Old 06-11-2006, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do i need a new ecu if.......

i install these

(toda vtec elimantor camshafts)

http://www.passwordjdm.com/pro...D=380
Old 06-11-2006, 10:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can run Hondata, neptune, crome, uber ect on a chipped ECU.. you will just eliminate the High Cam Tables.. you will have to do all of your tuning on the low cam maps
Old 06-11-2006, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Why do you wanna get rid of vtec anyway?
Old 06-11-2006, 10:17 AM

Default Re: (GiMpInThaCiv)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GiMpInThaCiv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why do you wanna get rid of vtec anyway?</TD></TR></TABLE>

He is not elminating Vtec persay.. the Toda camshafts basically a VTEC all the time camshaft
Old 06-11-2006, 10:21 AM

whats your list of mods?
Old 06-11-2006, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDMlyfestyle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMlyfestyle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">He is not elminating Vtec persay.. the Toda camshafts basically a VTEC all the time camshaft</TD></TR></TABLE>
Is having VTEC all of the time better?

And does that mean that he has to make sure that his oil line is always at full? And to make sure he lets the engine warm up completely before getting on the throttle?
Old 06-11-2006, 11:42 AM

Default Re: (EH339)

do a search on Vtec Killer camshafts.. there supposed to be meant for straight Race. Basically it takes a the secondary high cam and puts it on the low cam so that you basically have Vtec all the time
Old 06-11-2006, 11:50 AM

Default Re: do i need a new ecu if....... (civicfast)

I can think of better ways to spend $1200 on camshafts that might be next to unstreetable.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:50 AM

Default Re: (JDMlyfestyle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMlyfestyle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do a search on Vtec Killer camshafts.. there supposed to be meant for straight Race. Basically it takes a the secondary high cam and puts it on the low cam so that you basically have Vtec all the time</TD></TR></TABLE>

it basically makes it an LS with big cams
Old 06-11-2006, 11:53 AM

i read they are basically for High hp engines where vtec is not needed or doesn't help at all
Old 06-11-2006, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicfast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i install these

(toda vtec elimantor camshafts)

http://www.passwordjdm.com/pro...D=380</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you have to ask then you probably dont need these
Old 06-11-2006, 11:59 AM

Default Re: do i need a new ecu if....... (CivicBlack)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicBlack &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i read they are basically for High hp engines where vtec is not needed or doesn't help at all</TD></TR></TABLE>

Correct. that is why they are saying that these are RACE only cams. so your expected to have a Fully built Motor. with High Compression and ITB's and Nice Header.

I would Highly Recommend that you put this on a built motor. Dont expect Dramatic results if ur throwing this into a Stock Bottom end
Old 06-11-2006, 12:19 PM

Default Re: do i need a new ecu if....... (JDMlyfestyle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMlyfestyle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I would Highly Recommend that you put this on a built motor. Dont expect Dramatic results if ur throwing this into a Stock Bottom end</TD></TR></TABLE>

Lets get something stra8 here. These cams are designed for FULLY BUILT DRAG RACE ONLY CAR!! You'll have one fukk up time idle'n. So, before you noob out there decide to put these cam on thinking you'll be hit'n Vtec all day long. Think again.

JDMlyfestyle said it in a nuttshell. but he forgot to mention the fact about putting these cam in STOCK motor.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:44 PM

Default Re: do i need a new ecu if....... (JDM B16A)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM B16A &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
JDMlyfestyle said it in a nuttshell. but he forgot to mention the fact about putting these cam in STOCK motor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMlyfestyle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Correct. that is why they are saying that these are RACE only cams. so your expected to have a Fully built Motor. with High Compression and ITB's and Nice Header.

I would Highly Recommend that you put this on a built motor. Dont expect Dramatic results if ur throwing this into a Stock Bottom end</TD></TR></TABLE>

I thought JDMlyfestyle pretty much covered that with his entire post.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:44 PM

Default Re: do i need a new ecu if....... (CivicBlack)

nah haha not for my dd lmao for the crx shell, i want to run a chipped p28, standalone is wayy too expensive we are building a straight up tow there and tow back kinda car, stop callin me a ricer cuh i dont drive my car and run it , i just run it and tow it, dudes i idle like for 1 hour a year at most haha

nah stand alone is not in out budget because we do not have any sponsorships, infact we actually fiberglassed the 1 pieace front end out selves, and hinged it vette style our selves had a freidn to the cage, fuel system, and start button cuh its stated in the rules

ripped out the interior etc, and now i have a b16 block at the house awaiting to be put back togehter at the shop

"some race shop"
located in murrieta, wanna sponsor us? haha nah look us up we buy sell used/new parts, do installs and tuning for ya also
Old 06-11-2006, 04:45 PM

Default Re: do i need a new ecu if....... (JDM B16A)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM B16A &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Lets get something stra8 here. These cams are designed for FULLY BUILT DRAG RACE ONLY CAR!! You'll have one fukk up time idle'n. So, before you expletiveing noob *** decides to put these cams on thinking you'll be hit'n Vtec all day long. Think again....ricer.</TD></TR></TABLE>

expletive you

Modified by civicfast at 6:08 PM 6/11/2006
Old 06-11-2006, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ban this guy!
Old 06-11-2006, 05:09 PM

Default Re: do i need a new ecu if....... (jdm_bones)

ya we should ban him hes talking **** before he even has a purpose to prolly cuh 1 of those cams is wortth more than his car
Old 06-11-2006, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

However you split it, I didn't read half of the arguments that are going back and forth, but those cams are meant for full out drag cars with all the trimmings, like 10 second or &lt; cars...

With that out of the way you'll have to remove one of the tables (I'm not sure if it'll matter which, but I would remove the higher cam tables so it doesn't give u any **** if ur not at normal operating temp) and you can tune ur curve straight from there, but yeah, it will have to be tuned, and with a car like that ur probably running a turob, nitrous, standalone fuel managment system, etc., so I'd suggest dyno tuning, not wideband tuning or anything to that effect..
Old 06-11-2006, 07:12 PM

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicfast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ya we should ban him hes talking **** before he even has a purpose to prolly cuh 1 of those cams is wortth more than his car </TD></TR></TABLE>

You probably have no idea how Vtec work. So, I'll let you embarrass yourself.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">However you split it, I didn't read half of the arguments that are going back and forth, but those cams are meant for full out drag cars with all the trimmings, like 10 second or &lt; cars...

With that out of the way you'll have to remove one of the tables (I'm not sure if it'll matter which, but I would remove the higher cam tables so it doesn't give u any **** if ur not at normal operating temp) and you can tune ur curve straight from there, but yeah, it will have to be tuned, and with a car like that ur probably running a turob, nitrous, standalone fuel managment system, etc., so I'd suggest dyno tuning, not wideband tuning or anything to that effect..</TD></TR></TABLE>

dude you really need to quit trying to sound like you know what you are talking about.... you dont have a clue as to what half the things you just wrote are. high table, low table has nothing to do with temp, dyno tuning is wideband tuning. WTF....

anyhow, a better way to explain it isnt vtec all the time at all. vtec is just a term used for two seperate cam lobes. if theres not two differant cam lobes there is no vtec.... basically its a race thing, Bseries vtec heads outflow non vtecs tremendously, but the oil pressure fluctuation caused by the vtec system is bad for the race engine, and on the other hand, a track only car will never see the lower RPM range so there is no need for the low cam profile.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:53 AM

Default Re: (schardbody)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by schardbody &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">anyhow, a better way to explain it isnt vtec all the time at all. vtec is just a term used for two seperate cam lobes. if theres not two differant cam lobes there is no vtec.... basically its a race thing, Bseries vtec heads outflow non vtecs tremendously, but the oil pressure fluctuation caused by the vtec system is bad for the race engine, and on the other hand, a track only car will never see the lower RPM range so there is no need for the low cam profile. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Another reason for the Killer cams is to get rid of the extra weight from the rotating assembly and any harsh VTEC engagement points.

It's just a very aggressive cam (like the VTEC lobes, yo!) that doesn't go through a cam lobe change.

It doesn't matter if you your tuning in the high or low tables becase you can disable your coolant check, ect and set your "VTEC" engagement at 200rpms if you want to tune in the high cam portion of the maps. You could also tune the low tables and set the VTEC engagement point at 15000rpm so it won't engage, or just disable VTEC altogether.

Chipped P28 running Crome would be fine. It lets you adjust just about everything you would need to change as far as fuel and ignition timing.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well, kind of, if you tune in the high cam fuel and timing and set a crossover you will loose oil pressure just the same as having vtec, which isnt good. most people just disable vtec alltogether.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:03 AM

Default Re: (schardbody)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by schardbody &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well, kind of, if you tune in the high cam fuel and timing and set a crossover you will loose oil pressure just the same as having vtec, which isnt good. most people just disable vtec alltogether.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh, my mistake. I figured if you were running VTEC Killer cams you could take off the solinoid and lines just like a LS/VTEC setup.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nota-eg)

well, you can make a block off plate, or whatever, but disabling vtec w/ crome is so much simpler, theres no need to worry about the rest of the options really.

Quick Reply: do i need a new ecu if.......