Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

This doesn't make sense... An auto tranny that will not die...

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2002, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This doesn't make sense... An auto tranny that will not die...

In 1997 I bought a new Civic EX. Bone stock. Now, I'm running 8 psi constantly for about 40,000 now.. I've heard so many bad things about Honda autos and how a supercharger (or any forced induction, chemical or whatever) kills autos. I've been dragging with it (High 14's, low 15's) since last May.. I DO NOT UNDERSTAND THIS. Why won't it die. It's just a D16Y8 with Integra rods with the usual bolt-ons (I/H/E). It doesn't even shift hard or slip... I bought the car new, and I'm the only owner... I haven't touched the tranny... Why is this? What have I done to not deserve a manual tranny?
Old 07-05-2002, 09:22 PM
senior gold member

Default Re: This doesn't make sense... An auto tranny that will not die... (Hadji)

What year integra rods are you running? I have some lying around and was wondering how much it takes to have the machine shop modify them.
Old 07-05-2002, 09:25 PM

Default Re: This doesn't make sense... An auto tranny that will not die... (Ivan)

My rods came directly from a 1997 Integra LS auto. I was told that they're shotpeened at the factory, I didn't believe them so I did it. It was a direct swap if I remember right...

[Modified by Hadji, 1:26 AM 7/6/2002]
Old 07-05-2002, 09:28 PM

Default Re: This doesn't make sense... An auto tranny that will not die... (Hadji)

Ha ha, let me drive it. I guess you are doomed to always sport the auto tranny. Anyways, if you don't mind my asking what turbo are you running? I have an auto tranny now, and want to go turbo too so your insight might help thanks.
Old 07-05-2002, 09:34 PM

Default Re: This doesn't make sense... An auto tranny that will not die... (SilverCivic2k)

Do you do crazy power-shifting or leaving it on hills without the handbrake?? My guess is you just take better care of it than most people with automatic civics...
Old 07-05-2002, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i am not 100% sure on this but it might be that newer automatic cars come with some sort of transmission cooler from factory... and also newer chips prevent damage from neutral dropping? i dont know for sure
Old 07-05-2002, 09:56 PM

Default Re: This doesn't make sense... An auto tranny that will not die... (benzcivic99)

I'm gonna try to answer all the questions I can here..

My Turbo?

I'm running a T-03 from Greddy. Greddy BOV and Wastegate.. Spools about 3K

My maintenance...

I change the tranny fluid every 20k or so (Honda ATF) and I have about 60,00 on it .... I don't know of any tranny coolers on stock autos, if anyone has any info, I'd love to hear it. I don't power brake or N-Drop or shift around on the auto (D4 all the way baby!). I do pull the e-brake whenever I'm stopped and I shift into neutral at stoplights on hot days. I don't shift into any gear when the car is rolling, even at idle. I see people throw the car into drive from reverse getting out of a parking spot all the time.

I can't think of anything else right now.. Questions welcome... I can't figure it out so maybe someone has a concrete answer for me.

Thanks for the replies! Keep 'em coming.

Old 07-05-2002, 11:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm gonna try to answer all the questions I can here..

My Turbo?

I'm running a T-03 from Greddy. Greddy BOV and Wastegate.. Spools about 3K

My maintenance...

I change the tranny fluid every 20k or so (Honda ATF) and I have about 60,00 on it .... I don't know of any tranny coolers on stock autos, if anyone has any info, I'd love to hear it. I don't power brake or N-Drop or shift around on the auto (D4 all the way baby!). I do pull the e-brake whenever I'm stopped and I shift into neutral at stoplights on hot days. I don't shift into any gear when the car is rolling, even at idle. I see people throw the car into drive from reverse getting out of a parking spot all the time.

I can't think of anything else right now.. Questions welcome... I can't figure it out so maybe someone has a concrete answer for me.

Thanks for the replies! Keep 'em coming.

dude you're crazy you take care of your car like carzy, and on the other hand you want it to die out. Well if you want it to die out just simply stop babying it. Abuse that dam bitch. Neutral drop that heo, if you really want it to break.
Old 07-05-2002, 11:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: This doesn't make sense... An auto tranny that will not die... (sshaikh01)

n-bomb baby! n-bomb!!
that will kill it fuckn FAST
(rev to redline in neutral drop it to D)
Old 07-05-2002, 11:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: This doesn't make sense... An auto tranny that will not die... (KAMiN)

i don't think you really want this tranny to die. If u did u wouldnt take such good care of it.

Just do n-bombs and it'll break....
Old 07-06-2002, 10:33 AM

Default Re: This doesn't make sense... An auto tranny that will not die... (Boost Pressure)

Well it sees almost 7K rpm daily.. I thought the turbo would kill it by itself... I guess I was under the impression that Honda Auto's suck and I thought I abused it... I don' t know, that's just how I was taught to drive an Auto.
Old 11-06-2002, 07:47 PM

Default why kill it???

I know why you want to kill kit, but why not get a performance torque converter and see how it flys. Changing the stock torque converter will increase horsepower since you have turbo and make you lock up in gears quicker and safer. Plus these performance torque converters are monsters at holding stress.
Old 11-06-2002, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: why kill it??? (Aznboi64)

This is a 5 month old post....... I think the guy's tranny died already