Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Do i need a camber kit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do i need a camber kit?

I bought my 93si hatch with eibach springs and tokico blues, And some Yokohama es100's for tires. I really can't tell how much it has been lowered other than the fact that the front tire is almost an inch below the fender with the car sitting on 15's. The car is riding very smooth but my front tires are almost wearing down to the steel lining on the inside. I've been told that my alignment maybe off, but when on a good road it I can take my hands off the wheel and have drive strait for a bit of time. I also feel that I don't get the traction I should. Anytime I apply the brakes in wet conditions I always feel one tire breaking lose before the other. Do these symptoms seem normal or is this the cause off poor alingment or the need of a camber kit?
Old 12-25-2005, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Do i need a camber kit? (Tealeg88)

yes!!!!!!!!!! do your tires and wallet a favor. Get a camber kit. lol
Old 12-25-2005, 01:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Do i need a camber kit? (sheBangZ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sheBangZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes!!!!!!!!!! do your tires and wallet a favor. Get a camber kit. lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

eh camber kits are good...but make sure its aligned..when you take it to the shop to have the alignment done tell them you want 0 toe.... toe kills tires way faster then camber...
Old 12-25-2005, 01:52 PM

Default Re: Do i need a camber kit? (dividedas1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dividedas1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

eh camber kits are good...but make sure its aligned..when you take it to the shop to have the alignment done tell them you want 0 toe.... toe kills tires way faster then camber... </TD></TR></TABLE>

What does 0 toe mean? I've never heard of that in my life lol.
Old 12-25-2005, 01:54 PM

Also If do need a camber kit, Can I just get it for the front and leave the back alone because it seems the tires wear fine on the back.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You do not need a camber kit. Go to the suspension forum and search. Have you seen the rear wheels in a 350z? They run like 3 degrees STOCK... they don't go through tires like you do. You have several measurements for alignment: camber, toe, and caster. Camber can be off (to a certain point also, don't go crazy on it either). but just zero out your toe and you will be fine. Not all shops will do this, so find one that will just zero out your toe, and you will be straight.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:24 PM

Default Re: Do i need a camber kit? (fast88std)

Ok so I did a little research and I was able to find a method to set the toe yourself. Here is the link for it and lemme know what you guys think of this method?

Would it be easier to get it done by a professional or do it yourself(I never worked with suspension or adjustments of that sort)?
Old 12-26-2005, 09:25 PM

damn I messed up the link button lemme try it again.

http://www.longacreracing.com/catalog/item.asp?id=152&catid=5
Old 12-26-2005, 09:26 PM

this is all I can do , just copy paste or something
Old 12-26-2005, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

toe in toe out, look at your feet and point it out or in, act as if it is your tires on the left and right foot, that is toe on your car. use should get new tires or rotate it because since you see metal from your car, it is not good and no traction at all. toe can be adujsted with the outer tie rods.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

u dont really need a camber kit. i ran mines slammed and dont have a camber kit bec my toes are perfect and still have tire tread and it almost been a year
Old 12-26-2005, 11:06 PM

i would suggest to get a camber kit,from what i heard adjusting it wont do anything because once you set it on the ground it will after time be back in the same spot. just rotate your back tires to your front
Old 12-27-2005, 09:15 AM

Default Re: Do i need a camber kit? (JdmB16Eg6)

So if some are suggesting to get camber kit, Should I just get it for the front than?
Keeping in mind that the back is not as low as the front, and the back also seems to wear fine.

Also what do you guys think of this link to buy kit to adjust the toe yourself?

http://www.longacreracing.com/...id=5
Old 12-27-2005, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tealeg88 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also what do you guys think of this link to buy kit to adjust the toe yourself?

http://www.longacreracing.com/...id=5 </TD></TR></TABLE>

I do my own alignments all the time with those plates, they work well. The problem is that if the alignment is off to begin with, you may end up with a thrust angle:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/...hid=4

This can be taken care of by 'stringing' up the car:

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=597192

I do a modified version of that, where I just string up one side of the car, taking into account the track difference of the two axles. Then I set the wheel on the other side of the car to 0 toe.

You don't need an camber kit. I'm running much lower than you, and have no uneven wear at all. The one thing to note is that the more camber you have, the more sensitive your tires will be to toe; so the lower you go the closer to 0 you have to be.

Old 12-27-2005, 01:57 PM

Default Re: Do i need a camber kit? (AutoXer)

If i go get my alignment done by some profesionals, how often would I need to do it. I've only talked to firestone and asked them about there lifetime alignment but they said they can't touch my car because the suspensions is not stock.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

springs wont have a bad camber affect since it is at a perfect drop that i think that doesnt require a camber kit, little camber wont effect overtime.

tomy_R
Old 12-27-2005, 11:29 PM

i just lowered my car and need a front end alignment big time. but um where is the cheapest place to get it done?
Old 12-28-2005, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tealeg88 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If i go get my alignment done by some profesionals, how often would I need to do it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You shouldn't have to do it regularly. If everything is torqued properly, it should only have to be done once. Of course, with road irregularities, potholes etc. it is possible that the bolts holding the compensator arm may come loose; so I'd check it every year or so.

I was pretty intimidated about doing the alignment myself when I bought my toe plates; but it turned out to be a fairly simple process. Just a little tedious, because you have to set, then measure, set, then measure.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by notasleeper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i just lowered my car and need a front end alignment big time. but um where is the cheapest place to get it done? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Front end alignments are pretty worthless; you could have a bad thrust angle, and your rear toe may still cause wear on your tires. Check the link I provided above to tire rack to read more about a 4 wheel alignment.