Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Does Voltage Stabilizers Work?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does Voltage Stabilizers Work?

leaning on purchasing one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...n%3D4

Power Windows, HIDs, FogLights, everytime i switch it on seems like its taking too much energy and the car is making a louder noise than before.

will this solve the problem?
Old 04-08-2008, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Does Voltage Stabilizers Work? (jdmstockeg6)

Old 04-09-2008, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't spend so much on one. I did have one, along with a grounding kit on my '03 Mitsu lancer, and with the 1300rms stereo system I had the factory battery/alternator lasted me through till this past Feb. when I traded it in. To me, if done right it "can" help...but results won't really be noticeable.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:49 AM

Capacitor for subs. Bigger battery (better capacity), better alternator if you plan on draining it.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:41 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmstockeg6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">leaning on purchasing one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...n%3D4

Power Windows, HIDs, FogLights, everytime i switch it on seems like its taking too much energy and the car is making a louder noise than before.

will this solve the problem?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your power windows are only taking up power when they're actually operating. The HIDs take up less power than regular headlights. The foglights are the only additional drain....but it can't be that bad.

The voltage stabilizers dont really work all that well for your situation. They wont make a HUGE dramatic difference. Dont waste your money. If your car is "making a louder noise than before", that could mean 1 out of 20million billion zillion things.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have one of those....Seems to work fine...will boost ur 12v batt. to approx. 14.5 - 15v at least thats what it reads on mine...around 14.7 14.8. but as for ur situation not sure if it will solve ur problem as we both have different setups and vehicles
Old 04-09-2008, 11:05 AM

Default Re: (SinsEvil666)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SinsEvil666 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have one of those....Seems to work fine...will boost ur 12v batt. to approx. 14.5 - 15v at least thats what it reads on mine...around 14.7 14.8. but as for ur situation not sure if it will solve ur problem as we both have different setups and vehicles</TD></TR></TABLE>

...normal operating voltage for the car being on is around 14.3 volts. Not 12.

12 is when the car is off and has been off for a while.

More voltage isn't nessacarily good. Do you know how electricity works?
Old 04-09-2008, 11:30 AM

Default Re: (B serious)

normally your battery will read 13.8 if its in proper working condition, and all the water in each cell is full. thats one of the most commonly overlooked problems with batteries and charging systems. people assume that they have a bad battery, or a bad alt. when the battery is low on water. as far as a voltage stablizer, they will help to an extent, they will help cut down on the voltage spikes, which will make your electronics last longer. but the only thing i have seen go out because of that is cd players and amplifiers. all of the electronics in your car will be able to handle the small voltage spikes. but you will see your alt lasting longer. worth the money, i say no. look around, ive seen some small ones to hook inline on your cd player that are only a few dollars to cut down on that problem.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:35 AM

Default Re: (Frickr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Frickr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">normally your battery will read 13.8 if its in proper working condition, and all the water in each cell is full. thats one of the most commonly overlooked problems with batteries and charging systems. people assume that they have a bad battery, or a bad alt. when the battery is low on water. as far as a voltage stablizer, they will help to an extent, they will help cut down on the voltage spikes, which will make your electronics last longer. but the only thing i have seen go out because of that is cd players and amplifiers. all of the electronics in your car will be able to handle the small voltage spikes. but you will see your alt lasting longer. worth the money, i say no. look around, ive seen some small ones to hook inline on your cd player that are only a few dollars to cut down on that problem.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Most modern batteries are maintainence free. Dont make me make more North Dakota jokes

They usually read around 14.X volts. When they go bad, you dispose of them for new ones.

I've had one of these voltage regulators. I got it for $20 off some guy. I'd rather have gone to the strip club or something.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Does Voltage Stabilizers Work? (B serious)

it started making a louder noise when i installed my hid's, the sound changes when i use one of the options.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:51 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmstockeg6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it started making a louder noise when i installed my hid's, the sound changes when i use one of the options.</TD></TR></TABLE>

what kind of noise...this is the internet. You have to be more specific. Give us as many details as possible. Write out your whole life story as related to this noise.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:02 PM

Default Re: Does Voltage Stabilizers Work? (B serious)

could be RF interference. ill sell you some lead to wrap it all up with?
Old 04-09-2008, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Re: (B serious)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Most modern batteries are maintainence free. </TD></TR></TABLE>
true but the level may still be low. They can be cracked open and filled.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">They usually read around 14.X volts. When they go bad, you dispose of them for new ones. </TD></TR></TABLE>
14.X when the car is running and not at idle.
13.5-13.8 at idle
11.8-13.2 not running
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've had one of these voltage regulators. I got it for $20 off some guy. I'd rather have gone to the strip club or something. </TD></TR></TABLE>
no comment.

buzzing noise after HID install is ground loop, check the grounding of the HID unit, you may have to ground the case of it.
as far as your loading the alternator with everything, check your ground wires... engine-chassis, chassis-battery, valve cover-chassis.
You may also have a weakened alternator.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:57 PM

Default Re: (Relic1)

pretty sure its his alternator trying to pump out more juice. whining.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:01 PM

***** Do Voltage Stabilizers Work? **********-sorry, pet peeve