Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

DIY short ram intake or CAI

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY short ram intake or CAI

Allright Im a cheap *** mother ****** when it comes to buying stuff for my honda. Well I wanted a short ram intake and didnt want to wait for ebay and the shipping ect... So I searched your local rice shops in town and found that a short ram would be 65-75.00 for a APC or Spectra one. Well If it was 25.00 I would have bought it but me being a cheap *** I dicided to make one.

First you will need to go to lowes and go to pluming section, Find a rubber 3" to 3" 90 degree elbow (9.00), and a 1' to 1 1/2' 3" PVC pipe (3.50). The bad part about the PVC pipe is they only sell it in 10' sections there so you might want to look around more. But then again it was only 3.50 for the 10' section.

Then went to walmart and found a "super race version" filter APC junk for 16.00.

So the tools you will need are a 8mm nut driver, 10mm socket, hack saw, and a drill with a 5/16 bit.

Heres the car before (nice and stock)

Heres the parts I bought

Pic of intake taken out, and resonator still in the car. But it was also taken out as well

Now you need to take off the stock elbow. 1 sensor and a breather pipe.

Now you are going to want to test fit and eyeball up what angle you need the intake elbow cut at

Heres a pic of the cut pipe with elbow and filter on

Now drill the 5/16 holes in the elbow near the intake for the breather and sensor. 5/16 is smaller than the parts are but then you will have a better fit and tighter seal

Now the intake installed and fit is checked after starting it clean out the **** from inside the tube to make sure nothing gets sucked up or fuckes up the engine

Now you are done and just need to make a bracket so the intake doesnt shake around. I had a l bracket in my garage that I just flattened out and bent the bottom edges to grab on to. Also I left the intake long enough to be able to buy another 3" 90 degree elbow to run down and have a cold air set up easily.

Heres mine painted since I dont like chrome unless its a big car or truck. I wanted white and black camo, sorry the pics are so dark but I didnt get done until late at night. I do have future plans when I get a new or rebuild my engine to either paint the valve cover or the whole block camo.

If there is any more question just let me know. Oh and this is my first DIY
Old 10-25-2004, 06:30 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: DIY short ram intake or CAI (cappa)

Good write up bud! How long did it take you to make?
Old 10-25-2004, 06:31 PM

that is the most ricehead thing ive ever seen. wait no a leaf blower as a turbo was this gets 2nd place. pay 100-150 bucks get the cold air (cause short doesnt do anything really) and do it the right way cause it looks 100 times better
Old 10-25-2004, 06:36 PM

Default Re: DIY short ram intake or CAI (litterbox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by litterbox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Good write up bud! How long did it take you to make?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Thanks, Like 25 min since the damn resonator is a bitch to take out with out taking off the fender. Then just paint time.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civictildeath &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that is the most ricehead thing ive ever seen. wait no a leaf blower as a turbo was this gets 2nd place. pay 100-150 bucks get the cold air (cause short doesnt do anything really) and do it the right way cause it looks 100 times better</TD></TR></TABLE>

Can you say suck my dick?? Oh wait its because you have my dick in your mouth. People just dont read its a DO IT YOURSELF.
Old 10-25-2004, 06:38 PM

i see about 20 bucks in parts if you cant spend another 80 to do it right you shouldnt touch a car
Old 10-25-2004, 06:39 PM

Default Re: DIY short ram intake or CAI (civictildeath)

and the resonator will come out much easier by taking the bumper and inner fender partially off than taking the fender off
Old 10-25-2004, 06:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civictildeath &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i see about 20 bucks in parts if you cant spend another 80 to do it right you shouldnt touch a car</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dude, why do you have to act like such an e-thug? If this guy wants to do a DIY on a short ram, then let him. Don't hate on his ****. Seriously, you need to chill out and let everyone do their own thing. Unless they are endangering others.
Old 10-25-2004, 06:41 PM

Default Re: DIY short ram intake or CAI (DOHC4life)

cuase people like him give honda drivers a bad name
Old 10-25-2004, 06:44 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DOHC4life &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Dude, why do you have to act like such an e-thug? If this guy wants to do a DIY on a short ram, then let him. Don't hate on his ****. Seriously, you need to chill out and let everyone do their own thing. Unless they are endangering others. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thank you. I figured why not make my own and there might be other people that would, so I decided to do a write up.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civictildeath &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
cuase people like him give honda drivers a bad name</TD></TR></TABLE>

No its jit *** kids like you with mommy and daddys money that give honda drivers bad names. Grow up little bitch **** boy
Old 10-25-2004, 06:44 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civictildeath &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cuase people like him give honda drivers a bad name</TD></TR></TABLE>

I wanna hear your reason for this. I don't see how a DIY gives every honda a bad name. Now if this guy was racing/speeding on highways, then sure I would understand. But I don't, so please enlighten us all.
Old 10-25-2004, 06:46 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civictildeath &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cuase people like him give honda drivers a bad name</TD></TR></TABLE>

how is he giving honda owners a bad name? he made an intake for 20 bucks, that probably works just as well as buying a short ram for $80 more...who wants to spend 80 bucks when you dont have to? and isnt the main point of fixin up a car doin **** yourself? you are just closed minded and need to shut the hell up

nice diy by the way
Old 10-25-2004, 06:47 PM

well hmmm lets see i work for a living mommy and daddy dont buy my **** i do myself. if you cant do it right you shouldnt do it at all
Old 10-25-2004, 06:49 PM

cause dohc that is exactly how ricers do ****
Old 10-25-2004, 06:49 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civictildeath &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well hmmm lets see i work for a living mommy and daddy dont buy my **** i do myself. if you cant do it right you shouldnt do it at all </TD></TR></TABLE>

How did he not do it right? I see no flaw in this intake. You need to get a solid backup of your information before you start attacking peoples ideas. You suck at life.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civictildeath &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cause dohc that is exactly how ricers do ****</TD></TR></TABLE>

Last time I checked "ricers" just put a bunch of stickers, bodykits, and a 3' wing on their car and called it a day. Not actually add to the engine.
Old 10-25-2004, 06:52 PM

i agree with DOHC4life...especially with the bitch **** comment....hilarious
Old 10-25-2004, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civictildeath &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cause dohc that is exactly how ricers do ****</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just stop dude. Any funtionaly DIY deserves a . The camouflage is kinda over though Thanks for the writeup...you are an asset to honda-tech.
Old 10-25-2004, 06:54 PM

Default Re: DIY short ram intake or CAI (eg6T)

my bad that was cappa's statement....excuse me
Old 10-25-2004, 06:54 PM

Ricers go and buy a intake. If they are real ghetto just unplug their stock and run no filter or slap a filter on the end of the stock elbow. I guess since I didnt buy mine Im a ricer. Damn I feel so hurt Im going to cry now. WAHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Well really not since you are a joke oh yea how are those bitch **** fatty???
Old 10-25-2004, 06:55 PM

Default Re: DIY short ram intake or CAI (B20ZLS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B20ZLS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Just stop dude. Any funtionaly DIY deserves a . Thanks for the writeup...you are an asset to honda-tech.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks man I would do more if I could figure out some stuff, but with some pole smoker bashing over a 20.00 intake its not worth it.
Old 10-25-2004, 06:56 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civictildeath &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you cant do it right you shouldnt do it at all </TD></TR></TABLE>

He did it right you douche. It's functional and works.

I hate wasting my 400th post on you
Old 10-25-2004, 06:56 PM

damn you people make me wanna sell my honda i can see why people hate honda drivers now (refer to pic)
Old 10-25-2004, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ignoring all the unnecesary comments, this is a good DIY Nice writeup.
Old 10-25-2004, 06:58 PM

Please do, and never come back.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Green00ex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ignoring all the unnecesary comments, this is a good DIY Nice writeup.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Best reply out of the last 10.

And civictildeath, if you didn't realize what I was implying earlier. I was saying IDIOTS like you who street race and speed like crazy in your honda, give honda owners a bad name. If people with imports never street raced, they wouldn't have bad names.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:03 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cappa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The bad part about the PVC pipe is they only sell it in 10' sections</TD></TR></TABLE>

I thought PVC was toxic if it gets heated up. Just want to throw that in there.

There's always used intakes going up on ebay.. great place to get one for under that $25 mark.

good write up!

No people like YOU give honda drivers a bad name
Old 10-25-2004, 07:04 PM

you should use metal piping instead of pvc. cause pvc will not stand engine heat and it will give off toxic fume.

Quick Reply: DIY short ram intake or CAI