Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

do it myself or a shop?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default do it myself or a shop?

whats going on everybody, well i ordered a complete front end clip to put in my 93 eg (auto)dx.
it's complete front end, everything i need for the swap.

just dont know whether i sould save some money and do it myself or pay a shop.

please give some input.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: do it myself or a shop? (philosofy1)

Depends on how mechanically inclined you are. On a scale from 1-10 this would be a 3 or so in my opinion.

I put a full body kit on my car (I know, I'm a ricer). It wasn't hard, just had to line things up, drill holes, and then screw it on.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: do it myself or a shop? (nota-eg)

pretty mechanically inclined, i once owned a kia, blew the motor, and swapped in a new one, but, i wasnt dealin with vtec. also my eg is currently auto. how easy will it be to swap wires n harnesses?
Old 07-02-2005, 12:25 PM

You mean front end clip like you bought a lip that needs to be screwed onto your bumper, or you bought a motor?
Old 07-02-2005, 12:43 PM

i think he bought the whole front end like motor and everything from the doors forward. possibly a jdm front clip.
Old 07-02-2005, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: do it myself or a shop? (e jay one)

man... just read guys.. a front clip is a complete front end with motor...

if u know what you are doing then i say go for it... if your car is auto now and the clip was from a manual car you are going to need more... ie the pedal assembly...

if you are swaping the body panels that would be easy.. i think the most trouble u will have will come from removing and droping the engine unless u have a hoist...

if u know what u are doing.. GO FOR IT... if not.. then pay to get it done right or have some friends that know how to help u

GOOD LUCK
Old 07-02-2005, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it really shouldnt be too hard to swap...theres a how-to floatin around showin how to convert auto to manual...id search for it...do that and theres another how-to on how to do a bseries swap into a 5th gen civic...follow directions and you should be fine...good luck with ur stuff...id personally do it myself so i could learn a couple things
Old 07-02-2005, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes i bought a whole front clip, as in engine, tranny, dashboard, pedals, everything!

thanks for the advice, i've been thinking about doing it at home, just alittle nervous.
Old 07-02-2005, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its a pretty simple and straightforward swap... you shouldnt have much trouble doing it on your own... just make sure you have plenty of time set aside to do it
Old 07-02-2005, 05:18 PM

I say just try it and do it yourself, if it doesn't work out, get some friends to help. Then if that still doesn't work, try a shop.
Old 07-02-2005, 05:21 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: do it myself or a shop? (adoboy0)

since your also converting it to manual, and it sounds like you do not have too much info on this type of stuff then i would try to find somebody local threw local forums that can swap everything for you, for a shop to do it they will charge you atleast a couple grand
Old 07-02-2005, 05:26 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nota-eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Depends on how mechanically inclined you are. On a scale from 1-10 this would be a 3 or so in my opinion.

I put a full body kit on my car (I know, I'm a ricer). It wasn't hard, just had to line things up, drill holes, and then screw it on.</TD></TR></TABLE>

really??? swapping over a motor is a 3 in your book? Back to the question, I would def attempt the DIY given if you have the time and patience for this car. Id also look into getting help from others on the subject matter of converting auto-manual and the entire swap..good learning experience as well. Good luck on everything
Old 07-03-2005, 06:43 AM

Default Re: do it myself or a shop? (Deluzional)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Deluzional &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">really??? swapping over a motor is a 3 in your book? Back to the question, I would def attempt the DIY given if you have the time and patience for this car. Id also look into getting help from others on the subject matter of converting auto-manual and the entire swap..good learning experience as well. Good luck on everything </TD></TR></TABLE>

I was confused peckerhead. I thought he meant a lip. Motorswap in my book is a 13.
Old 07-03-2005, 07:42 AM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

Default Re: do it myself or a shop? (EeeJayEight)

I've heard that this can be a real night mare if you don't know what you're doing. I suggest having friends help you and TAKE YOUR TIME.
Old 07-03-2005, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: do it myself or a shop? (JDM-EJ1)

front clip is better left to pros because u can make the car with it or break it permanently
Old 07-03-2005, 04:38 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: do it myself or a shop? (clint g)

this is a hobby, if you want other people to do your hobby for you.. well your a poser. To get parts just to say you have them is so 1998
Old 07-03-2005, 11:33 PM

Default Re: do it myself or a shop? (neutron91)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by neutron91 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its a pretty simple and straightforward swap... you shouldnt have much trouble doing it on your own... just make sure you have plenty of time set aside to do it </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 07-04-2005, 12:46 AM
dh
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: do it myself or a shop? (distortedfuture)

Hmmm my take on it is:
If you have to ask this question...
Then you should take it to a shop.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:57 AM
Multi-paradigm

Default Re: do it myself or a shop? (Master Shake)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Master Shake &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hmmm my take on it is:
If you have to ask this question...
Then you should take it to a shop.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's generally good advice...but I wouldn't say that necessarily in this situation. He has said he's pretty mechanically inclined, and no one knows his level of knowledge better than he does.

I'm thinking he was already leaning toward a DIY in the first place but was just looking for some reassurance from people here.

And as for my opinion, I would say go for it. It'll be a very valuable learning experience. Since it's your first time doing this, it'll probably be hard and you'll probably run into stupid problems. But I'm guessing you can pull it off in the end. And you'll be that much more proud you didn't sit back and watch while someone else hacked up your car.

My vote = DIY
(it is, after all, just a Honda)
Old 07-04-2005, 01:02 AM

Default Re: do it myself or a shop? (Screwtape:)

buy labels Lots of labels, and make sure to put clear tape over the labels so they dont get smudged, i cant stress how much easier it is when everything is labeled. buy ziploc bags and every part that u take out put the nuts and bolts in there and label the bag and tape it on the part that u took em out of. Label is key, labeling can save ur life.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:26 AM

Default Re: do it myself or a shop? (Mr. Samurai)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nota-eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Motorswap in my book is a 13.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Motor swaps are not that hard, just label everything properly before you take the old motor out and you're like 50% done right then and there if its just a swap. If you can build a little plastic model, then a motor swap shouldn't be a 13 out of 10 IMHO .
Old 07-04-2005, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: do it myself or a shop? (menkio)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by menkio &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this is a hobby, if you want other people to do your hobby for you.. well your a poser. To get parts just to say you have them is so 1998</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's not very good advice, we're not talking about collecting ******* stamps here,lol....While most swaps into an OBD1 hatch aren't too hard, doing your first one including a manual to auto conversion may be a daunting task. You may be able, I can in an afternoon...but that doesn't mean he should be made to feel bad if he enlists the help of a professional. Often times it is really a matter of paying someone 500 bucks because you don't have the cash for the tool investment, maybe there is no room in your apartment for an engine hoist. Yadda yadda.

Do-able on a long enough timeline by any novice with the right tools...sure. BUT...and this is a big one....if he has to pony up and take it to a shop part way through, everyone knows that a mid project box job where the shop didn't start the work or have any idea WTF you have done...where half a billion missing bolts are,etc....will cost more than the swap in the first place. It's not an expensive swap, but it depends on how long the car is able to be down.

If he has a full front clip then all of the hardware,pedals, etc should still be there for the manual/auto conversion. Good luck whatever you do.
Old 07-04-2005, 08:38 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: do it myself or a shop? (moto1320)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by moto1320 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That's not very good advice, we're not talking about collecting ******* stamps here,lol....While most swaps into an OBD1 hatch aren't too hard, doing your first one including a manual to auto conversion may be a daunting task. You may be able, I can in an afternoon...but that doesn't mean he should be made to feel bad if he enlists the help of a professional. Often times it is really a matter of paying someone 500 bucks because you don't have the cash for the tool investment, maybe there is no room in your apartment for an engine hoist. Yadda yadda.

Do-able on a long enough timeline by any novice with the right tools...sure. BUT...and this is a big one....if he has to pony up and take it to a shop part way through, everyone knows that a mid project box job where the shop didn't start the work or have any idea WTF you have done...where half a billion missing bolts are,etc....will cost more than the swap in the first place. It's not an expensive swap, but it depends on how long the car is able to be down.

If he has a full front clip then all of the hardware,pedals, etc should still be there for the manual/auto conversion. Good luck whatever you do. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Who the **** are you and where the **** have you been? Goddamn I love it when somebody with under 300 posts comes in here knowing exactly what they're talking about and conveys it in such crisp English.

Welcome home, bro .
Old 07-04-2005, 08:42 AM

Default Re: do it myself or a shop? (eXcelonTypeR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eXcelonTypeR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Motor swaps are not that hard, just label everything properly before you take the old motor out and you're like 50% done right then and there if its just a swap. If you can build a little plastic model, then a motor swap shouldn't be a 13 out of 10 IMHO . </TD></TR></TABLE>

But models come with directions. I'm very mechanically inclined and I love to take stuff apart and put stuff together. But I'm scared shitless to take the head off my motor. Anything internal that has to be done to the motor I take it to a shop.
Old 07-04-2005, 08:46 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nota-eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">But models come with directions. I'm very mechanically inclined and I love to take stuff apart and put stuff together. But I'm scared shitless to take the head off my motor. Anything internal that has to be done to the motor I take it to a shop.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Cars come with directions too. In our case, it's called a Helms Manual, and it contains all the information you'll ever need to put your engine together from nuts and bolts.

Internal work is about an 8 in my book simply because of the caution and precision that is required of you when you do it. Engine swaps are about a 5 or 6 depending on the chassis. Flaming noobs is a 1.5.

Quick Reply: do it myself or a shop?