Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

does ur honda do this???

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does ur honda do this???

hey when i start my car everytime it'll rev up to like 2000 rpm then down to 1000 then up to 1500 then down then up to 2000 again??? is it suppose to do that???
Old 02-23-2004, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: does ur honda do this??? (DELshow)

mine is a little finicky when it is cold.. but it shouldnt be that bad.. check your sensor..
Old 02-23-2004, 07:46 PM

Mine does that all the time, because my tps (throttle position sensor) is out.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wut happens when the car is warm? is everything ok?
Old 02-23-2004, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: does ur honda do this??? (krazn)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by krazn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wut happens when the car is warm? is everything ok? </TD></TR></TABLE>

yea i'm wondering the same thing...if it just does it when you are doing a cold startup it shouldn't be too bad.
Old 02-23-2004, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: does ur honda do this??? (SOHC_MShue)

It's probably your thermostat. My buddies integra did that same **** so we replaced the thermostat. fixed.....

peace
Old 02-23-2004, 08:15 PM

Default Re: does ur honda do this??? (mr0lg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mr0lg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's probably your thermostat. My buddies integra did that same **** so we replaced the thermostat. fixed.....

peace</TD></TR></TABLE>

how could the thermostat have an effect on idle speed? just wondering.
Old 02-23-2004, 08:21 PM

Default Re: does ur honda do this??? (WangChung)

probably your sensor.
Old 02-23-2004, 08:22 PM
In The Garage

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mr0lg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's probably your thermostat. My buddies integra did that same **** so we replaced the thermostat. fixed.....

peace</TD></TR></TABLE>
no, it's probably not the thermostat. not sure how the hell changing the thermostat fixed the problem, unless he had an air pocket in the cooling system that was in the IACV, not that that would even cause that irratic of an idle, but it's been heard of.

it's most likely a vaccuum leak. most of the time people pass the irratic idle off as a TPS malfunction or something of the like )sometimes O2 sensor), when indeed the intake manifold gasket is in need of replacement.

Try checking all vaccuum hoses for leaks, and try replacing the intake manifold gasket. I normally use the silver metal mesh style gaskets found at autozone made by felpro. sounds redneck, but they are great. they seal like a ****

good luck
edit-

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by qwik2nec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">probably your sensor. </TD></TR></TABLE>

ahh, yes. or the sensor
Old 02-23-2004, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

peace</TD></TR></TABLE>

word, my hatch would over heat like a beyotch, and the idle would be anywhere from 1k to 2k revving up and down at stop lights, real consistant. starts from 1k slowly ascends to 2k and then drops again like i let go of the gas.
Old 02-23-2004, 08:26 PM
In The Garage

i hope you guys realize that a thermostat is nothing more than a wax plug that opens up at a certain temperature. a bad thermostat wouldn't cause an irratic idle, especially at cold startup
Old 02-23-2004, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ShadyEH2)

Check coolant level, make sure there are no bubbles. Also check the iacv.
Old 02-23-2004, 08:36 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ShadyEH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i hope you guys realize that a thermostat is nothing more than a wax plug that opens up at a certain temperature. a bad thermostat wouldn't cause an irratic idle, especially at cold startup</TD></TR></TABLE>

they obviously dont, and i dont see how a bad thermostat could cause any idle problems.
Old 02-23-2004, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: does ur honda do this??? (WangChung)

im sorry, what im saying is, this guy has the same problem as my friend. they're cheap and east to replace. its just a suggestion, to try and fix ur problem...
Old 02-23-2004, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

IACV...clean it w/ carb/tb cleaner really well and it should solve the problem
Old 02-23-2004, 08:43 PM
In The Garage

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mr0lg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The thermostat would only effect the car's idle during warm up. and thats what this guys problem is. </TD></TR></TABLE>
that is an extremely, extremely wrong statement. the only way that a bad thermostat couyld ever cause an idle problem is when the engine is HOT, and the thermostat is stuck closed. the engine might reach such a high operating temperature that it might just start running horrible. that is the only way.

in speaking of a cold, just started engine, the problem MOST LIKELY lies in an intake manifold problem, whether it is cracked (and closes up at operating temp) or a leaky intake manifold gasket.

the only way that your friend fixed a cold start irratic idle by replacing the thermostat was if he fixed an underlying problem with an air pocket.

please refrain from posting false info

edit- you changed your post. i understand that you are trying to help, but the main causes of an irratic idleare as follows:

1. vaccuum leak. whether on the IM or a line, something's leaking
2. IACV (Idle Air Control Valve) problem. posibly a bad valve, or a bad double-O ring on it, causing a vaccuum leak (happens a lot)
3. O2 sensor problem. do you have any CELs (Check Engine Lights)?
4. TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). Check with a voltmeter from 1-5 volts
5. MAP sensor. probably not the culprit, but it could be going out, or be leaking vaccuum at it's base.
6. Air pocket in the cooling system. Not very likely, but has happened before.

good luck. if you check all of these things, you will most likely find the culprit.

-Shawn
Old 02-23-2004, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: does ur honda do this??? (ShadyEH2)

now im just curious, what happens if the thermostat is stuck open? does the engine react any different during warm up?

thanks for correcting me...

peace
Old 02-23-2004, 09:02 PM
In The Garage

the engine takes FOREVER to warm up when the thermostat is stuck open. a friend of mine's 92 si w/ ls swap took like 20 minutes to reach operating temp sitting still idling, and if he was driving, he had no heat whatsoever. I diagnosed a stuck open thermostat, and removed the thermostat housing. what i found was priceless.
there was a 1/4" diameter, 1.5" long stick of wood stuck in the thermostat, holding it open.
we threw in a new honda thermostat, and it's been wonderful ever since. he's 92bluesi on here.
funny ****.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ShadyEH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i hope you guys realize that a thermostat is nothing more than a wax plug that opens up at a certain temperature. a bad thermostat wouldn't cause an irratic idle, especially at cold startup</TD></TR></TABLE>

stop posting mis-information.

Case in point: My car would overheat, and then my idle would fluctuate from 1k to 2k at a consistant rate. i changed my thermostat, and it stopped.

i know exactly what a thermostat is. and now that im done defending my e-pride against you e-hooligans.

Good day.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:06 PM
In The Garage

Default Re: (JUN EK9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JUN EK9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

stop posting mis-information.

Case in point: My car would overheat, and then my idle would fluctuate from 1k to 2k at a consistant rate. i changed my thermostat, and it stopped.

i know exactly what a thermostat is. and now that im done defending my e-pride against you e-hooligans.

Good day.</TD></TR></TABLE>
LOL!!!!11one!!

let me quote myself-
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ShadyEH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the only way that a bad thermostat couyld ever cause an idle problem is when the engine is HOT, and the thermostat is stuck closed. the engine might reach such a high operating temperature that it might just start running horrible. that is the only way. </TD></TR></TABLE>

gees..... so quick to talk ****........

so, look man, i didn't post misinformation, but infact said exactly what you did before you posted. e-thug REPRESENT yO!!!!
jk man, not tryin to be an *******

Modified by ShadyEH2 at 12:27 AM 2/24/2004
Old 02-23-2004, 09:14 PM

have you changed your air filter lately? If not might want to do that, sometimes they give you a strange idle... if so then yeah cheack the IACV and vacum leaks
Old 02-23-2004, 09:15 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

You guys are forgetting one CRUCIAL component

<FONT SIZE="6">FAST IDLE THROTTLE VALVE</FONT>

Your idle is controlled by two valves. At cold startup, the fast idle throttle valve controls the idle. When the engine warms to normal operating temp, the IACV (idle air control valve) takes over. My car had an erratic cold start idle...I replaced the fast idle throttle valve and the problem was fixed.

#13 in the pic above
Old 02-23-2004, 09:27 PM
mike93eh

just clean that valve out, i did that on my 89 accord. or just pay the $50.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:30 PM

mines does it all the time.. check iacv, coolant is fine, fast idle screw.. all my motors did this.. i even tried a different tps.. although it did get a little better when i screwed with the fast idle valve..

beats me.. not enough to spend money cause it is fine when warm.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:32 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: (b-powa)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b-powa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">although it did get a little better when i screwed with the fast idle valve</TD></TR></TABLE>

JUST REPLACE IT!!!

Quick Reply: does ur honda do this???