Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Do I need a camber kit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need a camber kit?

I know this question has been brought up numerous times, but I still wasn't sure on what needs to be done. I took some pics of my car to show you guys how low it is. Let me know if i need a camber kit please.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-03-2006, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes. just get one. a camber kit is cheaper then having to replace tires ever 6 months
Old 06-03-2006, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sohcvtec1995)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sohcvtec1995 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes. just get one. a camber kit is cheaper then having to replace tires ever 6 months</TD></TR></TABLE>

take this mans advice its a good investment
Old 06-03-2006, 04:19 PM

Default Re: (delsoldrew)

maybe you should show some shots from the front and rear, i can't see **** from those angles, but the car looks pretty low, so i would imagin you would need to correct the camber and get an alignment, have you looked at your tires for uneven wear?
Old 06-03-2006, 04:29 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Post your the printout of your curent alignment specs and I can help you.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sohcvtec1995 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes. just get one. a camber kit is cheaper then having to replace tires ever 6 months</TD></TR></TABLE>
Having a camber adjustment kit doesn't guarantee even tire wear, nor does negative camber guarantee uneven tire wear.
Old 06-03-2006, 04:36 PM
Mr. Indecisive

Default Re: (Targa250R)

some negative camber is good.. mine is about as low as yours... yes i do have some camber wear, but i also like the way my car handles w/ my cheezy tien s techs..
im rockin kuhmo ecsta mx tires
Old 06-03-2006, 05:37 PM

Default Re: (EJ8VTEC)

See I just bought this car and I put new tires on the front. The old ones were eaten up, dude to the alignmnet being off. The thing confusing me is wether to get a camber kit or just get an alignment.

Ive also heard that lowering your car to a certian degree does not improve handling, and that it can damage your axles. I am currently riding on omni power full coil over damper set. should I consider raising the car up a little bit to cheat my way out of getting a camber kit?
Old 06-03-2006, 06:07 PM
Night Owl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Tealeg88)

that looks pretty low.. u can get uneven tire wear with that kind of camber.. better to spend $50 on a front camber kit then $200 plus every couple months for new tires
Old 06-03-2006, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tealeg88)

hah, i laugh at everyone.

1) you should lower the car more, i dont wanna see the tops of your tires! another inch should do lovely!

2) not true that you will go through tires every 6 months, the pic below is of my yoko es 100's after a year of use with MINIMUL burning out, and my car is slammed- can't see a single wire, if i hadn't just switched em i'd still probably got a couple months left before i start seeing a single wire

Old 06-03-2006, 06:24 PM
Night Owl

Default Re: (Tatakai)

yeah notice how the entire inside of that tire is worn to ****? you can get away with having a 1.5" drop and not having a camber kit if you can get a really good alignment, but anything over 2" will make your tires look like ^^
Old 06-03-2006, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (shutupnskate)

what's your point? still got/get good traction and i ran these tires on the same sides for A FULL YEAR before switching them. they're still plenty good. plus when you get a camber kit, you can't have your car lowered more than 2" unless you want some god-awful ultra-low profile tires that wont give you any traction anyway (because the sidewalls will be too stiff )
Old 06-04-2006, 05:36 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tatakai &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what's your point? still got/get good traction and i ran these tires on the same sides for A FULL YEAR before switching them. they're still plenty good. plus when you get a camber kit, you can't have your car lowered more than 2" unless you want some god-awful ultra-low profile tires that wont give you any traction anyway (because the sidewalls will be too stiff ) </TD></TR></TABLE>

are you serious, lower profile tires provide a harsher ride but improve handling, i.e. sidewall doesn't flex as much as a taller tire...........
Old 06-04-2006, 05:42 PM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

You don't 'need' a camber kit. However, the question is. Do you want to be replacing your tires every 6 months because of uneven wear?
Old 06-04-2006, 05:47 PM
be professional

Default Re: (JDM-EJ1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-EJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You don't 'need' a camber kit. However, the question is. Do you want to be replacing your tires every 6 months because of uneven wear?</TD></TR></TABLE>
&lt;sigh&gt;

I don't even know why I try anymore.
Old 06-04-2006, 05:48 PM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
&lt;sigh&gt;

I don't even know why I try anymore.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Let me use my situation for example. My car is lowered on my Ground Control coilovers about 3.5", my camber is still the way it's supposed to be with my OEM camber kit. My alignment is perfect, my car rides wonderfully.
Old 06-04-2006, 05:58 PM
Night Owl

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tatakai &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what's your point? still got/get good traction and i ran these tires on the same sides for A FULL YEAR before switching them. they're still plenty good. </TD></TR></TABLE>

my point is that avs es 100s are supposed to last for 15k+. those tires would have as much tread on the inside as the outside if you weren't slammed w/ neg. camber and would last for twice as long. good job wasting tires and bragging about it

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tatakai &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> plus when you get a camber kit, you can't have your car lowered more than 2" unless you want some god-awful ultra-low profile tires that wont give you any traction anyway (because the sidewalls will be too stiff ) </TD></TR></TABLE>

this made absolutely no sense.. my integra is slammed more than 2" w/ a skunk 2 camber kit and 15" OEM wheels and I have no problems whatsoever w/ this setup. I learned my lesson after drving a slammed civic w/ no camber kit for about a year and going through 2 full sets of tires in that time.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tatakai &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what's your point? still got/get good traction and i ran these tires on the same sides for A FULL YEAR before switching them. they're still plenty good. plus when you get a camber kit, you can't have your car lowered more than 2" unless you want some god-awful ultra-low profile tires that wont give you any traction anyway (because the sidewalls will be too stiff ) </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm waiting to hear your logic defending your statement that low-pros handle badly and have no traction. Please, by all means, enlighten us all to why Ferraris and Corvettes and other cars w/ stock low profile tires "have no traction because the sidewalls are too stiff."
Old 06-04-2006, 06:00 PM
Night Owl

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-EJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Let me use my situation for example. My car is lowered on my Ground Control coilovers about 3.5", my camber is still the way it's supposed to be with my OEM camber kit. My alignment is perfect, my car rides wonderfully. </TD></TR></TABLE>

OEM camber kit? I thought on most Honda's toe is adjustable, whereas camber is not
Old 06-04-2006, 06:03 PM
be professional

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-EJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Let me use my situation for example. My car is lowered on my Ground Control coilovers about 3.5", my camber is still the way it's supposed to be with my OEM camber kit. My alignment is perfect, my car rides wonderfully. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Let me use my situation for example. My car is lowered on my Ground Control coilovers, my camber is at -2.5* in front and -1.5 in rear with no correction, and my tires wear evenly.

What the hell is an "OEM" camber kit for a double-wishbone Civic? And what does ride quality have to do with camber settings?
Old 06-04-2006, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry to thread jack but what size are those wheels?
Old 06-04-2006, 06:24 PM
be professional

Default Re: (vlc92189)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vlc92189 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sorry to thread jack but what size are those wheels?</TD></TR></TABLE>
15x6.5"
Old 06-04-2006, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

god. WTF is wrong with you people you FTL

get the f'ing camber kit its worth it twice over. holy moly
Old 06-04-2006, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (young noob)

first a picture wont tell you **** for camber. You must get something to measure it, I have this tool that i custom welded an axle nut onto this thing that came with the measuring tool. Anyway it tells you the awnser, but most likely you do because when lowering a car there is always a negative toe
Old 06-04-2006, 10:10 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Let me use my situation for example. My car is lowered on my Ground Control coilovers, my camber is at -2.5* in front and -1.5 in rear with no correction, and my tires wear evenly.

What the hell is an "OEM" camber kit for a double-wishbone Civic? And what does ride quality have to do with camber settings?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think by "OEM camber kit" he means "I'm an ignorant ricer who doesn't know the difference between a control arm and an adjustable ball-joint camber kit" so I'm going to call the OEM suspension arm a camber kit because it looks like what came in my Skunk2 camber kit box.

We should stop trying.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Archidictus)

i just wasted my time reading this... and iforgot what i read. so heres what im sayin

your pics dont give us anything. camber isnt shown that way... pics from the rear, pics from a rear 3/4 angle.

anything lowered increases camber. slightly neg camber is alright, and stock comes with neg camber anyways. heres a tip, get an alignment! theyll tell you the camber, toe, caster. and theyll tell you if its within oem specs.

toe hurts tire wear more than camber anyways. get a friggin alignment, and you should prolly get a camber kit first, put it on, THEN take it to get an alignment. set it to your specs, or oem specs.

regardless, if you still think its not worth it to get a camber kit (its like 130 for skunks right?) then just go get an alignment (50 bucks), and theyll do what they can with your setup
Old 06-04-2006, 11:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (aallbbeerrtttttt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by aallbbeerrtttttt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i dont know what you kids are bitching about...

i'd go get an alignment for toe only...

my ej1 was slammed on 14" steelies, tucking all four corners with no camber kit...

rode on it for almost a year and sold it...was my tire wear bad? yes...but it helps to know a friend that works in a shop wtih a tire machine, so i can flip my tires around and ride on them for even longer </TD></TR></TABLE>

anytime you change ****, it messes up everything. yes sure, go without it. you can go without plenty of things as well.

do you need a camber kit? no. but then again, yo udont really need all 4 lugs on a wheel either.

us "kids" are bitching because its the CORRECT way to lower a car. you dont really need a shift **** either. you can shift fine with just teh shifter. try it. does it work? yes. do you do it? no. dont bring up what you can get by with.

Quick Reply: Do I need a camber kit?