Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

DIY: jdm amber clock! for $1.67!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: DIY: jdm amber clock! for $1.67!

Originally Posted by Matt93eg
Well I decided today I would do amber guage cluster and climate control. I went to autozone hoping to find some of the Amber 24 and 74 bulbs but they had none, so I got regular clear. Also pulled the bulb out for my Autometer oil psi gauge and took it in to see if I could match it up. It was a 161, then I went to hobby lobby and picked up some 1628 testors paint. 1st coat is on the bulbs now.

I think my carbon fiber oil psi gauge will look sweet amber. They sent me a green and red bulb cover with the guage and I have always used the red. But hopefully the amber will look sweet. Some are worried about the paint chipping, etc. I don't think this will be an issue as long as they are allowed to properly dry before they are installed. I am going to do 3 coats and see where that gets me. I have a styrofoam board and I have the connectors of the bulbs stuck in there. So I don't have to touch the bulbs until they are fully dried. I am taking the bulbs outside to paint and then bringing them in the house to dry as its rather nippy out.

NICE....it looks like I'm gonna be doingthe same thing...how much were the bulbs and paint?
Old 11-27-2009, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bulbs are to damn expensive for what they are. Got them at Autozone and they were $4.99 per pack, each pack includes 2 bulbs.

-2 Packs of #74 Bulbs
-3 Packs of #24 bulbs
-1 Pack of #161 bulbs for my Oil Psi gauge

Total after tax: $32.26

The paint I bought at Hobby Lobby and was $4.49, after tax it was $4.86

So $37.12 total plus fuel costs.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I got this wrapped up a bit ago and i'm very happy with the way it turned out. Wish I would have done it a long time ago. I ended up with 3 coats of paint on the bulbs and happy with the color they give off.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

very nice, props to all.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The bulbs are to damn expensive for what they are. Got them at Autozone and they were $4.99 per pack, each pack includes 2 bulbs.

-2 Packs of #74 Bulbs
-3 Packs of #24 bulbs
-1 Pack of #161 bulbs for my Oil Psi gauge

Total after tax: $32.26

The paint I bought at Hobby Lobby and was $4.49, after tax it was $4.86

So $37.12 total plus fuel costs.
damm should have ordered some amber bulbs from Autolumination.com

Would have been way cheaper. You still want the film right?
Old 11-27-2009, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mortificationrock
damm should have ordered some amber bulbs from Autolumination.com

Would have been way cheaper. You still want the film right?
Yeah I probably should have, I wanted to do it though..being impatient will cost every time

And yeah the film would be sweet. I sent you back a PM late yesterday evening when I got home from all the family stuff. I hope it went through. Let me know, if not I will re-send it
Old 11-27-2009, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I probably should have, I wanted to do it though..being impatient will cost every time

And yeah the film would be sweet. I sent you back a PM late yesterday evening when I got home from all the family stuff. I hope it went through. Let me know, if not I will re-send it
Yeah i got it. I wont be able to send till monday though cuz of my 4 day weekend. Ill ship it out to you on monday. Ill ship you a big enough piece in case u f up. Doubt it though. i got it on the first try.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mortificationrock
Yeah i got it. I wont be able to send till monday though cuz of my 4 day weekend. Ill ship it out to you on monday. Ill ship you a big enough piece in case u f up. Doubt it though. i got it on the first try.
Sounds great man. I really appreciate it alot. Shoot me your address via PM and I will mail you out some cash on Monday. Also, since you have worked with this stuff already. I have XM radio. The screen on my XM radio is 1 1/4" x 2 1/2". I thought about putting the film over it to make it look amber as well. Do you think this could work? It would look alot better amber now to blend with the cluster, climate control. Let me know what you think.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds great man. I really appreciate it alot. Shoot me your address via PM and I will mail you out some cash on Monday. Also, since you have worked with this stuff already. I have XM radio. The screen on my XM radio is 1 1/4" x 2 1/2". I thought about putting the film over it to make it look amber as well. Do you think this could work? It would look alot better amber now to blend with the cluster, climate control. Let me know what you think.

Is it possible to have too much amber? I am about to buy a new deck and I was looking at alpines but I figured the blue would throw everything off...so I started looking at Sony cuz their red...but when I bought dome lights they sent me blue instead of hyper white so I might just end up going with alpine... Can you put that film over a deck?
Old 11-28-2009, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Honda24noobish
Is it possible to have too much amber? I am about to buy a new deck and I was looking at alpines but I figured the blue would throw everything off...so I started looking at Sony cuz their red...but when I bought dome lights they sent me blue instead of hyper white so I might just end up going with alpine... Can you put that film over a deck?
thats the reason i have the oem radio lol...... i might try to do the clock DIY thums up

note* sorry for the bad pictures
Attached Images   
Old 11-28-2009, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea yours came out really orange...IMO I think the more of a redish color is nicer but great job man came out lookin great...shouldve done the clock when the dash was off...was it a pain?
Old 11-28-2009, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a Kenwood headunit and I am leaving it alone, I just thought I would try to amber out the XM radio. I was just driving home a bit ago and my Kenwood CD player unit doesn't seem bright enough to look ugly next to the Amber Cluster/Climate Control, the XM radio on the other hand is really clear and bright, Its a big enough screen I think it would look sweet amber.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a Kenwood headunit and I am leaving it alone, I just thought I would try to amber out the XM radio. I was just driving home a bit ago and my Kenwood CD player unit doesn't seem bright enough to look ugly next to the Amber Cluster/Climate Control, the XM radio on the other hand is really clear and bright, Its a big enough screen I think it would look sweet amber.
Nice nice post up pics of the radio when ur done!!! And post up pics of your new CC
Old 11-29-2009, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice nice post up pics of the radio when ur done!!! And post up pics of your new CC
I will if I can ever get my camera to work. I can't get it to come on or nothing, even with fresh batteries. Looks like I need a new one.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cool, may try this on my DC2
Old 11-29-2009, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NBPej1
Michael's is just like a crafts supply store.
Here's my amber dash, just in case anybody wants to see it. I used amber bulbs from autoillumination.com for the cluster and climate control, and jdm pieces for the clock and switches

WHOA how'd you get your climate control to light up like that? i wanna know if its possible to do on mine cuz only the button lights lite up
and id also wanna know if it be possible to have them light up purple or light purple?
Old 11-29-2009, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by [713]
WHOA how'd you get your climate control to light up like that? i wanna know if its possible to do on mine cuz only the button lights lite up
and id also wanna know if it be possible to have them light up purple or light purple?
Go back a few pages and read the diy..you can do what ever color you like I'm guessing.....mine doesn't light up either ..just the buttons and that is green...I'm thinking since there's alot of this problem on the forums that it may be a defect...I'm planning on doing this to mine in the weeks to come once money loosens up a bit
Old 11-30-2009, 02:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just bought my bulbs from autoilumination!!! Can't wait to install em...anyone know what size the coin pocket light is? I pulled it out and it looks like a 74 but not sure
Old 11-30-2009, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just bought my bulbs from autoilumination!!! Can't wait to install em...anyone know what size the coin pocket light is? I pulled it out and it looks like a 74 but not sure
Yeah its a #74, Mine had been burnt out for sometime and although I don't smoke I replaced it and put a #74 in there and it works fine.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah its a #74, Mine had been burnt out for sometime and although I don't smoke I replaced it and put a #74 in there and it works fine.
That's great seeing as how I ordered an extra #74 haha so I ordered 6 #74-and 6 #24s that's enough right?

Cost me 17.88$ and that's because I o
choose priority mail
Old 11-30-2009, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's great seeing as how I ordered an extra #74 haha so I ordered 6 #74-and 6 #24s that's enough right?

Cost me 17.88$ and that's because I o
choose priority mail
DAMN, I got *** raped on the price of the bulbs at autozone and still had to buy paint and paint them so there not true amber. SOAB! Damn I should have ordered from autoalumination to..I always learn the hardway though.

That should be plenty of bulbs, my gauge cluster used 5 #24s and 1 #74 and the climate control takes 2 #74s and then throw another 74 in that cointray/ashtray.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

DAMN, I got *** raped on the price of the bulbs at autozone and still had to buy paint and paint them so there not true amber. SOAB! Damn I should have ordered from autoalumination to..I always learn the hardway though.

That should be plenty of bulbs, my gauge cluster used 5 #24s and 1 #74 and the climate control takes 2 #74s and then throw another 74 in that cointray/ashtray.
True you did get raped ...but you didn't have to wait 2-5 mailing days lol...but it does give me time to get the stuff for the amber clock..=] I'm gonna go to my sisters house and grab some nail polish and paint the stock done light for the he'll of it too lol illpost pics when I'm done...if I'm not lazy hahaha
Old 11-30-2009, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon4 Re: DIY: jdm amber clock! for $1.67!

Originally Posted by blackjdmcoupe
thats the reason i have the oem radio lol...... i might try to do the clock DIY thums up

note* sorry for the bad pictures
thumbs up for the jdm climate control
Old 11-30-2009, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump nice.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

didnt know so many people were obsessed with making their lights amber. haha.

Quick Reply: DIY: jdm amber clock! for $1.67!