Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

don't get your car stolen!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default don't get your car stolen!

for those of you on the east coast that live in high theft areas, fox news at 10 tonight is doing a segment on the theft of cars. theives can get keys to your and just drive away like its their car.

the news peoples will tell you how to prevent this. might be worth watching for those of you in NYC, jersery, Nova, and other areas.

Old 11-05-2003, 03:01 PM

Default Re: don't get your car stolen! (Train)

i missed it, any good advice
Old 11-05-2003, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: don't get your car stolen! (quikyEG)

umm maybe its the vin number key request from dealer way? block all vin numbers on your car, tape over them.
Old 11-05-2003, 04:04 PM

Default Re: don't get your car stolen! (Spoon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spoon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">umm maybe its the vin number key request from dealer way? block all vin numbers on your car, tape over them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

that a good idea.. I just put a business card over my VIN works great.. and hidden kill switches..
Old 11-05-2003, 04:06 PM

i'm sure thieves will watch as well
Old 11-05-2003, 04:07 PM

Default Re: don't get your car stolen! (untuned)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by untuned &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that a good idea.. I just put a business card over my VIN works great.. and hidden kill switches..</TD></TR></TABLE>

isn't that illegal???

concealing the vin........
Old 11-05-2003, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: don't get your car stolen! (Jswpstdoff)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jswpstdoff &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

isn't that illegal???

concealing the vin........</TD></TR></TABLE>

No. I dont have a VIN on my dash.

liam
Old 11-05-2003, 04:13 PM

Default Re: don't get your car stolen! (liam821)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by liam821 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No. I dont have a VIN on my dash.

liam</TD></TR></TABLE>

since you dont have one does that make it legal?

not to be a dick but just wondering..

i thought that if you swap your dash u got to go to the dealer to put a new vin on&gt;??
Old 11-05-2003, 04:23 PM

Default Re: don't get your car stolen! (Spoon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spoon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">umm maybe its the vin number key request from dealer way? block all vin numbers on your car, tape over them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

When I bought my car, it only had a copy key, so I went to a honda dealer and was like can you copy this key on a genuine honda blank. They told me they needed the VIN. So I went outside, copied my vin and voila, I had a copy of the key for my cars doors and ignition... I could have gone in with any key blank, went outside to a another car (honda of course) given them that vin and would have had a key to that car... If hiding vin's is legal... I'mma do it.
Old 11-05-2003, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: don't get your car stolen! (degooser)

If a cop does give you **** about it, explain it to them why you blocked it. I'm pretty sure they'll understand... if not, then he/she is just an ***.
Old 11-05-2003, 04:31 PM

Default Re: don't get your car stolen! (quikyEG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by quikyEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i missed it, any good advice</TD></TR></TABLE>

No you didnt, it's only 8:30
Old 11-05-2003, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: don't get your car stolen! (743)

i can open your honda/acura with my own keys. and start your car and drive away within minutes understand opening an closing your car door and turning your ignition on and off all those years wears down the tumbbler in the key mechanism... and if you've ever taken it apart and looked at your tubbler tabs you can see it is only mm that make it turn or not to turn..try and you will see what i mean...

what does that mean.... you either get new door locks and a new ignition. or you do your security set up in multiple layers....

so in other words , the crooks dont need a vin to get your car... and no im not one of them... i just did experiments on my friends parts car...
Old 11-05-2003, 04:48 PM

Default Re: don't get your car stolen! (88hf)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 88hf &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i can open your honda/acura with my own keys. and start your car and drive away within minutes understand opening an closing your car door and turning your ignition on and off all those years wears down the tumbbler in the key mechanism... and if you've ever taken it apart and looked at your tubbler tabs you can see it is only mm that make it turn or not to turn..try and you will see what i mean...

what does that mean.... you either get new door locks and a new ignition. or you do your security set up in multiple layers....

so in other words , the crooks dont need a vin to get your car... and no im not one of them... i just did experiments on my friends parts car...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Out of the 8 or 9 hondas that me or my friends have or had, not one of the keys interchanged with another car, except for one, and it only clicked into the first ignition position, not the accessory.
Old 11-05-2003, 04:53 PM

Default Re: don't get your car stolen! (743)

I think think the cops can do any think about the vin on ur dash. I've never seen a cop even look for my vin number. I know some ppl that drive around in cars that don't even have dashes Just a thought
Old 11-05-2003, 05:22 PM

Default Re: don't get your car stolen! (dragaccord)

Cliffort with Blackjax = ur car being there, or 1 block away haha
Old 11-05-2003, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: don't get your car stolen! (Quad-Damge)

I was at a dealership where a guy lost his keys. He had to show insurance card w/ VIN and DL to get his new set!
Old 11-05-2003, 05:42 PM

Default Re: don't get your car stolen! (Caveman74)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Caveman74 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was at a dealership where a guy lost his keys. He had to show insurance card w/ VIN and DL to get his new set!</TD></TR></TABLE>

making keys is so easy.... just think about the guys that work at dealerships, if u worked at acura and u see a nice ITR come by u take his plates, check it out on the computer, and make a key.... that simple.

and blocking the VIN is the best way of preventing that kind of theft, legal or not its smart.
Old 11-05-2003, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: don't get your car stolen! (Navid OG)

scary isnt it
Old 11-05-2003, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cover up your vin numbers
Old 11-05-2003, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: don't get your car stolen! (silverEH2)

blocking the vin is illegal but its not really noticeable, when you do, i read somewhere that there needs to be a vin visable from out side the car, i e the windshield. but i still cover mine and do get layers upon layers of protection.

too many thieves out there
Old 11-05-2003, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: don't get your car stolen! (Quad-Damge)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Quad-Damge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Clifford with Blackjax = ur car being there, or 1 block away haha</TD></TR></TABLE>

so I just read up on this, and it sounds like a good idea.. but it also seems like a hassle, like I get in and out of the car frequently while it's still on (like when leaving a party or whatnot) so each time I would have to re-enter the pin-code... sounds like a good product for some people
Old 11-05-2003, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

blocking vin #'s is illegal, o damn look like some said that
Old 11-05-2003, 07:40 PM

Default Re: (stock93cx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stock93cx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">blocking vin #'s is illegal, o damn look like some said that</TD></TR></TABLE>

if i have to do something illegal to protect myself then imo its not illegal.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: don't get your car stolen! (EGRhatch)

hell yeah cliffords alarm with black jack kicks *** the only bad thing is puttin in the code every time you open a door but you get used to it real quick
Old 11-05-2003, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: don't get your car stolen! (dys3767)

well i watched all of the fox 10 oclock news here in atlanta and saw nothing on this topic

Quick Reply: don't get your car stolen!