). either way its not as simple as just swapping them out. </TD></TR></TABLE>Yeah thats what I figured, but since I never tried it I couldn't bash it. Cause with enough time, money and creativity anything is possible..
Old 07-05-2005, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (cha5e)

Yeah one of the mounting points lined up just fine but the other one didn't so what I did was I had an aluminum bar that's about 1/4" thick cut a piece and drilled holes then what I did was bolted one end to the mounting point on the door and the other end to the mounting point on the handle it holds up good....But now I can't get the damn door open.
What I was thinking is that when I do get the door open getting the rear passenger side locking mechanism from a EG sedan since that doesn't have the latch for the door lock and maybe just maybe it will work that way.
Im gonna see if anyone is parting out a sedan so I can get that and try it out.
Also I had done a search on door handle swaps someone said they did it on their EG but there's no write up on it.
Im gonna have to PM him and find out.

Fanatic im gonna try what you said when I get home from work today so I'll post sometime tonight with an update.

Old 07-05-2005, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I mean I did it when I had my EF so I thought it would be as easy as it was back then....
Old 07-05-2005, 10:43 AM

Yeah I'm sure there will have to be some wierd mod in the EG. **** if all works well throw together a quick write-up..
Old 07-05-2005, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah there has to be a way to do it with out any problems...now if I could just get the door to open.
Hey Fanatic if not too much trouble could you look in the helms for door jam or anything that will help me get it open.

Thanx brotha