Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Door Dings........More Door Dings....How to Cover it Up ?????????????????????????????

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Dings........More Door Dings....How to Cover it Up ?????????????????????????????

What is the best way to cover up the door dings? I am going to have my 93 Del Sol painted soon but I would like to smooth out all door dings.
Tapping it out from the inside didn't work..
Freezing/hair dryer trick didn't work....
I think I need to cover it and sand it out before painting over them.
Do you know any link or thread with some pictures that shows how to put on plaster and sand it out? If this is not the way to go, please advise.

Btw, I am thinking about getting the cheapest paint job done at Maaco for like 250 bucks. I know this paint job sucks but I can't afford anything more expensive. Do you know if this paint job will give the glossy look for at least 2 ~3 years?
Old 11-11-2009, 07:58 AM

Default Re: Door Dings........More Door Dings....How to Cover it Up ?????????????????????????

Have you tried using a pry bar on the dings?? a simple pry bar resembles some of the professional dent wizards use(the end smooth part that is).

Check with the body shop for a stud setter like this http://www.htpweld.com/products/auto...tud_setter.jpg

They are what body shops use to pull dents out.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Door Dings........More Door Dings....How to Cover it Up ?????????????????????????

Originally Posted by CRX T-Si
Have you tried using a pry bar on the dings?? a simple pry bar resembles some of the professional dent wizards use(the end smooth part that is).

Check with the body shop for a stud setter like this http://www.htpweld.com/products/auto...tud_setter.jpg

They are what body shops use to pull dents out.

LoL..You know what I did try that but I ended up cracking the paint. I think its because the paint on my car is old and dried..
Old 11-11-2009, 09:32 AM

If you are going to get the car painted then why are you worried about cracking the paint??

If you want it to be professionally done then you may need to contact the dent wizard or just get the kit from them and learn how to do it yourself. It could be a good learning experience and Profitable for yourself as well.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:23 AM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

who cares if you crack the paint if your repainting, also macco is crap and for 250 its going to be a orange peal nighmare, and i highly doubt it will look good for more than a year.

go to the paint and body forum, and im sure you will see some ways to fix the dents,
Old 11-11-2009, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i own a 95 accord and a 96 dx civic and both have dents and dings both are black need help
Old 11-11-2009, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98civdx
who cares if you crack the paint if your repainting, also macco is crap and for 250 its going to be a orange peal nighmare, and i highly doubt it will look good for more than a year.

go to the paint and body forum, and im sure you will see some ways to fix the dents,

Problem is that even if I poke or pry them out, they don't look smooth. I can still see the wrinkles and pits from the light reflections.
I want to cover and smooth them out so that there is no flaw..
Old 11-11-2009, 10:51 AM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

thats what bondo is for, it will smooth those areas out.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

tap out the stress/high points of the ding before you try and pop it out. make sure your not trying to pop the dings out from the middle. i went on youtube and learned alot. some colleges offer a 3 day class on paintless dent removal. i've always wanted to do it