Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Do i have to take off my stock springs to put on Coilover sleeves(ebay)??

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do i have to take off my stock springs to put on Coilover sleeves(ebay)??

just wondering wat was the process.
cant find anything on the net about it.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Do i have to take off my stock springs to put on Coilover sleeves(ebay)?? (Omega Blaze)

Yes you have to use spring compressors and take the stock springs off. The coilover sleeves go in the place of the stock springs.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Do i have to take off my stock springs to put on Coilover sleeves(ebay)?? (iluvmy2000civicex)

What actually do the spring compressors do for the coilovers.
Stretch out the springs??
Old 08-04-2008, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Do i have to take off my stock springs to put on Coilover sleeves(ebay)?? (Omega Blaze)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Omega Blaze &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What actually do the spring compressors do for the coilovers.
Stretch out the springs??</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 08-04-2008, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Omega Blaze &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What actually do the spring compressors do for the coilovers.
Stretch out the springs??</TD></TR></TABLE>

OMFG OMFG OMFG...

Im from Albany too... What car do you drive???
Old 08-04-2008, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Do i have to take off my stock springs to put on Coilover sleeves(ebay)?? (Gunmetal_B20_Hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Gunmetal_B20_Hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

OMFG OMFG OMFG...

Im from Albany too... What car do you drive???</TD></TR></TABLE>

PLEASE MEET HIM, PLEASE HELP HIM..!!!! SOMEBODY PLEASE, ANYBODY..!!!!!!!
Old 08-04-2008, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Do i have to take off my stock springs to put on Coilover sleeves(ebay)?? (JDM_SOHC)

1. take shock/spring off
2. compress spring (as in make it shorter , compressed)
3. remove shock
4. install coil sleeve on shock
5. install new coil sleeve/shock
Old 08-04-2008, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Make sure you take the compressor off evenly. You can rent them from autozone. They come with like 2 c clip compressors. It is kinda dangerous we used to shoot the springs in suto shop.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Do i have to take off my stock springs to put on Coilover sleeves(ebay)?? (JDM_SOHC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_SOHC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

PLEASE MEET HIM, PLEASE HELP HIM..!!!! SOMEBODY PLEASE, ANYBODY..!!!!!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>Too bad 90% of the garbage around here is just rice...
Old 08-04-2008, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Do i have to take off my stock springs to put on Coilover sleeves(ebay)?? (Gunmetal_B20_Hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Crx Jimmy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
What actually do the spring compressors do for the coilovers.
Stretch out the springs?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

x2
Old 08-05-2008, 01:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Crx Jimmy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> </TD></TR></TABLE>
Cool!
95 Civic Dx
d15b7 usdm

Do you stay on the north?

Old 08-05-2008, 02:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Lol @ streching out the springs..

Anyways, all you gotta do is:
- Buy spring compressors
- Compress springs
- Unscrew the bolts on the top
- Remove springs
- Replace with ebay sleeves
- Screw back on the top
- Profit.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:50 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (4drkidd)

lol @ fools that use spring compressors for stock civic springs.

You dont need that. Even if you did use it, you dont really use it to compress the springs. You just put a tiny bit of tension on it to take the energy out of the sping when you open up the top nut. You dont need to crush the spring at all...you're just wasting time.

You can even just take off the front shock fork, move your feet, open up the top nut without taking the shock out of the car and let the shock fly at the floor. Or use a jack underneath it if you want everything to come out slowly.

Same process for the back. Take off the LCA to shock bolt, pull the shock out of the way of the LCA a bit, put a jack underneath it, and take off the top nut. Release the jack slowly.

MUCH faster than a spring compressor.

The spring doesn't have that much energy in it anyway. You can take the whole thing off on your garage floor without a spring compressor. I've done it about 1 million times. Point away from your face and genitals. Keep your hand on the top of the wrench, aim the top mount at the garage wall's base so everything doesn't fly where you can't find it. That's my process.

OP: Once you lower the car, make sure you or whoever else is working on it clocks the bushings. If someone is helping you and they dont know what it is, LOL at them for not knowing what it is.

Your car will most likely give you a LOT of issues trying to install these. I can pretty much guarantee you that your rear suspension will not come apart without cutting, drilling, and other forms of barbarism. I have a write up on it. Do a search involving my screen name and the subject "stuck bolts".

After you take all the trouble to take it apart, you'll probably realize that the car rides like junk. If you're using stock shocks, it will ride like more junk. But the money you saved on not buying name brand parts can be spent on chiropractor appointments.

Don't waste your time, dude. Buy something nice before you take all the trouble of lowering the car.

Modified by B serious at 10:56 AM 8/5/2008