Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Do I need to replace the tensior when replacing my timing belt?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need to replace the tensior when replacing my timing belt?

Do I need to replace the belt tensior when replacing my timing belt?

thanks,

Oh, and by the way, do i really need to replace my waterpump???

edit: car's at 94000 KM right now.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:02 PM

Default Re: Do I need to replace the tensior when replacing my timing belt? (kai-chun)

dont have to but might aswell seening you have easy access to it. remember better safe than sorry
Old 09-05-2006, 12:05 PM
HNP

Default Re: Do I need to replace the tensior when replacing my timing belt? (EGwhat!!!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EGwhat!!! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dont have to but might aswell seening you have easy access to it. remember better safe than sorry</TD></TR></TABLE>

yup he is right...
Old 09-05-2006, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Do I need to replace the tensior when replacing my timing belt? (HNP)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kai-chun &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do I need to replace the belt tensior when replacing my timing belt?

thanks,

Oh, and by the way, do i really need to replace my waterpump???

edit: car's at 94000 KM right now.</TD></TR></TABLE>
As already posted the water pump should be done at the same time I like to change the tensioner when I do a timing belt. Its only a few bucks an if you have never done a timing belt before it is not a lot of fun. I dread the thought of doing all that work just to have a little thing like that cause me to have rip it all apart before it is ready for another timing belt
Old 09-05-2006, 12:37 PM

Default Re: Do I need to replace the tensior when replacing my timing belt? (instructor74)

hm, gotcha. Thanks for the advise, guys.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Do I need to replace the tensior when replacing my timing belt? (kai-chun)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kai-chun &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hm, gotcha. Thanks for the advise, guys.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Here is why.

While you have the engine torn down to do the timing belt, on a motor with that many miles, would it not be wise to replace maintenance components anyways? Water pump, tnesioners, and little things will make a big difference when you don't have to tear down the whole motor just to do it all over again.

Do it while you are in there, and save time and money.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Do I need to replace the tensior when replacing my timing belt? (.Red.EM2)

The only instance where I would not is what I just did this weekend, when I got my car I also got every service record from 1998-2005 with Mileage recorded etc. Aparently they had the timing belt done 105k ago but for some reason not the Water Pump or Tensioner. I found another reciept that had the tensioner/water pump done 15k ago but not the timing belt *sigh* so I just did the timing belt this weekend along with all the serpentine belts and valve cover gasket. that's the only situation i'd ever do it in.

This is how i'd usually do it, if I had no service records.
- Timing Belt
- Water Pump
- Tensioner
- Valve Cover Gasket
- AC Belt
- PS Belt
- Alt Belt

You have to take all the Serpentine belts off anyway, and after 80-100k why not just replace them, Same with the Valve Cover Gasket.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Do I need to replace the tensior when replacing my timing belt? (Froth)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Froth &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
This is how i'd usually do it, if I had no service records.
- Timing Belt
- Water Pump
- Tensioner
- Valve Cover Gasket
- AC Belt
- PS Belt
- Alt Belt

You have to take all the Serpentine belts off anyway, and after 80-100k why not just replace them, Same with the Valve Cover Gasket.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This much is true. Alot of you guys, from what I can tell, know what you are doing.