Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Does anybody remember ,

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 09:14 AM
3rd g3aR vTak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anybody remember ,

If I remember correctly , back in the day when all this motor swapping madness first started . . . . . . you could always use OEM Honda parts for the swap . There was no Hasport or anything like that . Who remembers those days ? And what kind of compatibilty do you know of ? IE: '90-'93 Integra axles for a B16 in a EF .
Old 10-22-2005, 09:22 AM
3rd g3aR vTak

Default Re: Does anybody remember , (omega02379)

TTT ?
Old 10-22-2005, 09:24 AM
HT Order of Merit

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont understand exacly what your asking?

Old 10-22-2005, 09:33 AM
3rd g3aR vTak

Default Re: Does anybody remember , (JDM_Ej)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_Ej &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I dont understand exacly what your asking?

</TD></TR></TABLE>The compatibility of OEM Honda parts . Instead of buying stuff from Hasport or Raxles or any swap company like that , all swaps back in the day were done with compatible parts from other cars in Honda's line up . Does anybody remember any compatibilities like that . Since this market has been flooded with "bolt in" swap parts . I just thought this would be fun on a rainy afternoon . (since I can't work on my EG)
Old 10-22-2005, 09:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bofore companies like hasport and such came around, alot of todays swaps weren't possible.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:38 AM
3rd g3aR vTak

Default Re: Does anybody remember , (coquitlamEG)

Mostly just the K series into the older ones . Or the H series into Civic's . But everything else was game .
Old 10-22-2005, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you use the stock mounts, shafts etc that came out of the donor car...is that what you're asking? Most of those JDM B16 swaps come out of the exact same car...so, everything fits.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:56 AM
3rd g3aR vTak

Default Re: Does anybody remember , (GSRconvert)

Yes , but if you only end up with the motor and tranny , what compatibility is there in the states ? Just was trying to see if anybody remembers those days . By the way , we have the same amount of posts and the same avatar . I'm bored , I noticed . Shoot me . Well , this isn't a fun as I thought it would be . Back to ****.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

how far "back in the day" do you mean?
when i did my first EF/B16 about seven years ago,mount kits were available.the B16s never have bolted into the US cars.it's either a mount kit,or move and reweld the chassis mounts.i have no clue exactly how long the mount kits have been available,but it's been a while.
i still use DA axles for EF/B swaps.plenty of other people do too.the main thing the aftermarket companies offer is axles that can handle more HP.
i still use OEM parts whenever possible,as they're much cheaper to find used than new aftermarket.BUT,many swaps require at least some kind of aftermarket parts.
chris
Old 10-22-2005, 11:37 AM

B series would fit into all integras and civics using a combination of stock chassis mounts and donor car mounts.
Ive done a few b series swaps into civics and i have never used a aftermarket mount kit.
and the stock b series axles fit into all civics and integras.
well eg and ek civic
and 94 up integras.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:38 AM

Default Re: Does anybody remember , (TeamNextGenChris)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TeamNextGenChris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how far "back in the day" do you mean?
when i did my first EF/B16 about seven years ago,mount kits were available.the B16s never have bolted into the US cars.it's either a mount kit,or move and reweld the chassis mounts.i have no clue exactly how long the mount kits have been available,but it's been a while.
i still use DA axles for EF/B swaps.plenty of other people do too.the main thing the aftermarket companies offer is axles that can handle more HP.
i still use OEM parts whenever possible,as they're much cheaper to find used than new aftermarket.BUT,many swaps require at least some kind of aftermarket parts.
chris</TD></TR></TABLE>
Wrong
Old 10-22-2005, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Does anybody remember , (wtf mate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wtf mate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Wrong</TD></TR></TABLE>
what OEM mounts do you use to put a B-series engine in an EF?
Chris
Old 10-22-2005, 11:48 AM
3rd g3aR vTak

Back in the day means about 10-15 years ago . Before 18's on a Civic , before coilovers , before JDM . In the beginning . Finally some people realize what I mean. I used to remember all this stuff , but I forgot most of it due to the fact it's all bolt in now . And I believe '90-93 Integra mounts will mount a B16 into an EF.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TeamNextGenChris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
what OEM mounts do you use to put a B-series engine in an EF?
Chris</TD></TR></TABLE>

or the oem sir mounts
Old 10-22-2005, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by omega02379 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Back in the day means about 10-15 years ago . Before 18's on a Civic , before coilovers , before JDM . In the beginning . Finally some people realize what I mean. I used to remember all this stuff , but I forgot most of it due to the fact it's all bolt in now . And I believe '90-93 Integra mounts will mount a B16 into an EF.</TD></TR></TABLE>
no offense,but 15 years ago,you and me both were about 11 years old.not to mention at that point the Honda scene was very much underground,and for the most part didn't exist at all across most of the country-especially to the extreme of doing engine swaps.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by momstaxi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

or the oem sir mounts</TD></TR></TABLE>
it was my understanding that the US EF chassis mounts are in different locations that don't work properly with the JDM mounts(or any stock mounts for that matter)?i've yet to see a US EF with a B-series engine and stock mounts with unmoved chassis mounts.if that were the case,why do people pay good money for aftermarket mount kits?
maybe i'm wrong,but if you could use stock SiR or DA mounts,i'm pretty sure that 90% of the EF/B swaps you see would be doing it.
maybe i'm wrong(and if so,i apologize),but i want to see it.when i did my first B/EF swap,the engine came as a complete clip,minus body panels.we compared the stock JDM mounts,but it didn't appear they'd locate the engine properly.i can't say for sure though,as that's been a long time ago,and we didn't try very hard to make them work since we had a mount kit anyway.
Chris
Old 10-22-2005, 12:10 PM
3rd g3aR vTak

Default Re: Does anybody remember , (momstaxi)

I know the rear mount you had to move over to the right I believe to another set of bolt holes already in the front crossmember . And you had to pound the frame in by about a 1/4 inch on the alternator side . But I believe the rear crossmember had to be hammered down a little as well .
Old 10-22-2005, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by omega02379 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know the rear mount you had to move over to the right I believe to another set of bolt holes already in the front crossmember . And you had to pound the frame in by about a 1/4 inch on the alternator side . But I believe the rear crossmember had to be hammered down a little as well .</TD></TR></TABLE>
that sounds like everything required to use an aftermarket mount kit
Chris
Old 10-22-2005, 12:16 PM
3rd g3aR vTak

Yeah but I'm trying to talk about before the fast and furious days . Thats why I made this and everybody is missing the point .
Old 10-22-2005, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by omega02379 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah but I'm trying to talk about before the fast and furious days . Thats why I made this and everybody is missing the point .</TD></TR></TABLE>
i totally understand your point,but i think you're forgetting about how long some of these aftermarket companies have been around.some of these swaps don't require any aftermarket parts,and people have always used OEM parts.some of them require aftermarket parts,and people have always used aftermarket parts.
H-series swaps either require a mount kit or welding in new chassis mounts.no combination of OEM mounts drops right in.for the axles you can put together a set using OEM parts-many people still do this.before mount kits were available(or people made their own),people simply didn't have H22 swaps-it was impossible.
B swaps go right into EG/EK/DC chassis with stock mounts and axles-people still do it this way.
my point is that either it does or doesnt work.regardless of if it was 15 years ago,or now,either you can bolt it in using stock parts or you have to use aftermarket or make parts.the newest example is the K-series craze.they DON'T bolt in with OEM stuff-you HAVE to use aftermarket parts.
long before the F&F/JDM crap,there was a thriving aftermarket that made almost anything possible that wasn't possible with stock parts.the true OG guys who were making stuff fit(read:not bolting in using OEM parts)were very few and far between.

Chris
Old 10-22-2005, 12:36 PM
3rd g3aR vTak

I know all this already . H series never fit into anything except accords and preludes . I am talking about 10-15 years ago I do not believe hasport or any of these other companies were around . Or they were just starting . I was just asking about what other compatibilities other people remember from the hay day .
Old 10-22-2005, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My first swap on my CRX at the time, around 1994-95 was pretty difficult. There were only 3 or 4 few cars with a B16 swap in the area, and I was getting tired of racing the sohc motor. When I had the chance to see one of these swaps that I had heard about, I was not impressed. They had been hacked and welded (very poorly I might add) and I was suprised the motors didn't fall out.
We used a dummy B16 block (no pistons/crank/rods/etc) to figure out a way to mount it w/out cutting/welded. Using homemade spacers and washers, eventually found a way to make it bolt in.
The motor sat a bit high, and I had to trim the inside of my hood away so it wouldn't touch the valve cover. Not the prettiest, but it worked, and the bay wasn't hacked up like the others. As long as it won on the street, the looks weren't that important in those days. It ran great for years of constant street racing abuse and daily driven, before I pulled it out to stroke it.

Here's a crappy pic of the engine
(nice shadow )

and the car itself

Modified by rodrez. at 3:59 PM 10/22/2005
Old 10-22-2005, 12:42 PM
3rd g3aR vTak

Default Re: Does anybody remember , (rodrez.)

NOW THIS IS THE REPLY I'M LOOKING FOR !
Old 10-22-2005, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by omega02379 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know all this already . H series never fit into anything except accords and preludes . I am talking about 10-15 years ago I do not believe hasport or any of these other companies were around . Or they were just starting . I was just asking about what other compatibilities other people remember from the hay day .</TD></TR></TABLE>
that's my whole point.anything that doesn't fit now,didn't fit then either.
if you wanted ANY engine in your car that didn't bolt directly in,you had to remove the chassis mounts and reweld them to correctly align with the engine's mounts.
there were not and are not any magic combinations of mounts that allow certain engine/chassis combinations.either the engine bolts in,or it requires mods/aftermarket parts,period.

you're asking about what other compatabilities people remember from back then?15ish years ago there was no H22,the B-series VTEC engines were brand new in Japan,the B-series non-VTEC engines in America were brand new,the EG Civic was just about to come out.so,about the best thing you could do would be either a B-series into a US 88-91 Civic,with custom chassis mounts,or if you could afford to buy a brand new EG Civic and rip out the engine to put in a B-series engine.maybe an EA with a ZC.at that time there really was no scene.those cars were still either brand new,or only a couple years old.the swap possibilites were very limited.the knowledge that it could even be done,and how to do it was EXTREMELY rare,and only a handfull of people even gave a damn about it anyway.
Chris
Old 10-22-2005, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Iv put a B18c4 into my eg hatch with 100% haonda parts
Old 10-22-2005, 12:55 PM
3rd g3aR vTak

I distinctly remember getting into imports because of an article in a super street or sport compact car , were they were putting a B16 into a EF . And this was in my first apartment , when I first met my girl , and magazines were the only luxury I could afford . I remember them using mounts and axles from various makes and models . So in that time frame it was 7-10 years ago . So I pushed it up to 15 without thinking . But I know it's possible , and I know its been done . I got into Hondas because of they're compatibility .

Quick Reply: Does anybody remember ,