Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

DIY: fresh air ducting for stock EG airbox using OEM Honda / Acura parts

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 07:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY: fresh air ducting for stock EG airbox using OEM Honda / Acura parts

Vehicle tested: '93 Honda Civic Si

Engine: original D16Z6 SOHC VTEC with 124K miles

Existing engine mods: EXEDY Racing lightweight flywheel (10.9 lbs)

Intake set-up: Factory rubber intake tube, factory EH3 airbox (USDM 92-95 Civic airboxes are identical to one another though), stock HONDA green panel filter, modified air ducting

The factory Civic piping that feeds from the resonator chamber has been cropped - leaving a short duct (see diagram below) that fits into the rubber grommet / opening of the original airbox. This works fine, but in an effort to properly route fresh air from my newly-cut bumper cover (opening was made where original fog light once sat), I wanted to make an extension.

I had a spare '94-'01 Integra non-VTEC intake set-up, so I decided to see what I could do using OEM parts. This set-up in it of itself would be awesome to retro-fit into my Civic, but it ain't happening so long as I retain my air-conditioning. There's simply not enough room and the hood won't clear it. Note that the Integra ducting has been "freed" from the Integra resonator chamber. I did this by placing a flat-head screwdriver along the seam of the resonator chamber box and pounding with a hammer to "crack" it open. The tubing then is easily removed.

To modify the Integra piping, I made the necessary cuts using a hacksaw. Follow-up by sanding the edges and getting rid of the plastic burrs.

On the left is my modified Civic intake duct piece. On the right, is the modified Integra piece.

Because the Civic ducting transitions from a slightly oblong shape (as opposed to completely round), the Integra ducting slips over it and can be secured using a hose clamp.

Installed shot. And yes, you really should put your inner fender liner back in place. I have a new one on order from the dealership.

Newfound fresh air.

Probably should add some sort of velocity stack / air horn onto this...

Engine bay shot...

Driving impressions: modifying the Civic piping and ditching the resonator chamber and the additional piping that basically inhaled underhood air was a huge improvement by itself. So adding the Integra air extension tube didn't make a dramatic difference by any means. However, this set-up in its entirety is very easy to do and has performed very well for me. I've debated about larger diameter rubber intake tubes, but with the exception of the factory ITR tube, none of them offer a straight shot. Even the JDM B16 rubber intake tube has an attached resonator / silencer added to it. I wanted to avoid adding PVC caps or similar to eliminate those parts. So for now, I'm sticking with the stock Si / EX intake tube. Great all around power and low-key sound, which was not the case with my P/W: JDM set-up I was running before...

Hope this helps!

Modified by 93_EH3 at 8:26 AM 12/11/2007

Modified by 93_EH3 at 8:28 AM 12/11/2007
Old 12-11-2007, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY: fresh air ducting for stock EG airbox using OEM Honda / Acura parts

IFPWIGH!!!! After reading this I am interested to see how it looks. (Can't view pics from work).
Old 12-11-2007, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm glad someone finally did this, i've been doing the same thing to my civics for years.

rawkon
Old 12-11-2007, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Neat idea! That is really cool.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:49 AM

Default Re: (EK_B)

Check this... https://honda-tech.com/zero...age=3

and this
https://honda-tech.com/zero...age=8
Old 12-11-2007, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (rhennin)

Good stuff
Old 12-11-2007, 09:24 AM

Default Re: (rhennin)

Thanks for the link! Bump for a great product - definitely worth looking into...

Old 04-11-2008, 11:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

People ask me all the time if I have an intake. I just took my resonator off. It sounds good and clears up some space in the engine bay.