Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

DIY:: Repairing Side Molding

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 02:02 PM

Mike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY:: Repairing Side Molding

I know there is a thread on this but I thought it would be neat to rewrite one up with some new techniques.

So lets get this started!!

Unfortunately I was half way throw the job before I decided to start writing this DIY. So I will redo most of the steps and post pictures in the next couple days when I have time.

What I used::
Paper towels
Aircraft Paint Remover
Low grit Sandpaper
Trim Paint
Cardboard Box
Air
Time(about 2-3 hours depending on whats in your car and access to tools)
Girlfriend

Remove the trim from the car. To take off the two longest pieces, you must remove the rear quarter paneling and door panel to access the clips, very simple. Unfortunately I am lazy and dont wish to remove my front fenders to get to the small trim pieces so Im going to be taping up fender and removing and applying the paint on the car. There are clips holding the trim to the fender/door/rear fender, all you have to do is pinch them with needle nose pliers and gently push out.(I got a boo boo from pressing to hard and I squished my thumb with the pliers and got a blood blister.)

Next, sand the entire trim piece and wash with acetone. Dont worry about the trim color rubbing off with it, remember you're repainting them.

I used a cardboard box and laid it on there. I sprayed the middle and top, waited 10-15 mins then flipped it over and sprayed middle and top again. Thus covering the outter edges in one coat and the center of the trim which is exposed the most with two coats.

After it is all dry and done, throw them on your car and marvel at your awesome painting skillz!

These techniques also apply to repainting mirrors, wiper arms, lips, and side skirts, mudflaps and grills on bumpers.

***I will get pictures soon.***

Thanks for reading and I hope this helps some of you! Feel free to leave a comment asking any question and be sure to get back to you ASAP.