Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

DMV sent smog paper!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DMV sent smog paper!

just got my smog paper in the mail today (smog due in july)..i'm going to drop my 99 GSR into my 92civic_si hatch b4 i smog..what would you guys think is a good idea? my friend was telling me to smog my car w/ my stock motor b4 swaping and then think about the smog in 2 years, but i wanna swap n hit up the ref w/ the swap n go legit and get it over with..anyone been to the ref? how r they like? strict?

my friend was telling me that u need EVERYTHING!! ac,power str,stock intake,etc.....well thanks for your help!!
Old 05-20-2004, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DMV sent smog paper! (92civic_si)

ref isn't strict at all. just don't go to fremont. go to alameda... do a search for 'ref' there is a huge thread on the cali ones.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:08 AM

Default Re: DMV sent smog paper! (b cruz)

which one did u went too? thanks
Old 05-20-2004, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you looked at the Ref thread, you'd know I went to alameda
Old 05-20-2004, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

dude, why dont you just smog it now and then get it reffed later. What happens if you swap the engine and try to ref it and dont pass? Guess what you gotta extend your registration... extension => $$$

But then again smogging it now and getting it ref later will probably cost money too so ur call.

I personally smog it now, swap it and then ref it and if I pass I pass, if not I'll worry about it later--Got 2 years for it...
Old 05-20-2004, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (B16Drag)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B16Drag &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I personally smog it now, swap it and then ref it and if I pass I pass, if not I'll worry about it later--Got 2 years for it...</TD></TR></TABLE>
i think this would be the better suggestion, but its up to you.
Old 05-20-2004, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why not just smog it rite now? then swap rite after? then u have 2 years to get ur car ready for the ref
Old 05-20-2004, 11:43 AM

Default Re: (B16Drag)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B16Drag &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Guess what you gotta extend your registration... extension =&gt; $$$

</TD></TR></TABLE>

when i got my 4 month extension i didnt have to pay a singe cent..

what you do is send your registration with the payment of course..and then dmv will send you a nice letter saying you havent passed smog yet...
pass smog your in the clear...

fail...you take the failed smog slip into dmv..and say you need an extension because you failed smog but you have already sent in the payment they give you a nice little number you hang on ur back window..pass smog before the extension runs out ur cool..if not repeat the process again..
Old 05-20-2004, 11:34 PM
F*CK THIEVES!

Default Re: (degooser)

just smog it.its only 40$
Old 05-20-2004, 11:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hasback_00)

smog it first less to worry about with the stock motor. what if you swap in your engine then its not running right or at all? and if its a jdm motor im sure you'll need some time to gather up all the emissions parts in order to get bar'd
Old 05-20-2004, 11:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92civic_si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my friend was telling me that u need EVERYTHING!! ac,power str,stock intake,etc.....well thanks for your help!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not true. You need the proper emissions equipment for that particular year, and of course pass by the numbers on the dyno. I ref'd 3 years ago with a GSR, ITR pistons, short ram intake, DC 4-1 (2.25 collector), Apexi N1 cat back, and VAFC (hidden of course). A/C and PS were disconnected, but still under the hood.
Old 05-21-2004, 11:58 AM

Default Re: DMV sent smog paper! (rodrez)

let me get this right..so u guys are telling me to smog then swap..after swap then go to the ref! but doesn't the ref smog you again? well i have a usdm gsr..this smog thing is scaring me so i don't know what to do first..i think i'm goanna swap it first then smog my car..if i don't pass then i'll swap it back to stock and go your way then i'll think about it in 2 yrs!!
Old 05-21-2004, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92civic_si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">let me get this right..so u guys are telling me to smog then swap..after swap then go to the ref! but doesn't the ref smog you again? well i have a usdm gsr..this smog thing is scaring me so i don't know what to do first..i think i'm goanna swap it first then smog my car..if i don't pass then i'll swap it back to stock and go your way then i'll think about it in 2 yrs!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

what everyone is trying to stress is, 'give yourself more time.' smog your stock motor now...then do your swap and not have to worry about having it bar'ed until you get all your smog equipment and everything else in between sorted out.

then again it is your car...good luck.
Old 05-21-2004, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DMV sent smog paper! (eg6si)

if you really wanna do all that work then go for it man
Old 05-21-2004, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DMV sent smog paper! (eg6si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg6si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

what everyone is trying to stress is, 'give yourself more time.' smog your stock motor now...then do your swap and not have to worry about having it bar'ed until you get all your smog equipment and everything else in between sorted out.

then again it is your car...good luck.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's not a bad idea. But for me personally, when I did mine, I went with the attitude of smog now, get my BAR sticker, then do mods, and when I get pulled over, show the officer the sticker, and be on my way. Worked well for me, as I was pulled over a few times for the N1 muffler, but the sticker was enough.
Old 05-21-2004, 08:38 PM

Default Re: DMV sent smog paper! (rodrez)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rodrez &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
That's not a bad idea. But for me personally, when I did mine, I went with the attitude of smog now, get my BAR sticker, then do mods, and when I get pulled over, show the officer the sticker, and be on my way. Worked well for me, as I was pulled over a few times for the N1 muffler, but the sticker was enough. </TD></TR></TABLE>

that's what i'm talking about!! but all of these 411's making me think twice! i'm goanna swap then smog..i'll keep you guys update!! hope it goes as planed.
Old 05-21-2004, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm surprised noone is mentioning the OBDII into an OBDI car problem. Get it smogged before you do your swap... You are going to have problems at the ref with an OBDII motor going into an OBDI car. You have to use the ecu and all emissions equiptment from the year car that your motor came out of. Thats why you don't see very many itr eg hybrids that are reffed. There are no OBDI itr's they are all obdII.
Old 05-22-2004, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fishnfst)

smog first then swap.. it'll definitely lowers the headache you might possibly encounter. at least if you smog it just like everybody is sayin you have time to prepare your car.
Old 05-22-2004, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fishnfst)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fishnfst &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm surprised noone is mentioning the OBDII into an OBDI car problem. Get it smogged before you do your swap... </TD></TR></TABLE> I was thinking the same,.

As he said you will have a hard time putting in a OBD-II engine into a OBD-I car. You will need all the wiring and correct ECU plus the Datalink connector so the ref can plug in the OBD-II scan tool to verify everything is par. This is alot of work in the electrical wiring side. But if you want to do it legit then I'd say do the swap (if your willing to invest in it) then take it to the bar to get ref'd then pay your registration, if then then smog it as is then put in the swap and slowly work your way to getting it legit.
Old 05-22-2004, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (BatuKing)

Your smog certificate is valid for 30 days.
Old 05-22-2004, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (degooser)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by degooser &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
sent in the payment they give you a nice little number you hang on ur back window....</TD></TR></TABLE>
finally know exactly what the hell that number i always see around is
Old 05-22-2004, 10:11 AM
OG triple OG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (mMmdoOonut)

dood , you know you dont HAVE to go to the ref right???

just put the motor in then smog it.
Old 05-24-2004, 08:58 AM

Default Re: (Hella_JDM)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hella_JDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dood , you know you dont HAVE to go to the ref right???

just put the motor in then smog it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

said what?! r u for reals?
Old 05-24-2004, 09:05 AM

Default Re: DMV sent smog paper! (b cruz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b cruz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you looked at the Ref thread, you'd know I went to alameda </TD></TR></TABLE>

i didn't like the dude at alameday
my friend failed a couple times there and he finally passed at redwood city or something
Old 05-24-2004, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (92civic_si)

don't listen to him... he knows nothing about B's... he is some 'd'orky nija or something..